Linked brakes not so bad

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gurock: Why did the rear brake stick? How stuck is "stuck"? The "fix" was to let everything cool down, right?

The brakes stuck because the pivot-point lube PM wasn't observed. It's the pivot point of the splined shaft for the rear brake pedal that "sticks" (not the brake pads, etc.). Remove the brake pedal and clean/lube the pivot point per PM instructions.

This discusses the levers but the exploded diagrams and associated text address the foot pedal, too.

https://www.fjr-tips.org/maint/levers/levers.html

Last edited by a moderator:
[/whack]
And thus the paralysis begins. RBE if you're scared of brakes, here's a suggestion: simply don't use them. Problem solved, send beer.
Brakes I'm not scared of, having malfunctioning brakes I'm scared of. See above re: my ABS failure.

The questions I asked are only diagnostic. The ABS ECU and metering valve comments are based solely on the diagram I saw and guesses backed with remembering what I've read here.

Oh, something I omitted from the account. I was at the top of a hill when the brakes 95% went away. The good news is the other 5% brought me to a stop, in front of an Advance Auto. The bad news is their BMW ABS parts were on back order and not due until hell freezes over. At least their parking lot served as a good run-out trap.
wink.png

Bounce is right about what made the pedal stick. Except that the parts themselves were so badly used and abused that I think the mechanic may have changed some when I brought it in. BTW the mechanic told me I think wisely to change the rear pads (all chewed up) he said. I had bought the bike used and some of this was the fault of the PO. after this incident I make sure that those parts get lubed at every oil change.

I am much more of a front brake guy. In normal conditions I just use a little rear brakes because I dont always think of linked brakes and I want to ride safe. Im truly an engine brake guy most of the time.

Also this incident didnt scare me off the platform as I just traded my 07 for an 09.

You hit on why I think it's wise to pay for a good mechanic to go over a bike before buying it. Expect to put up to full price (get a receipt!) before the bike gets moved, of course. A checkup is cheaper than unknowingly buying a project bike. DAMHIK

I hate, Hate, HATE linked brakes! They are DEADLY on a dirt or gravel road, where you only want your rear brake.

If you have ABS, you're fine. I've had linked brakes (a 1991 Venture Royale) and it TERRIFIED me on dirt roads. IMHO, if you can't control separated brakes the problem is YOU.

But that's just my opinion.

Please go back through this thread. Using the brake pedal doesn't immediately kick in light front brake action. I wish there was a way to know when the pedal is activating the two front bake pots. To date, I have yet to get a hint of a problem with trail baking my FJR. (Yes, I have drunken the "FJRs' linked brakes aren't so bad" Kool-Aide)

I'm not quite sure I understand why you're winding up about off-road riding here. IMNSHO the FJR isn't exactly the best choice to go boonie bashing. But maybe that's just a lack of skill and knowledge on my part. Somehow I think I got this one right, though. :)

I have known lots of people who are terrified to ride on unpaved roads. Mostly because they havent done it enough. Just like any other fear, its all in your mind. After theyve ridden with me a few times they usually get over it because I often use unpaved roads even on the FJR. Cutting out unpaved roads would eliminate about half of the roads in Vermont. :lol:

You know, you can use your front brake off pavement. Even dirt bikes have front brakes. You cant just grab a fist full, but you can use them to slow you down.

Master your fears and take control of your life!

It might be my imagination,but I think I can sense it when the front brake grabs as you increase pressure while applying the rear. Its subtitle for sure and certainly could be my imagination.

Like it or not, the FJRs brakes are really good. The feel is linear and predictable and when pushed, any fade is not noticeable. And the stopping power, even fully loaded with camping gear, is more than adequate for me.

I started this thread because of concerns about braking on steep grades - say 8-14%. In that situation I go for engine braking and the rear brakes to get some braking while keeping the forks from compressing (bad on bumpy roads) until I'm somewhere near the speed I want. At that point front brakes certainly make sense. I get that front braking, when it kicks in, is certainly less than using only the front brakes. NTL some sort of feedback would make me happy. But then, so would self-canceling turn signals.

@Fred W : Last weekend I took my bike down a serious, kick-butt unpaved road. The access road for a small grass strip was anything from gravel to ballast (railroad bed size). I did the Ewan and Charlie thing and went through standing on the pegs. The guy in front of me must have been more nervous than me. He tippy-toed down the road. Not Fun for me. Coming back I was in front, picked things up a bit and hunted for the worn or packed spots. Mission accomplished. NTL not my fave thing to do. Packed dirt and small gravel is OK, though. :)

@hppants Generally I find the brakes progressive right up to the last few MPH, where it's too easy have them seem to grab hard. It's one of my less than favorite things about the FJR.

@Fred W : Last weekend I took my bike down a serious, kick-butt unpaved road. The access road for a small grass strip was anything from gravel to ballast (railroad bed size). I did the Ewan and Charlie thing and went through standing on the pegs. The guy in front of me must have been more nervous than me. He tippy-toed down the road. Not Fun for me. Coming back I was in front, picked things up a bit and hunted for the worn or packed spots. Mission accomplished. NTL not my fave thing to do. Packed dirt and small gravel is OK, though. :)
Practice makes perfect. :thumbsup:

I've ridden plenty of dirt and gravel roads on street bikes, because I've never owned a dirt or dual-purpose bike, and having un-linked brakes makes it much easier because you can use your back brake aggressively and your front brake gently. Been doing it for over 40 years now.

I suggest that you try the FJR version of linked brakes on an unpaved road before you poo-poo them. There is no way you are going to lock up the linked front and tuck the front end. All three brake circuits have advanced ABS.

Not having dirt bike experience is not a plus.

What Fred said! [/ two thumbs up ]

I suppose if you wanted to lock up the back to do some sick move, unlinked, no ABS would be the way to go. But since you're on an '04 FJR, I don't think you're going to be flat tracking it like this:

kenny-roberts-4.jpg

The only thing you lose if the power goes out on the FJR is the ABS. Braking effectiveness is identical - pure hydraulics with no vacuum or servo assist.Hard to believe that BMW would unnecessarily complicate stuff at possible risk to the rider. Oh, wait a minute, this is BMW and German over-engineering we're talking about. Let's make it so complicated that nobody other than a BMW "Technician" can fix it at hugely inflated cost. And so complex that mechanical failures are almost certain, especially when built by a company whose reputation (inexplicably) greatly exceeds their quality control. No doubt, however, that they make some stuff with a "kool" factor.
German engineering..."We got a great idea. We will make it work even if it requires more complexity"

Japanese engineering..."We got a great idea. If it doesn't work out and we have to make it more complex to get it to work, we will try another approach"

Italian engineering.... "We had a great idea. We will continue to improve it, while attempting to make it better and most importantly, aesthetically beautiful"

American engineering... "We had a great idea. We will continue to use it even though it's outdated compared to the rest of the market"