Little comparison, V-strom, 900gt

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JamesW

JamesW
Reaction score
Currently my 2nd bike is a 2014 1000 V-strom, I know many FJR riders have 2nd, 3rd or more rides. My 2013 FJR is my main ride and usually the primary choice,however, I am always looking down the road due to aging, aches and pains. Lighter has become more important ( wing is gone and the wife no longer rides). The new Yamaha tracer 900gt was looking good to me until I started reading small print and comparing. My strom weighs 502lbs wet, the GT is 503lbs wet, bags are probably 10lbish for both. Fuel tanks, 4.8gals. GT, 5.3 Gals. for the strom. Rear wheel Hp. for the gt is 102hp @ 10,000rpm, 90hp @ 8000 for the strom. Torque is 57.4 @ 8800 for the gt and 64.9@ 4000rpm for the V. GT comes with heated grips and cruise, the V has neither. Both have throttle modes and traction control. Gt comes with centerstand, V does not (one was installed). The new chain drives on these bikes are marvelous compared to ones on my 75 k750, 22000 miles is not unusual on the Vs chain when maintained. Chains are light and efficient but can be messy, O-rings work great. The V has a cute little light for freeze warnings which is kind of cool. Strom has a 19 inch front wheel and a larger windscreen, both of which work well for me. Ugliest bike I have ever owned but comfy to ride and therefore a keeper (for now). Would like to hear back from any 900gt riders out there and there real world experiences.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^ what he said ^^^

Says the current owner of 1 Wee ('12) and previously 2 other Wees ('08 & and '09) and 1 Vee ('09). Luv all of those damn bikes!

fjrbandit/stromtrooper

My 07 Wee just went through 77,777 no problem miles! More smiles per mile per dollar than ANY other bike I've ever owned!

I can't compare my Tracer GT to a V-Strom 1000 because I've never owned one. The GT is one sweet bike. I've had mine since August and I find myself riding it much more than my FJR. I'd be happy to field any questions about the GT. Crazy fun to ride locally or long distance. The power in "A" mode is exhilarating. The seating position is excellent! Much less knee bend for the rider than on the FJR. A great solo rider touring bike. The fully adjustable suspension is also excellent. Rayzerman rode it at EOM and about 6 people rode it at Geeks Tech Day. They all came back with big smiles on their faces.

The current gen (Vee2) VStrom is not the ugliest girl at the dance, by any means. The early Gen Stroms, like my old 04 were in the running, but the ugliest ever has to go to the Ducati MTS1000s. Those things looked pretty retarded. Sweet engines on all of them, but goofy looking.

I looked hard for a new VStrom 1000 XT to replace my old 04, but they just arent available for less than msrp, and thats a bit stiff. Ended up getting a leftover 2017 Africa Twin, which is really a similar kind of bike as the XT but with bigger diameter wheels. Honda was willing to deal the leftovers after they came out with the porkier Africa Twin Adventure Sport.

Id just hang on to your Vstrom. Thats a heck of a versatile bike you already have. It will take you places that you probably dont want to go.

I will throw another gem into the mix. How about the Versys 650LT? I am obviously biased, but my 2016 650LT is a great bike. Has plenty of useable power to cruise at HWY speeds and more. Plus it's pretty light at 496 fully dressed. You can pick up a gently used for around 5.5k. So it won't break the bank. But this bike is a joy taking it into the twisties. Very flickable. Not the power of the triple. But I've hit triple digits on many occasions, and not down hill! Lol