Locking the Forks (For Security)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SacramentoMike

Not Safe For Work
Reaction score
I'll begin with clarification. We all know how you lock the forks all the way over to the left with the ignition key. Question is, is that enough security? (To prevent actual theft of the bike, that is.)

The guy who sold me my first FJR included a nifty little brake disc lock that I've never used. Bike's too heavy to pick up the front and walk away, right? I'm sure you could get it away (like from a motel parking lot) with a lot of effort, but it just seems like a very long shot/low risk to lock the forks and let it go at that.

Curious if anybody has contrary thoughts or experience that would change my mind. And I know a lot of folks use bike alarms, but they're more to protect the contents of the bags and various removable farkles and things, right? But how have they worked for you? Dependability/durability? False alarms? Thanks for your thoughts.

Last edited by a moderator:
I lock the forks if I am on the road and I use a cable lock for the trailer so they have to steal it also.

Other than that I figure that is what the insurance if for and I am usually armed. ;)

In 1980, my 1979 XS Eleven Special was stolen...right out of the apartment parking lot, I was sleeping with the windows open on a spring night. My bike was 60 feet from my bed. I had a heavy duty cable lock at the rear tire swing arm area.

My friends came back from the bar at 1am and woke me up and asked where I parked my bike. Usual spot I said. uh-oh, they said. :(

For this 21 YO, that was a very cruel blow.

The cop thought that a couple of guys broke the cable, broke the steering lock and walked it up a ramp onto a pickup truck. Damn Okies. :angry2: Stole it for the motor, the cop thought.

Insurance got me an XS 850, but that bike was no Eleven. :( (I had no cash to make up the difference to get an Eleven)

Best bike I ever had until the FJR came around.

My take is this:

If a professional thief wants to steel your bike, he will.

An amateur thief may brake the steering lock - I can't tell you how easy the FJR's steering lock is compared to other bikes', but I have heard of this being done.

Neither a steering lock nor a cable through the wheels and frame will stop four strong men from lifting the bike into a truck. A cable through the bike and a fixture (lamp post or whatever) will slow them a little, but probably will deter the amateur, at least until the next night when he'll come armed with bolt cutters.The proffesionals will already have bolt cutters with them.

Normally I rely on the steering lock as a deterrent (and, being a European bike, it has a blinking light indicating an immobiliser). However, I'm soon going on an extended tour, don't know where the bike may be parked, so I've now got a disc lock. I didn't particularly go for the most thief-proof, I went for one with high visibility. Encourage the ungodly to try an easier mark. Oh, yes, the other advantage of high visibility is that I am less likely to try to ride off with the lock still on ...

I have seen video (CCTV) where a thief walked up to an FJR, kicked the left handlebar (to break the steering lock), walked the bike out of view for about 30 seconds, then rode away! So, as has already been said the best you can hope for is to deter the occasional, opportunist thief. If someone is determined to steal your bike, just make sure you are well covered insurance wise!

Don

First off I do carry a rotor lock just in case. It should slow down a opportunistic thief . I don't trust the steering lock as I have heard, as others have stated, that it can be fairly easily broken.

Unfortunately, I have also heard that some thieves drive around with a flat bed trailer and when they spot their target they stop and lay the bike over on the trailer and drive off. (they better bring padding or they will trash an FJR) I figure my rotor lock makes me feel better and becomes a pain in their ass but in reality if they want it they will get it.

I only use the rotor lock if I have to leave the bike in an unfamiliar area when traveling. Just makes me feel that I did all that I could within reason.

My opinion is that rotor locks are a waste of money. I've seen the cheaper ones picked easily (some with a ball point pen). Most thieves are going to part the bike out anyway, so they just take the front wheel off and remove the disc, with the lock still attached.

Some good--and SCARY :dribble: points made. Yep, insurance covers theft, but it sure would feck up a nice trip, dealing with all that.

SO . . . ALARMS! Nobody's mentioned them yet. Have one? Like it? Drawbacks? Recommendations?

I never bother with the fork lock or any other add on locks, the AE isn't rolling anywhere parked in gear anyway. I do have a Gorilla alarm installed and the reason that I like it is that it features a 2 way pager; it notifies me if there is a shock, if the bike is taken off the side stand or if there is a change in electrical voltage. If I'm at a location where there are a lot of loud bikes aka cruisers, the shock sensor can be easily deactivated via the remote. Easy install.

But yeah, if a professional type thief wants your bike, it's gone.

Sacmike...I'm with ya, kinda wish I hadn't read this thread. Now I'm feeling neked! I found this and figure it'd be worth it for the "wake up call" inside your room if someone's jacking with the bike.

https://www.google.com/products/catalog?rls=DELA,DELA:2006-04,DELA:en&q=gorilla+alarm+8017&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=10009390835939518890&sa=X&ei=tgSETabXKZSusAObyv3xAQ&ved=0CCgQ8wIwAg#

For $140.00 I'm beginning to think it'd be nice piece of mind.

Why don't ya just Lay yer Chastity belt across the seat? Thieves would give up on the scoot and start looking for you then.. ;)

I purchased, installed and used the top of the line Scorpio alarm system for nearly two years. It was fun to play with and had a solid ignition kill function. But the proximity sensor was a massive disappointment. I didn't find out how it really worked until AFTER I purchased the alarm system and then was allowed to talk to the guy who answers real customer questions (not sales support).

The alarm was a fair deterrent against the casual passer-by thief. But it was not nearly as secure, or sensitive as I thought before I made the purchase.

I wouldn't buy/install another one unless there was real insurance savings to justify it.

Imo, the siren part of any alarm is pretty much useless in a heavily populated urban area, who pays attention to them? Most people ignore them and just get ticked because it's going off. Being notified that someone is messing with your ride is where the real benefit is.

And of course there's always systems like lo jack for recovery after the fact.

If you cover the bike up at night, I think most folks will leave it alone. I do use a Xena disc brake lock both as a deterrent and noise maker...but in the end if someone wants the bike it's a goner. Like Ashe, I've installed a Scorpio with all the bells and whistles but it's not going to keep a determined thief away either.

Perhaps the only answer is a thick cable with a Doberman attached to the end... ;)

--G

Sacmike...I'm with ya, kinda wish I hadn't read this thread. Now I'm feeling neked! I found this and figure it'd be worth it for the "wake up call" inside your room if someone's jacking with the bike.

https://www.google.com/products/catalog?rls=DELA,DELA:2006-04,DELA:en&q=gorilla+alarm+8017&um=1&ie=UTF-8&cid=10009390835939518890&sa=X&ei=tgSETabXKZSusAObyv3xAQ&ved=0CCgQ8wIwAg#

For $140.00 I'm beginning to think it'd be nice piece of mind.

Why don't ya just Lay yer Chastity belt across the seat? Thieves would give up on the scoot and start looking for you then.. ;)
Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of me wearing it to maintain my pristine untouched virginal status? Besides, if I leave it out overnight the high-carbon steel rusts and it chafes something fierce! Maybe you could recomend something more comfy in all-natural wool?

In 1980, my 1979 XS Eleven Special was stolen...right out of the apartment parking lot, I was sleeping with the windows open on a spring night. My bike was 60 feet from my bed. I had a heavy duty cable lock at the rear tire swing arm area.

My friends came back from the bar at 1am and woke me up and asked where I parked my bike. Usual spot I said. uh-oh, they said. :(

For this 21 YO, that was a very cruel blow.

The cop thought that a couple of guys broke the cable, broke the steering lock and walked it up a ramp onto a pickup truck. Damn Okies. :angry2: Stole it for the motor, the cop thought.

Insurance got me an XS 850, but that bike was no Eleven. :( (I had no cash to make up the difference to get an Eleven)

Best bike I ever had until the FJR came around.
Okies are descendants from the outlaws Judge Parker didn't hang and threw across the river....

The outlaws mated with the Cherokee and Choctaw.

It went downhill from there.

I try to make friends with as many as I can, so they won't steal my stuff.

:thumbsup:

Last edited by a moderator:
Be curious to know if or how many FJRs have been stolen. Doesn't seem to me to be a big target for theifs who would probably jump quicker at a lighter full sport bike. Besides, no thieves allowe on FJRFORUM so what would they do with an FJR anyway?

I was in Sturgis a few years back where some Harley poser put one of those locks on his bike. The next morning, he forgot he put it on. Made a hell of a racket and tore the bejeezus out of the front forks.