Looking for advice on Tie Down Straps

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SurvivorGuy

Reaction score
Whoo-boy, prepare yourself! There are so many differing opinions that there's never been a consensus. My advice is: nothing special. Just do it the way you've always done it. I use a front wheel chock/ratchet strap to hold the front wheel firm, the original canyon dancer, and a couple ratchet straps on the rear wheel. Done. The canyon dancer is for stabilizing vertical, not for cinching down tight.

Do yourself a favor and buy a Condor wheel chock. They are so stable that it will actually hold the bike vertical while you get the straps in place. Your bike will not fall over, period! Personally, I use a Canyon Dancer harness on the handlebars as well. A little overkill, I know. I also run a strap on both passenger footpeg brackets to the front. I then finish it off with a strap through the rear wheel tied to the rear. And...
AND I always use RATCHET straps. Lately I've been buying the ones that have a safety clip on the hook. It's never happened to me but it did to a couple of my friends on their way to Sturgis. They didn't bother to stop along the way to check the straps and 500 miles later they found their Harley "snuggling" with the other guy's chopper, gas tank to gas tank! That not only ruined the paint on both tanks but it also wore a hole through one of them. How it didn't start on fire, I'll never know. So yeah, I'm a little paranoid about straps coming loose. Jevers

A visual - Helps if your straps are not 2 miles long - bring some zipties if they are ;)
IMG_20210410_143357_1.jpg

I've been using a Canyon Dancer strap for years. Rock Solid and soft (no scratched up handle bar area). Very well made too. I add straps to the back just for extra stability.

Pete-o

I just towed my 2013 in a U-Haul cycle trailer like Oldjeep shows. I'd read one of the LOOOOONG threads here on the different opinions and chose to tie down at the at each side of the lower triple tree (lower fork brace just up under the fairing plastic). Just missed touching any plastic when using anchor points as low as what is shown in Oldjeeps pic. Same loop through rear as he describes. Good luck!

Canyon Dancer for sure BUT if you have Heli-Bar risers, they say not to do that. Prob OK if not cinched way down, but your call.
BUT THE BEST IS THE PIT BULL TRAILER RESTRAINT SYSTEM. No tie downs, no cracked bodywork, no tip overs trying to cinch it, no sweating your ass off untying the straps, no over compressed suspension in travel. You would think I worked for them and get commission (I DON'T)!
I have used these on several bikes, at 80 miles an hour on the highway, through the pot hole laden New York City and have never had a problem. A little pricey and worth it after the first load.
'07- '22:
https://www.pit-bull.com/browse-yam...aint-system-yamaha-fjr1300-07-22-FYAM034-TRS2'03-'06:
https://www.pit-bull.com/browse-yam...ystem-yamaha-fjr1300-03-04-05-06-FYAM034-TRS1

Last edited:
Do yourself a favor and buy a Condor wheel chock. They are so stable that it will actually hold the bike vertical while you get the straps in place. Your bike will not fall over, period! Personally, I use a Canyon Dancer harness on the handlebars as well. A little overkill, I know. I also run a strap on both passenger footpeg brackets to the front. I then finish it off with a strap through the rear wheel tied to the rear. And...
AND I always use RATCHET straps. Lately I've been buying the ones that have a safety clip on the hook. It's never happened to me but it did to a couple of my friends on their way to Sturgis. They didn't bother to stop along the way to check the straps and 500 miles later they found their Harley "snuggling" with the other guy's chopper, gas tank to gas tank! That not only ruined the paint on both tanks but it also wore a hole through one of them. How it didn't start on fire, I'll never know. So yeah, I'm a little paranoid about straps coming loose. Jevers
This is the trailer I tow it with, this is how I've been tying it down.

Attachments

• 20230203_182644.jpg
    20230203_182644.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 2
Canyon Dancer for sure BUT if you have Heli-Bar risers, they say not to do that. Prob OK if not cinched way down, but your call.
BUT THE BEST IS THE PIT BULL TRAILER RESTRAINT SYSTEM. No tie downs, no cracked bodywork, no tip overs trying to cinch it, no sweating your ass off untying the straps, no over compressed suspension in travel. You would think I worked for them and get commission (I DON'T)!
I have used these on several bikes, at 80 miles an hour on the highway, through the pot hole laden New York City and have never had a problem. A little pricey and worth it after the first load.
'07- '22:
https://www.pit-bull.com/browse-yam...aint-system-yamaha-fjr1300-07-22-FYAM034-TRS2'03-'06:
https://www.pit-bull.com/browse-yam...ystem-yamaha-fjr1300-03-04-05-06-FYAM034-TRS1
Looks like a perfect option, just a bit pricey... I appreciate the heads-up and will consider this one..

'07- '22:
That system is the only other way of tiedown I've ever seen a picture of a trailer on its side with the MC still at a 90 degree angle to the trailer.