LOUD horn installation

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I installed 2 FIAM Freeway Blasters, (2 tone) on my gen 2.

After 3 installs of this horn on other bikes, I found they worked best when I supplied power ,through a relay, directly from the battery using 16 G wire.

In my case(s) it was quite a noticable difference with the direct connection.

They do draw more current than the stock pip squeeks and I suspect the switch and wiring are quite light.

As for SPL, yes louder is better but the brain is more attracted to the dual tones as opposed to the single. (eg:emergency vehicle siren)

.Changing from 1 horn to 2 is only a 3 db increase in relative SPL.

Last edited by a moderator:
I've had the 400-500 hz units on an FJR in the past, and they've been good but has anyone tried the 500-600 versions?
I think the 400-500 is more effective as it has more of a "Buick Roadmaster" sound. You can hear them both here:

PIAA 85110 400-500 Hz

I just ordered the 85110 400-500 Hz pair from Amazon.com for $47.57 shipped.

I just finished installing the 400/500 HZ horns on mine. Big difference in (perceived) audible loudness from stock. Mine were the 85114's though. Not sure why PIAA makes a couple different 400/500 sets. These are flat all the way down the front of them and don't have the horn shape at the bottoms like the 110's & 112's. I didn't have the piggyback connectors like Fred mentioned but did have positaps so I used those.

Yes - those are the Slim Line Sports Horns...

https://www.amazon.com/85114-400Hz-500Hz-112db-Sports/dp/B004FXMGLY

85114.jpg

Installed on the 15 the other day, - had the same ones on the 05 and an excellent upgrade to the cheap crap that comes on the bike...

Might be worth mentioning that it appears that the 500 and 600 Hz sports horns have the trumpet shaped outlets on the same side. The 400/500 Hz units do not, which may make fitting them in the tight space we have a little bit easier. Of course the slim-lines don't have any trumpets, so they should fit fine in there regardless.

PIAA-85110-Gallery-img1.jpg

Decided to try the 500/600 and so far very pleased. While they may be rated the same db, I think the higher pitch might get the attention better. They've been very effective on at least 3 occasions this past week with people changing lane into my lane. As far as install, they were the same shape as the 400/500s. The 500hz horn is the same in both kits, and the 600 is the same shape as the 400hz. So nothing tricky involved.

I put my slim PIAA horns in today (while also installing my heat controllers). They are a lot louder than stock! I should've measured before with my RTA setup to get a comparison, oops!

The 500hz horn is the same in both kits, and the 600 is the same shape as the 400hz. So nothing tricky involved.
Good to know. I saw at least one photo of the 500-600 kit (look at the opening view for the video above) where it showed both horns appeared to be of the same shape, curling in the same direction.

Did you take any photos of your install? (You can PM me if you need help posting them) I'll probably get around to doing mine in a week or two and will measure the sound pressure levels, just for grins.

The 500hz horn is the same in both kits, and the 600 is the same shape as the 400hz. So nothing tricky involved.
Good to know. I saw at least one photo of the 500-600 kit (look at the opening view for the video above) where it showed both horns appeared to be of the same shape, curling in the same direction.

Did you take any photos of your install? (You can PM me if you need help posting them) I'll probably get around to doing mine in a week or two and will measure the sound pressure levels, just for grins.
Sorry, didn't take pics but happy to take some if you like. Used the original mounting point for the left side (from rider position), and made a bracket from some right angle extruded aluminum stock that is mounted beneath the battery box on the right side. Didn't want to mount from the radiator as someone else did.

Yeah, if you don't mind getting them, some photos of that right side mount would be helpful.

I am of the same mind, not wanting to mount from the radiator guard unless I can't come up with something better.

No rush on the photos as my horns won't likely arrive for a week or so.

Fred, If you are going to mount the Slim Line PIAA's why not mount the right horn on the radiator stud? The horn is very light weight and fits perfectly on that stud. I and other have done it that way with no reported issues. If I thought using the radiator stud would have in any way presented a future problem I would have gone for a Rube Goldberg bracket. I now await opposing views!

I agree Art. The slim lines are very light and will not pose any issues with the radiator guard bolt. And also as you stated, it tucks up nicely into the right inner panel recess area to match the left horn mount. I have plenty of fork clearance on both sides.

I will not be installing slimlines. I'm getting the (3dB louder) Sports Horns. And I'd prefer to use a more substantial mount if I can easily come up with one in any case.