• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

LOW mile '14 ES - Not mine, but cheap. $7k

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I just texted. No mention of "Jussie." lol.I googled the phone number first. It's a MD area code.
Makes sense, right? Lotta people in Cali with Maryland burner phones.
rolleyes.gif

Google Jussie to see where my little joke was going.
Haha. Ya, I did.
smile.png

I've seen that story in passing, but never paid enough attention to actually catch the guy's name. Lol

But, yea, scamming on a FJR sounds like something Jussie would do too.
laugh.gif

Regarding selling prices for used FJRs, the book value is completely useless. None the less, this one is way cheap. And its not none stock either.

Something tells me this bike has been in an accident and repaired. To good to be true. Modified exhaust from the Cylinders back and a power comander. Yeh, someone had a need for speed and went down. Now its out of the shop and up for sale. That's my prognosis. My first question to this guy would be has it been in an accident.

Dave

Last edited by a moderator:
... I dunno. It's kinda "in the zone." Could be he just wants a quick sale.I mean, what is the best likely sales price? What would be a reasonable "ask"? I'm thinking anything higher than $8500 would be too much to ask, considering a 2014 is now 5 model years old and this one is not that farkled. Maybe $8k as a reasonable expectation, after waiting for the right buyer??? I suppose some folks just want a quick sale and to be done with it...

Could also have cosmetic defects. I'm still curious about those "wind deflectors" on the mirrors. Are they normal?
I think those oversized mirror covers are wind guards and were OEM Yamaha accessories. I believe I remember hearing they could be purchased in Europe or Canada from Yamaha and that they were pretty efficient at blocking wind from your hands.
Ah, I see. Kinda like very forward-mountedhand guards, huh? Interesting.

Yabbut its a 2013, flat grey (not red) and not an ES. If (and that’s a big if) this deal was for real, it means mine is worth nearly nothing. I shouldn’t care because I have no intention of selling mine, but nobody likes to think their pride and joy is worthless (or even worth less).

Yabbut its a 2013, flat grey (not red) and not an ES. If (and that’s a big if) this deal was for real, it means mine is worth nearly nothing. I shouldn’t care because I have no intention of selling mine, but nobody likes to think their pride and joy is worthless (or even worth less).
I hear you.

I actually suspect it is real. I also suspect it is priced low because whoever buys it will have an issue titling it in CA.

The owner (not sure if he lurks here, but anyway) said he has reservations about selling it. He also said he would like to sell if before titling it here in CA, but would title it here if need be to induce the sale. He says he has been "told" it is easy to title here.

As you may know, CA has pretty stringent emissions laws. All bikes sold in CA are "CA compliant" and have stickers indicating so. Bikes sold out of state are not affixed with such labels (virtually without exception, in my experience).

There is an exception to the emissions regs for importing bikes over 7500 miles. And it's really easy to do. You just roll up to the DMV and get them to do a VIN and mileage verification. I've done it a few times and it is painless. You then just pay the $15 title fee and the yearly reg fee.

I, like the seller, have "heard" it can be done with bikes under 7500 miles, but it involves a trip to the CHP station for a verification of emissions components, and you still (I believe) need to get the decal somewhere saying it is CA compliant. The local Ducati/Aprilia dealer told me this can be done relatively easily. I happen to know, though, that getting an appointment with CHP here locally takes at least 6 weeks or so. I know this because I thought you had to take bikes over 7500 miles to CHP, and later learned it could be done at DMV. Also, this '14 appears to have a straight pipe, slip ons, and no cat; all of which would likely be problematic for CHP.

Upshot is I think this is just a hassle for the seller, and would be for a buyer unless he planned to put 5k miles on the bike in very short order, OR lived out of state and took it there.

But, yeah. The depreciation is pretty steep on our bikes in any case. Especially when the bike was bought without a sizable discount of MSRP. I was offered $7k for my '15 A with 20k miles on trade a few weeks ago. I bought the bike steeply discounted in spring of 2016 at $12,900 OTD including tax and 5 years YES (which was a screaming deal of a type I have not seen lately). I'd like more for it, but it's not a horrible loss for what I've gotten out of it, especially at trade-in value. But I have a lot of value left to get out it yet.
smile.png

As we know, trade numbers are generally imaginary, but this was basically a hard figure discussed separate from the discounted cash price on the bike I was looking at. Pretty low. But indicates that this '14 ES is under priced. I expect it is the title issue and desire for a quick sale that has caused it to be priced this way.

I added a disclosure to my OP. I don't want someone in CA buying this due to my pointing them to the ad, and then being unable to title it here.
smile.png

It has sold. Bummer. I missed it.
Wow. That was fast. 3 days; 1 Saturday. When you want a bike to move fast a low price makes all the difference! Hopefully the buyer has no issues titling it.

It would have been perfect for you! A short drive from Scottsdale and no CARB hangups!

...there'll be another.