New ES Owner, Initial Impression Report

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
T-mode......I have not been in S mode much and will see if that makes a difference at the low end.

What happened to the OP? He made that one post and then just...disappeared. One of you must have made him mad. It wasn't me!
I had an ST1300 fall in behind me the other day and follow me home. The owner was impressed with my cutting edge technology but had no desire to "upgrade". I did not try to talk him into it either, I have great respect for the big Honda. I am happier with my Yamaha.
"The owner was impressed with my cutting edge technology"?? You or the bike??

Incidentally, I once rented an ST1300 from Eagle Rider to tour the Smoky Mountains. Other than the heat coming off those heads, it seemed to be a decent ride. With the bags off it is an ugly duckling!!

T-mode......I have not been in S mode much and will see if that makes a difference at the low end.
As we suspected. Huge perceived difference in low rpm power. Just be aware that the fjr is sportier than the ST and S-mode unleashes the low end beast of that in-line four.

Last edited by a moderator:
For those of you who have not had the pleasure of riding an ST1300, the engine has the most bizarre power delivery and sound of any internal combustion engine I have ever operated. It feels more like an electric motor. The power is always there, no matter the RPM, no matter the gear. Not much character, but very useful. I miss that motor...

But, I like my FJR better. Except for the mirrors. I miss the ST mirrors.

As we suspected. Huge difference in low rpm power. Just be aware that the fjr is sportier than the ST and S-mode unleashes the low end beat of that in-line for.
Not really.
All T-mode does is to slow the throttle response rate. Hold any steady throttle setting, the torque/power is the same in either mode.

It's as you open the throttle that there appears to be a difference as the engine throttle plates catch up with the twist-grip, quickly in S-mode, slowly in T.

Yeah, I was going to say this ^^^

The power is identical in T and S modes. The only thing that changes is how many degrees you need to turn the twist grip to obtain that power. All of the power is still available if you twist the wrist far enough.

The power does come on more suddenly when you open the throttle just a little, so I can see where some folks might feel that this equates to more power, but it really isn't. And without the sudden-ness of S mode, the T mode allows more precise control of the power delivery for smoother riding.

edit - On rereading mcatrophy's post, he seems to indicate that the YCCT delays the throttle opening in time, not that it varies the amount of throttle opening per degree of grip twist. I'm not sure which is true now. The feature description on the FSM doesn't really say. I'll need to do a bit more reading up.

Fred, I am thinking that you are more correct on this one. If the plates were delayed then you could make an abrupt move with the throttle, then hold it steady and acceleration would continue gently. That is not how I perceive it. Of course, I could be wrong. I am used to it by now.

I've tried in T-mode doing a rapid movement to a wide tube position. The bike responds by accelerating slowly at first, but keeps accelerating harder with no more throttle opening. I don't know whether there is any difference between partial throttle tube rotation and final power, but we do know that full throttle tube rotation will finally deliver all the engine can.

I stand by my "delayed response" statement, but not necessarily that part throttle will reach the same power in both modes.

[edit]Found this on Yamaha's web site:

D-mode: a choice between two types of engine responsiveness. There is a "T" setting that is very smooth, for example for tricky road conditions, and an "S" setting for a more sporty and powerful pick-up. It's easy to switch between the modes by a button on the right handlebar.

Whatever the setting, it only influences the throttle response itself; the maximum engine performance is not affected and always full power".
My italics.[/edit]

Yeah, I was going to say this ^^^
The power is identical in T and S modes. The only thing that changes is how many degrees you need to turn the twist grip to obtain that power. All of the power is still available if you twist the wrist far enough.

The power does come on more suddenly when you open the throttle just a little, so I can see where some folks might feel that this equates to more power, but it really isn't. And without the sudden-ness of S mode, the T mode allows more precise control of the power delivery for smoother riding.

edit - On rereading mcatrophy's post, he seems to indicate that the YCCT delays the throttle opening in time, not that it varies the amount of throttle opening per degree of grip twist. I'm not sure which is true now. The feature description on the FSM doesn't really say. I'll need to do a bit more reading up.
Yeah, I corrected my post to include the word perceived.

OK, this is interesting. I did a bunch of searching this afternoon and technical details of the operation of the YCC-T are hard to come by. I did find this one video that shows the R1's YCC-I and YCC-T graphically. Assuming that the YCC-T in the FJR is the same general technology, it is a lot more involved that either of us guessed.

It appears (toward the end of the video) that the throttle correction map that is applied by the YCC-T is 3 dimensional, including not only the servo master input (throttle grip position sender) and feedback of the throttle plate position from the TPS, but also what the current rpm is. To smooth out all the peaks and dips in the (known) power delivery curve, the throttle plates must vary how open they are (opening more or less) depending on what rpm the engine is at.

I would guess that the "Sport" mode has less "smoothing function" being applied than what the touring mode does? Or that it is applied with more "negative" opening adjustments than the sport's more positive ones. Cool beans!

You learn something new every day...
wink.png

I have never understood staying in tour mode.

IMO, if you wanted a 140 hp bike, why throttle it to 100hp?

I have never understood staying in tour mode.IMO, if you wanted a 140 hp bike, why throttle it to 100hp?
Then you don't understand this bike. Full power is still available in 'T' mode, it's just a slower responding to the throttle movement.

I understand the bike just fine, I've had four of them since 2004. Just my opinion, slow throttle response is not what I ride this bike to experience.

And this, my friends, is why they can run horse races. If we all bet on the same horse, well it just wouldn't work out the same. ;)

FWIW - I leave it in T almost all of the time. I prefer the precise throttle input and smoothness of power delivery, even when running fast through the corners. You can always just turn your wrist further and get the same amount of power

YMMV

I understand the bike just fine, I've had four of them since 2004. Just my opinion, slow throttle response is not what I ride this bike to experience.
I believe he was referring to your comment about having only 100hp instead of the full amount. All the power is there, it just requires more twisting of the wrist to get the revs up initially.

And this, my friends, is why they can run horse races. If we all bet on the same horse, well it just wouldn't work out the same.
wink.png

FWIW - I leave it in T almost all of the time. I prefer the precise throttle input and smoothness of power delivery, even when running fast through the corners. You can always just turn your wrist further and get the same amount of power

YMMV
Got it! I'm just glad they put the switch in.
rolleyes.gif

I like this as a visual depiction of the difference between 'Sport' and 'Touring'. Well, 'Normal' and 'Sport' in the case, and it's a car, but you get the gist.

RJtA6C9.png

I rode around for 17K miles before I even realized there was a Touring mode. I used it for a little while in the twisties while I was trying to improve my cornering speeds, but once I found myself blasting out at full throttle I switched it back to Sport permanently.

I generally cruise around in Tour mode when I'm slabbing it, riding in the rain, etc., but I switch to Sport in the twisties, town, and especially when I need to vaporize a parade of plodding Harley dudes or a train of Halliburton trucks clogging the two-lane. Did I ever mention that I love this bike?

Lol...I especially love vaporizing Harley trains (very prevalent here in the HD holy land of Sturgis, Devil's Tower, and the Black Hills). Fergawdssake, I can only take 55 in a 65 for so long, and I know that I sometimes startle them when I'm in strafe mode. It's all good.