• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to FJRForum and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member or just click here to donate.

Low mileage trade-in? A record perhaps !

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GMAK

Reaction score
Looks nice.

I have heard of very bad things re rubber, tank lining, electrical, etc on bikes of that vintage with those kinds of miles. I'd probably be more comfortable with a 50k 2005 that appeared to be well-maintained, but maybe that's just me. :)

Price is right, tho, if all else checks out!

Decent looking bike for a great price ($3791 - negotiable?). Non-ABS model - not necessarily a problem. (The rear brake ABS has been an issue with some of the Gen I, especially if unused.)

Two-Brothers exhaust, frame sliders, FZ1 mirrors, throttle lock, Powerlet (or similar) outlet, bar risers and new(ish) tires. No major blemishes are apparent although it looks like the rear "fender" was cropped. (Could be a wet ride for the pillion in a rainstorm.)

I would certainly have a good look in the tank for corrosion and would probably want to lift the tank for a good look underneath. In addition to examining connectors for corrosion (and neglect), looking in areas that are difficult to clean tells a lot about how much care the bike was given. Personally, I wouldn't be worried too much about rubber bits as long as the electrical looked OK. I would look at the color of the hydraulic fluid.

Worst case scenario is that you might have to do stuff like fork seals a little earlier than usual (in terms of mileage). I would bet there aren't serious age-related issues.

No ABS, no sale, in my opinion. Look how wide those luggage cases are on the Gen.1 bikes, glad the Gen. 2's were narrowed a bit, though the wife says she misses the wider Gen. 1 passenger seat.

No ABS, no sale, in my opinion. Look how wide those luggage cases are on the Gen.1 bikes, glad the Gen. 2's were narrowed a bit, though the wife says she misses the wider Gen. 1 passenger seat.
Gen I and Gen II (and Gen III) luggage cases are identical.

Last edited by a moderator:

ABS on Gen I is not all that great imho. In fact it can be a hindrance. One of these days I am going to disconnect mine.

Gen I and Gen II (and Gen III) luggage cases are identical.
Saddlebags are identical, but mounting locations are not. Gen II went to a *slightly* narrower mounting on the frame.

I was using my saddlebags from my '04 on my '15 and didn't notice a difference in mounting.

101stpathfinder posted: <snip> ... I cant wait to move on to cruise though.
The cruise is a must-have for me. Sure, it's great when winding along the interstate for 8 hours like you do, Pathfinder. But it also comes in handy when you need to use your right hand for something.

Last edited by a moderator:
I got my 2006 in 2017 years back.for.3800

It had 5400 miles. The dealer put a new tire when I got it as in VA,bikes need to pass inspection to sell by dealer. Anyway it needed a new rear as in the first rain ride it for gressey. The top box had a g2 and new filter and a manual.

I would not hesitate from a old.bike.

weirdsmiley.gif
?