lowering 2014 fjr

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

richardjames

Reaction score
If I lower  my 2014 fjr by changing the rear links and put the front forks above the triple clamp . Do I also make the center stand harder to use ? As I age I'm getting shorter and weaker but I do not want to stop riding it.

Talked about many times on the forum over the 15 years we've been here. Try +center +stand +shorter and similar terms to find them.

If I lower  my 2014 fjr by changing the rear links and put the front forks above the triple clamp . Do I also make the center stand harder to use ? As I age I'm getting shorter and weaker but I do not want to stop riding it.
Yes, both the side and center stands will need to be modified to work as they do now. How much depends on how much you lower it.

at 72 it might be better to change bikes , thanks
Richard,

I lowered my FJR, and had an independent bike shop cut and re-weld the sidestand at the foot, for cheap.  They even painted it for me.  Some riders carefully grind away the sidestand stop to let it swing farther forward a little bit, but don't overdo the grinder, because there is no easy way back if you go too far.  I just ignored the centerstand, for a month or three.

The centerstand bolts go in the hard way from the factory, so the bike shop just cut the bolt heads off to remove the centerstand.  That was easier than removing the exhaust system, to remove the bolts.  Garauld cut down and re-welded the centerstand for me, maybe 1.5 inches shorter.  He does great work; Google for Garauld Catalog.  Send him an email, for a good price: GTWorksLLC  on  Gmail.  New bolts, installed the easy way by the bike shop, and I was good to go.  With the stock centerstand on a lowered bike, I had to roll the wheels up on a piece of 2x4, both front and back, to get it on the centerstand.  With the shorter sidestand and centerstand, it all goes as it should, now.  I'm about your age.  Both changes together were better (for me) than changing bikes.  PM me if you wish.

Richard,

I lowered my FJR, and had an independent bike shop cut and re-weld the sidestand at the foot, for cheap.  They even painted it for me.  Some riders carefully grind away the sidestand stop to let it swing farther forward a little bit, but don't overdo the grinder, because there is no easy way back if you go too far.  I just ignored the centerstand, for a month or three.

The centerstand bolts go in the hard way from the factory, so the bike shop just cut the bolt heads off to remove the centerstand.  That was easier than removing the exhaust system, to remove the bolts.  Garauld cut down and re-welded the centerstand for me, maybe 1.5 inches shorter.  He does great work; Google for Garauld Catalog.  Send him an email, for a good price: GTWorksLLC  on  Gmail.  New bolts, installed the easy way by the bike shop, and I was good to go.  With the stock centerstand on a lowered bike, I had to roll the wheels up on a piece of 2x4, both front and back, to get it on the centerstand.  With the shorter sidestand and centerstand, it all goes as it should, now.  I'm about your age.  Both changes together were better (for me) than changing bikes.  PM me if you wish.
thanks for your input! this is my third fjr and I love them. when you did this did the bike become easy to back up and move in the garage, gas station ,low speed ? thanks

Before lowering the bike there are a couple of things you can do. Firstly narrow the seat by shaving the foam on the seat sides. Secondly you can shave at least an inch off the top foam without sacrificing comfort. I have a 29" inside leg and I can get the balls of both feet on the floor, with a pillion I can flat foot with these modifications.

Before lowering the bike there are a couple of things you can do. Firstly narrow the seat by shaving the foam on the seat sides. Secondly you can shave at least an inch off the top foam without sacrificing comfort. I have a 29" inside leg and I can get the balls of both feet on the floor, with a pillion I can flat foot with these modifications.
In my case in addition to the links and fork adjustment went with a Corbin seat which will also get you lower. Also did the grind on the side stand worked fine but never got around to the center stand. Been using the wood trick though I thought I read somewhere that the 13 and up center stand was shorter than the gen 2 which I have. Anyone have any insight into that?? 🤔

thanks for your input! this is my third fjr and I love them. when you did this did the bike become easy to back up and move in the garage, gas station ,low speed ? thanks
Richard,

Yes, as a matter of fact.  Russel and Laam (and others) can tailor your "new" seat to your needs.  Corbin seats are built low, but some riders say they are too firm.  Mine is good; if it fits, it fits.

Narrowing the seat foam is a good start.  If you remove staples and pull back the seat covering material, you can trim the foam with an electric turkey-carving knife and/or a coarse grinder/sanding wheel.  Wear a dust-mask and keep the shop-vac handy.  Add foam if needed with 3M spray adhesive and carpet underlayment foam.  You will need a heavy power-stapler with short staples to re-install the upholstery covering, but this is all workable stuff.

I cheat like crazy, but I can flat-foot on my FJR.  The seat is lowered, the plastic seat underframe is simply removed, and I even removed the rubber buttons under the seat.  A big help for me was getting "lightweight tactical combat boots" with side zippers (no lace-up time wasted, here).  The higher heel and thick, aggressive tread (waffle-stompers) bring the Earth closer to you very nicely, and you'll be walking taller, which is fine by me.  Just be a bit careful on stairs and curbs at first (use the handrails), until you get the hang of these new boots.  Steel shanks will make them very comfortable on the footpegs, like having footplates instead of footpegs.  I bought mine for cheap on a close-out sale, so I am recommending a type, not a brand, of these boots.

Please disregard Bounce's joking input about bone lengthening.  Such extreme medical procedures are not suitable for men of our age.  That process is morally repugnant to me from the start; that rotten stuff came straight out of the Nazi death-camps.

I think you will like the "lightweight tactical combat boots" as an easy solution.

Been using the wood trick though I thought I read somewhere that the 13 and up center stand was shorter than the gen 2 which I have. Anyone have any insight into that?? 🤔
It's not shorter, but they've changed the design so that it is significantly easier to get the bike on it. Would still be somewhere between extremely difficult and impossible to use with lowered suspension.