Luggage rack on top of Saddle Bags

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SPORT

Reaction score
Did the Google search and found this. however, I've seen and read that some of you have created an actual luggage rack that mounts on top of the saddle bags. Anybody willing and able to post up pics and instructions or links to how it was created?

Thanks

Sport

I've been on the forum a few years now, I've never seen anyone with luggage racks on the side cases. But, I don't see every thread either. On first instinct, I'd probably recommend against it. The mounting tabs for the side cases are only ABS plastic. I've seen some pretty heavily loaded side cases, I couldn't imagine adding additional weight on top of that.

Is a top case out of the picture?

Already have a Givi 46 top case.

Planning a Nova Scotia in July and the wife may join me. As such the rear seat is no longer available for carrying the tent, sleeping bags and the like.

I have seen an FJR with a home made rack mounted on the saddle bags. He and his wife travel nationally on it and haven't had any problems...that I know of. Just wondering if anyone has capitalized on the idea yet. Sounds like a job for the Sportmiester.

A trailer is your friend, leaves the bike empty for your helmets.
Just a thought

Eeeghad! Now your sounding like my father with his GL1800 and matching queen size tent trailer.

Sorry, not quite that old...yet ;)

Just did a quick search, If memory serves me correctly, Scarbutt is the one who created his own saddle bag top luggage rack.

I may be looking to create my own soon.???

Last edited by a moderator:
Man, what are you guys packing? I had less stuff when SWMBO and I toured with camping gear (we didn't cook out)

Don't mean to sound holier-than-thou; but now that I travel alone I can get all my clothes in one bag, tools plus rain gear in the other and electric vest and computer in tank bag. If I'm going to spend a week or so somewhere, I UPS stuff ahead, although with today's relaxed dress standards, I haven't done that for years. Ian, Iowa

One solution could be an XL bag across the rear rack, all of my camping gear fits in a large duffel and thats including my three man tent. I don't pack light either. I presently use a wolfman pvc exped rear bag on my FJR and my DR650. Its not 100% water proof but, it's pretty dry once you seal the seams. My back country tent won't fit in the hard bags so, I have to have a soft bag of some kind anyway.

I didn't mount a rack. I just bungied a dry bag to one saddle bag and a cooler to the other. Hope this helps. Also stapped another tank bag to the topcase

DSCF1310-1-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been on the forum a few years now, I've never seen anyone with luggage racks on the side cases. But, I don't see every thread either. On first instinct, I'd probably recommend against it. The mounting tabs for the side cases are only ABS plastic. I've seen some pretty heavily loaded side cases, I couldn't imagine adding additional weight on top of that.
Is a top case out of the picture?
Just so I stay on topic...Has anyone seen an after market bag for or on an FJR that is larger than OEM. Std bags are a pain IMHO.

Off topic to your Personal Mantra....The Hokie Pokie really IS what it's ALL about!

R

Already have a Givi 46 top case.
Planning a Nova Scotia in July and the wife may join me. As such the rear seat is no longer available for carrying the tent, sleeping bags and the like.

I have seen an FJR with a home made rack mounted on the saddle bags. He and his wife travel nationally on it and haven't had any problems...that I know of. Just wondering if anyone has capitalized on the idea yet. Sounds like a job for the Sportmiester.
I have the rack on the v46, I've had a small tent and therma-rest on there without problem, mind you there were no high speed runs on that trip.

Did the Google search and found this. however, I've seen and read that some of you have created an actual luggage rack that mounts on top of the saddle bags. Anybody willing and able to post up pics and instructions or links to how it was created?
Thanks

Sport
I am adding a rack to my trunk. But I am adding some footman's loops to the side bags for strapping. See here "Footman's Loop".

GG

Not to lecture, but like the owners manual says stay within the weight limits of the bike, the tail section and the sidebags, especially if two up. Packing up the wrong way can adversely affect the areodynamics of the bike. I've experienced some scary moments especially with some nasty side winds. Just a suggestion. Be safe, PM. <>< ;)