Luggage rack with back rest

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stevem

Reaction score
I had ordered a luggage rack with a detachable backrest from garauld and it came today. Much nicer than I expected. Looks good on the bike, the paint matches well, and it was lighter than I expected. Just wanted to pass this along for those who were on the fence or wanted a backrest but didn't know where to go. He does quality work.

Also, is the backrest detachable? Is it adjustable?

What size platform does it have? Can you keep the stock handholds?

And I know that someone had one made that moved it back 2" for more pillion room. How is yours made?

Enough questions? I'm really interested.

Thanks!

Sorry guys I don't even have a working digital camera and the moment but there are some pictures over in the vendors forum which is where I first saw the pictures of his work.

Luke,

The backrest is detachable and can be mounted on the front or back of the mounting plate which would probably give you about half an inch of adjustment. The rack area is 12 by 18 and I bought the clamp on style because I wanted to keep my hand holds and not have the mounting holes be visible.

I've got a rack ordered from "Garauld" he's a good guy and his racks look good too! I asked him to customize my rack by adding extra bars to it and he said No Problem. I'll let you all know how it turns out once I get it.

Hey Gerauld: Does this model simply slip on and get fastened with one screw?

PC290001a.jpg

-BD

Garauld, I checked out all the links and like what I see.

I'm waiting for the 2006 model so I will need the new yet-to-be rack version.

Please PM me when you have the new design ready. Thanks.

I've had one of Gerauld's combo backrest / rack pieces for over a year now. One of the best farkles I've added. Beautifully made, very functional and easy on / off. Everybody who sees this thing wants one. Mine was made to accept a Corbin backrest. you won't believe how much soft luggage I can pack on and around the rack and backrest. I much prefer this arrangement over that top case ( Yamaha ) that I used to use.

Does this model simply slip on and get fastened with one screw?
Yup, that's all - those little clippy things slip under the cross bar of the stock tailrack. I include a pair of rubber strips to protect the stock rack as well as a new longer SST screw. Send me a PM with your address and I can get a delivered cost for you... :rolleyes:

Don't want to hijack, but hey garauld, will you be making a rack for the '06? I like the idea of a rack with a backrest better than a top box. I can get more odd shaped items on a rack (tent, sleeping bags, ammo, loot, etc. ).

Anyway, let me know...I would be very interested.

Hi, I have an '05. I would like to know how much the clamp-on rack is that will also accomodate a Corbin backrest. I also use a Corbin Dual Sport saddle. One thing I've noticed is that when removing the one-piece saddle, the back portion of the seat tends to rub slightly against the front portion of the stock rack due to it's tight fit.

Does your clamp-on rack provide enough clearance to accomodate the Corbin seat? Will the Corbin backrest inserted into your rack allow enough forward/backward adjustment of the pad as well? Thanks.