Lurches forward, then down!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jtc

Reaction score
Anyone seen this? I've always started my bikes by standing next to it, putting it in neutral and pushing the start button. Then I load it up. This morning in the garage did the same and she lurched forward, stalled and down she went. Apparently not quite in neutral, huh? Snapped the left mirror off but frame slider saved the rest. Wife had to help lift.

Same thing happened less than a year ago at work but it didn't make it to the ground. Never had a bike do this to me (always Honda 'till now). FJR-kinda thingy? I think I will be changing my start-up procedures, and will be riding a day or so with one mirror.

thanks!

I learned early on to NEVER start a motorcycle without being seated on it and ready for anything to happen.

Had a similar experience when I was first learning to ride but it never started completely.

Your sidestand relay should have prevented it from starting if it was in gear. Might want to get the checked out.

Same here. I don't start it unless I'm on it, or if I'm working on it (TBS, etc.) it's on the centerstand.

As far as the actual problem, I don't know why it would have lurched if the sidestand switch is working,m unless it's got a false indication from the neutral switch. If the neutral switch is grounded but the bike's not actually IN neutral, the starter will engage.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, you had this lurching thing happen once before & kept on using the same technique???

My previous bike was a suzuki, and they require that the clutch also be pulled in (even if it's in neutral) to start...I'm still in the habit of doing that, and I don't think it's a bad habit to have.

To chime in with the others, I also only start it up when I'm on it (and slowly release the clutch after I start it, just in case)

I keep it on the centerstand and start it there-on the sidestand I always mount up before starting...also mount before rolling off the centerstand even if I'm just moving it around the shop. If it starts to lean away from you when taking it down that's all she wrote..

I have an AE, so no clutch to pull in, but if I'm going to start it without climbing aboard first, I make sure the big green light is on the dash, then grab a handful of front brake before thumbing the starter.

To answer JTC's question specifically the FJR should not start when in gear with the side stand down. Something is not getting a good signal. I have never had this trouble on non-AE FJR's in the past.

I do the same as INEWLF when starting since I almost always have it on the center stand.

I was going to recommend an AE since it won't even try to start when in gear with the kickstand down and the whole benefit of no clutch lever in this situation.

Brian

Don't have to tell me three times, or eight times. I now sit on the bike when I start it. Probably done that 10 times in almost 20 years. Don't know why. But at $143 a mirror at the local dealer, I can learn a new lesson. Be ready for anything, especially with this big heavy son of a ....

Yes the green light was on. And it will not start if the green light is off and the kickstand will kill it if its in gear. All seems to work.

Regular use of the centerstand is no good - too hard.

Don't have to tell me three times, or eight times. I now sit on the bike when I start it. Probably done that 10 times in almost 20 years. Don't know why. But at $143 a mirror at the local dealer, I can learn a new lesson. Be ready for anything, especially with this big heavy son of a ....
Yes the green light was on. And it will not start if the green light is off and the kickstand will kill it if its in gear. All seems to work.

WOW if you think this centerstand is HARD...try a 2006 Concours...now that is hard. My FJR goes up effortlessly. Not that this contributes to your thread at all.

Willie

Just had the same experience with lurching off the side stand with my brand new '12 FJR 2 weeks ago. I rarely start mine without being on the bike, just in case........ But this time, I did when I saw the big green neutral light glowing on this morning, and I was still standing by it's side fastening my helmet strap. Next thing I know, she's lurched forward, off the side stand, and plopped down at, and on, my feet. Only slight cosmetic damage, no mirror breakage, and it looks like the left engine case took the brunt of it. Of course, after keeping it for a week, speaking with Yamaha several times, and still not being able to duplicate the problem, my dealer just said that they can't find anything amiss with it, and for me to "Suzuki it", and pull in the clutch when I start it. That's not really a problem as I live with a Suzuki also, and certainly will be careful, and at least ready to grab a handful of brake everytime I start it from now on. I am hoping that Yamaha will work with me though, on getting the scuff marks and engine case scratches fixed. The dealer says they don't have the tools for body repair, so I'll get my husband or son to see what they can do, but I will still have to buy the paint. Does anybody make case guards for the FJR? BTW, I'm not a newbie, with 40 years of bikes, both dirt and street, and this is my 2nd FJR, so I hope that will carry some weight with Yamaha. That, and that I've never had a problem with any of the other Yamahas I've bought from this dealer, and am on good relations with them. Any new updates or info from anyone, since I see that I am not the only one that has had this problem?

Laura

Man, I hear you. I, too, thought the center stand was IMPOSSIBLE to use. I always figured, how do these little guys (and girls) get the bike on those things? Then I thought to youtube center stand use. Viola! Several good videos that show proper technique. I've been doing it wrong from day one.

There is a secret key that makes it totally simple: you MUST level the bike so both feet of the center stand are touching the ground before you lift it up. Really. It was this simple. Who knew? Now, it's a piece of cake, with hardly any lifting. Just putting my weight on the center stand step is enough to lift the bike onto the stand. If you want, grab the frame with your right hand and give it a bit of help, totally effortless. Now, I pretty much use the center stand exclusively.

LauraM said:
Just had the same experience with lurching off the side stand with my brand new '12 FJR 2 weeks ago. I rarely start mine without being on the bike, just in case........ But this time, I did when I saw the big green neutral light glowing on this morning, and I was still standing by it's side fastening my helmet strap. Next thing I know, she's lurched forward, off the side stand, and plopped down at, and on, my feet. Only slight cosmetic damage, no mirror breakage, and it looks like the left engine case took the brunt of it. Of course, after keeping it for a week, speaking with Yamaha several times, and still not being able to duplicate the problem, my dealer just said that they can't find anything amiss with it, and for me to "Suzuki it", and pull in the clutch when I start it. That's not really a problem as I live with a Suzuki also, and certainly will be careful, and at least ready to grab a handful of brake everytime I start it from now on. I am hoping that Yamaha will work with me though, on getting the scuff marks and engine case scratches fixed. The dealer says they don't have the tools for body repair, so I'll get my husband or son to see what they can do, but I will still have to buy the paint. Does anybody make case guards for the FJR? BTW, I'm not a newbie, with 40 years of bikes, both dirt and street, and this is my 2nd FJR, so I hope that will carry some weight with Yamaha. That, and that I've never had a problem with any of the other Yamahas I've bought from this dealer, and am on good relations with them. Any new updates or info from anyone, since I see that I am not the only one that has had this problem?

Laura
I have never had this problem but obviously others including you have! In my opinion this is a safety issue and needs to be handled by Yamaha as such. If it were me I would also report it to your regulatory authority. If anyone else has this problem - get writing.

Don

I bet you're using the wrong octane.

j/k

Sticking clutch plates perhaps?

I have a left mirror if you want it just a hint of rash on the outside (indistnguishable once you get a few bugs on it). It's off a 2006 so the color probably won't match, unless you want to paint it or salvage the glass.

If you're replacing the mirror, the FZ-1 replacements for $70 are what the bike should have come with in the first place.

On my 0 Mile FJR '10 I had this happen which lead to a clutch soak/replacement.

I was sitting on it on my lift, it was in neutral, green light showing. I ALWAYS pull the clutch in on a start. I let the clutch out to get off the bike and it lurched and hit the wheel chock and died. Scared the hell out of me.

Has never happened since the clutch soak/replacement but it did do it a time or two before I got it done.

I know it happens and have been there and wore that t-shirt.

1. Stiction between the clutch plates and the cold oil can cause a little bit of an issue until it warms up.

2. Center stand use is easy if you push with your leg instead of lifting with your arm. Check out the mentioned videos.

3. Octane shmoctane. If you have enough cash for blowing on high test on a motor that isn't knocking on 87, then you can adopt me.

2+1 means that I park mine on the center stand over night. Hop on it to start it. Stand on the pegs and shift my weight to move the bike forward and off the center stand.

2 also means that the first time I put the FJR on the center stand I actually "threw" it backward about a foot (it hopped up on the center stand and slid backward). It popped up so easy compared to the 3 different Wings I'd owned before it that I was a little more "assertive" than required.

3 means I'm adorable and, while easy, ain't cheap.

3. Octane shmoctane. If you have enough cash for blowing on high test on a motor that isn't knocking on 87, then you can adopt me.

3 means I'm adorable and, while easy, ain't cheap.
Does having a keg of homebrewed bourbon barrel porter @ 12% count as high octane?

Oh wait. Wrong gender. Nevermind.

Aasland,

I have wondered about the clutch plates sticking just enough to transfer a little torque through them, and forward she goes. I'll pick it up from the dealer today, and live with it for now, with a close eye on the clutch action, and any other symptoms that she might exhibit. I too can use the center stand when needed, with just a little more effort than that required by my VFR750. It seems to me that the clutch may be the weak point here, as the tranny probably was in neutral, bypassing both the neutral switch and light, and the sidestand interlock switch. Or maybe the sending switch from the transmission to both. Anyway, will keep a close eye on it, front brake applied, clutch in and gently released, ala Suzuki style for now. Oh, and use 87 octane too, don't forget that!

thanks for your offer, but the mirror didn't actually break and nicely folded up with only a few scuffs on the outer edge, and this will be the easiest damage to repair. I'll see how Yamaha responds to my request with assistance with my costs to repair the other damage, and then pursue the original problem further if needed. If there does seem to be a pattern of FJR's doing this, then I'm willing to take it further with Yamaha to determine the underlying cause and fix it.

Laura