Made a mistake, now sanity prevails

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queensland Ken

Reaction score
Looks like I have ordered the first Aussie 2014 out of the container.

Short story is that on the last day of 2013, I bought a 2013 Trophy SE

I wanted more of a touring bike with some creature comforts, esp the electronic suspension. (mainly for my post-op gut operations)

It really is a good touring machine, great fuelling, fantastic MPG good slushy suspension for our great roads over here.

But as with some 1st generation of bikes, the list of little niggling problems are raising their head.

Started off that Triumph Australia said my bike had the centre stand recall done, to stop the bike overextending the stand, it hadn't.

My bike wasn't idling properly and stalling out when coming to a stop, the local dealer could only book me in in a few weeks time.

I was soo pissed off, I pulled the plastics off the bike, only to find the throttle bodies had blown off the manifold.

It was the prelude to the ECU recall, electrical interference on the ECM caused the engine to backfire and blow off the throttle bodies.

And the dealer sold me the bike running like that, I didn't know any better, having never ridden a big 3 cylinder.

Most of my travelling is all highway Kms.

To top it off there is a service bulletin to do with the upper valve train. If the owner think the motor is noisy, which mine is, take it to a dealer and let them decide if the top end needs replacing. The local dealership has just lost it's Triumph dealership status and Triumph Australia hasn't returned my calls

Now the forks are leaking.

Just what you expect for a new bike, NOT !!!

Now there's reports of the gear lever pivot bolt breaking where the thread enters the frame.

The lever pivots on a shank of a bolt, nothing else, the entire weight of your foot is taken by the bolts thread as it enters the frame. You have to remove the part of the support for the sub-frame to access it the pivot, then try to easy out the thread.

The real scary thing is that the rear brake pedal has the same arrangement.

And don't talk to me about maintaining the bike, it takes about 4 hours just to remove the plastics to get to the air filter & plugs.

Don't even want to contemplate doing a valve check or drive splines.

So I finally contacted Yamahaha Australia and it was confirmed that Yamaha isn't importing the ES into Australia.

I found a dealer in NSW that sells Triumphs and Yamahahahah's and have done a deal on a 2014.

The first shipment of 2014's went to selected dealers a few weeks ago and my bike is the first out of the next container.

I'm happy with the deal and to get rid of the Trophy.

I will be de-farkleing my 07 as well, installing the accessories that will fit the Gen 3 and then selling my old girl.

Sanity prevails

While I am sorry that your Triumph experience was not "triumphant", I do hope that your Yamaha experience will be the positive one we are all accustomed to.

BIG TRIUMPH QUESTION FOR THE FORUM:

Is this typical of Triumphs? I know nothing of the reliability of their newer machines. I've got several friends considering Triumphs. Ya gotta admit, the specs and the pics are impressibe: the question is, HOW'S THE RELIABILITY? Time to weigh in here, fellas.

Gary

darksider #44

Last edited by a moderator:
I've got a friend with a 98 sprint ST 900-something. He has ~50k on it, and it runs great. He bought from a local racer who is also mechanically inclined. While we don't know the history of repairs prior to 30k, since then (in addition to maintenance stuff like chains and bulbs and valves) we have replaced the rear shock. That's all. Oh and he broke a chain too, but that just ended up on the ground, not cracking his crankcase.

This is the 2nd new Trophy I've heard of having these problems - that owner also got rid of his (got a BMW). There is a Tiger 800 in my garage and it has had only 1 issue which was taken care of with no problem from the dealer or Triumph. As a brand, their reputation was near flawless until this new Trophy came out.

Sorry about your issues...new bike buying is supposed to be a fun experience. Sorry your Triumph wasn't.

Here hoping that your FJR ES is all that you want it to be.

Happy riding!
punk.gif

I know a few guys with a couple different model Triumphs. I don't think this is a brand problem, but a model problem. It does bother me a bit that the company won't return his calls though.

I had a 2009 Street Triple which I ended up trading for my FJR. The Triumph had lots of problems such as:

Defective Regulator Rectifier

Blown Stator

Defective Water Pump

Lost confidence and much happier with the FJR now

My understanding is that British bikes (and at least their older cars) are known for having shitty electrical systems. I replaced the regulator/rectifier on my friend's '04 Triumph Daytona 650 this past fall with a MOSFET one out of an FJR (and several other Jap bikes), as well as the stator which was shorted to ground on all three phases. Took a little rewiring, but apparently this is a common problem amongst Triumphs as there are a few threads about this project floating around the internet.

My understanding is that British bikes (and at least their older cars) are known for having shitty electrical systems....
Lucas electrics. Oh god, the horror!

I had an exciting experience with a British Ford, when the wiring under the dash chose to spontaneously combust.

My mid-70s Norton Commando 850 leaked oil like a Harley, but the electrical system was so simple that as long as I cleaned the two sets of points twice a month I had no problems.

Too bad you had all these problems with the Trophy Ken. Unfortunately, not the first time these problems have surfaced on the Trophy and Explorer.

Good luck with the new ES!

--G

My understanding is that British bikes (and at least their older cars) are known for having shitty electrical systems....
Lucas electrics. Oh god, the horror!

I had an exciting experience with a British Ford, when the wiring under the dash chose to spontaneously combust.
This was passed around where I work years ago:

Smokekit2.jpg

I'm not bagging Triumph but I think they could have done their homework on the Trophy a bit better.

If your bored have a look on the Trophy Forum, can make for interesting reading.

I was joking on the Aussie forum that I couldn't find the oil leak part numbers on the microfiche, shouldn't joke I suppose.

To their credit it appears that they are addressing the Trophy's problems.

Then when I find a good local dealer that sell Triumph's, they loose Triumph, it means that I have to travel 150 kms to get any work done.

To top it off the bike is on a Can Bus system and you need the dealer to plug Triumph's test tool in.

Unlike other Triumph ECM's, they lock the Trophy's, so 3rd party software crashes the ECU.

There is a good 3rd party diagnostic tool that will help but until they find a way to bypass Triumph's locked ECM your stuck taking the bike back to them.

And to add to my origional post:

The A/D converter that monitors the battery voltage isn't set right, always a "Low Battery" warning.

The OEM batteries fail, mine did.

A mates TPMS rear transducer battery is already low, $250 for a new transducer and you need Triumph to program the transducer into the ECM.

The speedo is out by a country mile, a good %10 and Triumph will not fix it.

It may well turn into a reliable bike in a year or two but I will not be buying anything Triumph anymore.

If Mr Triumph ever rings me back, I'll tell him not to worry and that I've traded it for another FJR.

Gidday Ken

I was just reading your post and thinking about maybe importing a 2014 ES FJR from say L.A. I was also just on the "Mainfreight" website and it looks like they will handle the whole transaction with staff residing in the LA. Just looked at the US-NZ exchange rate with the bike costing me 20k ball park plus 15% GST plus freight of course. It may be worth a look at considering we will quite possibly never see the 2014ES here anyway.

Regards

Gaz

Hi Gazza,

I was talking to My Yamaha (Australia) last week on the phone, he said something like "we are not importing them in the foreseeable future".

A prior email also said that if they do decide it will be an additional $5000.00, shafted as usual.

I think in the USA they are only an additional $1000.00 US ?????

I'll stick with the normal suspension.

At least I can work on the forks, (have a completed set of spares) and have a good Ohlins rear I can swap across to the new bike.

Be good if you can import one, there are too many hurdles here in Australia.

With the Trophy, you can hit a preset button, have real good sloppy suspension, go to another per-programed setting to stiffen the suspension and have fun in the twisties.

Cheers