Main switch won't shut power off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NHredliner

Reaction score
So I just got home from a 300+ mile ride and when I shut my bike off all the power stays on. I tried starting and stopping and turning the key all the way to the lock position but nothing worked. Finally I disconnected the ground from the battery. My main switch was replaced by the dealer when I bought the bike a few years ago. Seems like it will need to be replaced again? This is the first problem I have had with the bike in 22,500 miles.

Thinking it could be a stuck main relay rather than the switch? Certainly worth a look. I assume the engine shut down but the rest of the electrics did not? Did the headlights stay on as well or just the marker lights?

That's a new one!! Previous owner did some auxiliary wiring? You haven't had the bags off the bike? - i.e. how could you not be aware of extra wires going to the bags??

If previous owner did some creative electron pushing on the bike, the first thing I would do is remove everything that doesn't belong. I still think there is a chance that there is a bad relay rather than ignition switch but I am wondering whether there is some "stuff" wired into the main harness that isn't un-powering when it should and feeding back through to other stuff. Recipe for BIG problems if you don't get it sorted out.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have had the bags off the bike and yes there are wires, but this is the first time that I ever saw those lights on. Probably because every time I turned the key to off (prior to tonight) the power was cut off. I just assumed the wires and lights were stock. I just went out to double check and when I connected the ground to the battery all the power came back on including the lights in the saddlebags?

Was the ignition recall ever performed? You can check by VIN. Usually, an ignition failure results in no power or ability to start, though.

Was the ignition recall ever performed? You can check by VIN. Usually, an ignition failure results in no power or ability to start, though.
As the OP stated "the main switch was replaced by the dealer" I would think that was the ignition recall...but hey, what the hell do I know

Last edited by a moderator:
As the OP stated "the main switch was replaced by the dealer" I would think that was the ignition recall...but hey, what the hell do I know
DOH! I missed that. Thanks for pointing it out though, DICK!
fuck.gif

Seems foolish to have light in the bags that worked with the key, You would have to have a key in the ignition and a second key to unlock the bag so the lights could be utilized. I agree with tearing out any after thought wiring if only to change the way it operates.

Thinking it could be a stuck main relay rather than the switch? Certainly worth a look. I assume the engine shut down but the rest of the electrics did not? Did the headlights stay on as well or just the marker lights?
Ummm... which "main relay" would that be? :unsure:

The only "main relay" that could be stuck on would be if someone had installed a Brodie Ignition Switch Relay Mod (fix for the ignition switch burning problem). I could see that getting stuck on somehow and having the symptoms described.

Ummm... which "main relay" would that be?
unsure.png

The only "main relay" that could be stuck on would be if someone had installed a Brodie Ignition Switch Relay Mod (fix for the ignition switch burning problem). I could see that getting stuck on somehow and having the symptoms described.
I was under the (obviously mistaken) impression that there was some sort of relay (associated with main fuse) that could explain stuff if contacts were fused together. That would make sense - I guess that's why Brodie had to create one!!

So what's up with the symptoms?

Bike has been towed to the dealer for repairs since I was unable to start it this morning. Pretty sure the PO didn't do the Brodie Relay Mod. He bought it new in 08 and only put 5000 miles on the bike and I bought it september of 2013. Now with 27500 and besides fork seals being replaced and the first major service done a few weeks ago I think I'm doing ok. Still on original battery which will probably be replaced. I agree about the lights in the bags and never saw them before this since I would shut the bike off and then use the key to open them. Will have to ask the PO about this? He only lives a few miles down the road. I consider this just a "luxury problem" and am Sooo glad it didn't happen yesterday when I was deep in the middle of nowhere Maine and 150 miles from home and many miles from civilization!! Certainly a bit frustrating and the worst part is not having my bike, but my folks are coming to visit in a few days and there is a 4 day music festival just a few miles down the road that I will be enjoying between work Thursday- Sunday. Hope to have the bike back soon and that the damages ($$$) aren't too bad. Thanks all of you experts for the support!

Picked my bike up today and as it turns out it was a wiring issue from the PO's install of a comm system that he wired to the ignition. Dealer said he didn't do a great job and some of the wires came loose/ were rubbing together under the tank and were shorting out the system. That's the best I can describe it. Anyway, the service manager said it took the tech 5 hrs. but they gave me a break and took off an hour and they also replaced a piece of the tupperware which the tech broke when my 26k service was done. I was happy that they made good on it. Now hopefully I will have many more miles of trouble free joy with this bike until I decide to upgrade to a gen III or IV.