Maintenance before a big trip

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

birkdale10

Reaction score
I found and read a couple of websites showing service intervals and what is needed for various miles.

I just passed 34,000 on my 2016 FJR. In mid-July I'll be leaving from the Dallas area towards the Arctic Circle. I've scheduled about 8000 miles (not including a 4 day ferry ride from Seattle to Anchorage).

I was at my local bike shop asking about what they thought I needed for maintenance. Service guy said, bring it in, and $1300.00 later we'll give it back to you. I slowly began to breathe again, and asked what it was that was going to be done. The 'big' thing is taking off the top and doing a valve adjustment is what I was told.

Well, I got on the phone to Jerrold at D&H Cycle, where I bought the bike. He listened and said a few bad words about my local service manager. He said that, if I don't hear the valves making a noise, they don't need adjusting.

The service interval documentation I found doesn't say anything about valves at 34k miles.

I admit that I would like to take the bike in and have 'experts' give it a careful checkout, tighten everything that is loose, adjust anything that needs adjusting (except valves!)

Seriously: do I need a valve adjustment and need to spend $1300 for a tune-up before heading for Alaska? Are there any reputable service shops for Yamahas in the north Dallas area?

If they were checked at 26k then you're not due until 52k. If they haven't been checked it wouldn't hurt. There isn't much tuning to do other than maybe a set of plugs and fresh fluids. Still doesn't add up to that kind of money. In my shop it would be less than half of that but only if they needed shimming.

Just a note on valve adjustment. Valves clearances get TIGHTER as wear occurs. A valve with TOO LOW clearance does not make a noise like one with too high a clearance. Don't assume that they are OK just because they are quiet. Having said that, even if you haven't already done the scheduled check at 26K, you are most likely OK until you get back. (Were they done at the scheduled interval?) Why take a chance? Is this something you could do yourself? (Not especially difficult to check. Making adjustments, if needed, is a bit more daunting.)

You did not mention tires. If you are gong to make this trip get new tires. The roads in Alaska are are not friendly to tires. You should be able to find out if the valves were checked by having the dealer access the service record. If not done do it. This trip will expose you to many climate changes. Have all the fluids changed and clean and wax the bike well before departing. Make sure you carry a tire repair kit. Don't forget the rain gear. Take some condoms as there are stone sheep along the highways!!
rolleyes.gif
Stay clear of moose, they are the most dangerous animal in Alaska.

Why are you taking a ferry? The AlCan highway is paved all the way and very drivable on a motorcycle. There are some good scenes on that highway. The ferry is boring. I've done both.

I skipped the first valve adjustment on my last FJR. Then I started having some problems on the road on the way to SWFOG in Taos a few years back. That was sometime before the second check on it would have been due. On the Saturday of Memorial Day weekend, conveniently enough. In the middle of freaking NOWHERE, equally conveniently.

I kind of had to push on (I thought). Cost me a lot of money. If you happen to skip this service and have a problem, do yourself a favor. Don't mention it here. Some of these guys can be damn mean to you!

Depending on your route and schedule, and his availability, maybe consider planning a layover in LaPine, Oregon. It's your chance to meet FJRay. He does good work.

Last edited by a moderator:
You just received a lot of solid advise. Me...I waited until 44,000 miles on my 05 before I did the first valve check. I had two exhaust valves that were out of spec, all else was grand. I took it to a local independant. I removed all the plastic for him, supplied a new valve cover gasket and a shim kit. He charged me $330 for the valve check and shim replacement. At $1300 your local bike shop is doing you no favors. If you're at all handy you can do the valve check, I gave mine to a professional for the shim change. No freaking way I was pulling the cams and tying up the timing chain, although I did manage to replace the CCT on my own. That was some fun..NOT.

Good luck. Listen to these guys, the advise is worth a hellova lot more than it costs.

Hey birkdale, I'd suggest adding a small, not so technical, and relatively easy maintenance task you can do yourself.

For about 5 years now, I've taken the rear drive "pumpkin" and shaft drive right off/out of my Gen 1, and properly cleaned and lubed the shaft drive, U-joint, and main drive stub using some Moly-style grease.

I do it at least once per riding season, sometimes twice depending on mileage I've accumulated.

If you aren't that familiar with this task, some excellent information from these older threads:

You may need to buy a couple new sockets for your toolkit, but they are a great investment if you're keeping the FJR for a few more years.

Have an excellent trip...

All the above is sound advise, I've got only one thing to add:

make a frikkin decision and get it done NOW!! Mid-July is coming up quickly and something will always go wrong- waiting on parts, work has to be redone, something. I ALWAYS get ALL the work done weeks in advance to work out the bugs and then NEVER do anything else that could even remotely F-up my trip or cause me stress worrying about it.

There's nothing like having a front tire replaced only to find the morning of departure that there's a slow leak where it wasn't seated right. Or the shop broke something and you have ride for a few weeks on the road looking at duct tape. And on and on, there's always something in my world.