Major Service - reasonable rate or am I being gouged?

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lawrence

Reaction score
Per my other post, got a puncture/flat on way home tonight, so towed bike to shop

I've put 22k miles on bike since 21 months, and its due for some thorough servicing

The shop estimated 7.5 hrs, $712.50 in labor plus another 80-90 in parts, misc, waste disposal, etc

This will basically be the every 16k service plus a little extra

The shop I took the bike to says they are busy, but from the m/c tow truck driver he says most shops are dead right now.

While they have the front apart, I'll may have them install the FJR OEM heated grips as well.

I'm cheap, but don't really have time or the tools to do all this myself. I know there are mechanics hungry for the work...

So - thoughts/feedback on the hours and rate? This is SoCal, so I know other parts of the coutry would be much cheaper. For So Cal is this reasonable / a decent deal?

Per my other post, got a puncture/flat on way home tonight, so towed bike to shop

I've put 22k miles on bike since 21 months, and its due for some thorough servicing

The shop estimated 7.5 hrs, $712.50 in labor plus another 80-90 in parts, misc, waste disposal, etc

This will basically be the every 16k service plus a little extra

The shop I took the bike to says they are busy, but from the m/c tow truck driver he says most shops are dead right now.

While they have the front apart, I'll may have them install the FJR OEM heated grips as well.

I'm cheap, but don't really have time or the tools to do all this myself. I know there are mechanics hungry for the work...

So - thoughts/feedback on the hours and rate? This is SoCal, so I know other parts of the coutry would be much cheaper. For So Cal is this reasonable / a decent deal?

we need to talk........

R

Lawrence,

Well with the Valves NOT being done... seems high. Unless you share some outline of the costs it is hard to say.

In the meantime, talk to Fairlaner... he's known to make mechanics cry or at this level, we do it ourselves. More reading time is needed.

Good Luck with your service.

I am off to Reno in the morning and will be back Sunday, I think i have some time to do it next week and I may (repeat MAY) let you take my 08 home as a loaner as long as you don't blame me for all the money you want to spend on yours after riding it.

PM me what they said they were gonna do and everything else you were going to get them to do, also a phone number.

R

I'll be contacting you tomorrow... I could use a trip and get out of this Ice Capade we are now in.

You can use my skates....

With current labor rates dealers are charging, $80 - $90 per hour isn't excessive. I would question them on exactly what they're doing that takes only $90 in parts and 7 1/2 hours of shop time. A lot can be accomplished in that time...

Good luck!

--G

Edit -- I see Fairlaner and Silver beat me to the same general questions...

Last edited by a moderator:
Richard - PM sent with my contact info. Lindberg's SoCal info list has it as well

This does involve a valve adjustment.

Supposedly if you look at the Periodic maintenance chart in the Service Manual, everything listed for a 16k service (lots of checking , lubing things like control cables, and the drive shaft??). Definitely (explicitly mentioned) includes pulling off the front forks and rear-end suspension and re-greasing/lubing/whatever that as well. I'm expecting a list of things found and nice price tag for those 'extras'

Is most of that really necessary - no. I didn't bother for 120k on my Concours. Then again - it was a tired bike when I finally sold it. I ride daily to work year-round. Maybe I shouldn't be so cheap (so my wife tells me). I love my FJR and figure doing all the recommended maint will be a good way to hit 150-200k on this bike

I'll be contacting you tomorrow... I could use a trip and get out of this Ice Capade we are now in.

You can use my skates....
It was nice to get back to summer riding gloves these last couple of days, and not wear an extra layer under the Aerostitch (brisk, but not cold in the AM along the Pacific Coast)

Valve check isn't due untill 27,000. And most of that is unnecessary. Sounds like a big rip-off to me.

I would be wary, since you mention a valve check, how could the shop give you shop time; (if the valves only need checking that would be one price, if adjustments are required that would indicate a different price). Statistically the first valve check rarely needs any adjustment; and no need for an early valve check, in any case.

to clarify, I've put 22k miles on the bike since April '09. This was a sales rep bike, 49-state model, that had 8k on it when purchased (required to be able to sell in CA). The bike now has 30k miles. This definitely includes Valve inspection, I'm requested clarification is this includes the adjustment as well (I was under the impression it did/was mentioned, but...)

The one thing I don't see listed on the service manual maintenance chart is a reference to pulling the drift shaft out (easy with the entire rear-end disassemble for re-greasing) and inspecting. Yes there is changing the rear drive oil, but actually pulling out the drive shaft itself? Is that normal or ?? I recall the BMW K bike drive shaft issues (large part of why I avoided getting one as I plan to put well over 100k miles on this bike)), but memory indicates the ZG-1000 Concours and the FJR were fairly reliable. Am I remembering correctly?

Is there any drive shaft maintenance that is _not_ periodic Yamaha recommended, but advisable if I'm having them do all this work to begin with (and bike covered by YES warranty)?

Thanks for all the feedback so far.

...The one thing I don't see listed on the service manual maintenance chart is a reference to pulling the drift shaft out (easy with the entire rear-end disassemble for re-greasing) and inspecting. Yes there is changing the rear drive oil, but actually pulling out the drive shaft itself? Is that normal or ??...
Is THIS what you are talking about??

Lawrence,

YES is NOT for routine maintenance. You should do the Spline maint. yourself for 2 good reasons:

1- Learn how to do it and practice when needed to change the tire (did this yesterday myself in about 1.5 hours)

2- You KNOW it is done and what it looks like for future reference.

Hope you get the Cheap Valve Option (No Adjustment).

I just had a 16K mi. service done last week with 49K miles on the clock. Labor was $198.00, and parts (Plugs and K&N Air Filter) $77.43 for a total of $316.78, with shop supplies, HAZ Waste and TAX.

Keep Going!

I am off to Reno in the morning and will be back Sunday, I think i have some time to do it next week and I may (repeat MAY) let you take my 08 home as a loaner as long as you don't blame me for all the money you want to spend on yours after riding it.

PM me what they said they were gonna do and everything else you were going to get them to do, also a phone number.

R

F**k me, Richard. :eek: I had no idea you did maintenance on other people's bikes. I'm due for an 8K svc. Can you come up here and do that for me? There's a cheap motel in the area I could recommend. Oh, and bring your own tools. And best to ride your bike up so I can borrow it while you're servicing mine. Wow, this is great! :clapping:

Last edited by a moderator:
Got bike back today. $1,143 out the door

I dropped bike off just before close Thur night. Initial estimate was late pickup Fri night, but then I added the grip install. Revised estimate was Sat afternoon (I presumed mechanic worked on other stuff). Got an email at 9am this morning the bike was ready (though due to work, I didn't get it until late this afternoon).

That included

1 new front PR3 tire and 2 tire changes - $223

- new PR3 front (mount/balance, tire disposal and weights x2, etc)

I got 12k out of the front PR2

- remove almost new rear PR2 I had on a spare 2007 wheel, and mount on my '08 wheel

Yamaha Heated grip install (1hr) $90 ( i had bought the factory Yamaha grips on ebay for $200 last year)

felt nice in ride home in 60 deg weather and summer gloves

16k service plus/including valve adjustment - $827

- 7.5 hours $712.50

- oil change, spark plugs, shaft drive oil, drive shaft spline lube, coolant replacement $114

air filter cleaned, supposedly still in good condition

- while at it, disable windscreen auto-retract for me

- what done - supposedly everything listed in the service manual

- throttle body sync

- supposedly pulling off forks to re-pack stearing bearings and pulling off rear-end and suspension to re-pack bearings/lube, etc

however, those 2 lines not checked off on checklist. then again, neither was spark plugs but they showed me the old ones

so.... ???

- the valves did need slight adjusting (which from recent engine sound change I suspected was going to be the case)

Brake check shows at 30k miles on bike, I have 75% remaining on pads/rotors

was all of this actually done? don't know. Hope so. I'll look at the bike in more light (and give it an overdue bath from riding in the rain) tomorrow

Why did I mention YES - as this service goes into their computer, and is part of required maint to maintain warranty. this makes it self-documenting.

So how do I feel? if they really did pull off the forks and rear suspension to re-pack bearing/lube along with a valve adjustment I know they did, plus all the rest of normal maintenance then 7.5hrs seems reasonable. Maybe I could have saved a few hundred dollars taking the FJR somewhere else, but the convenience of one stop, yamaha service system recorded work, etc - means I'm comfortable with what I paid (well, as comfortable as I can be, being the bargain-hunter (cheap bastard) that I am).

Presuming at my next 16k service (about a year from now most likely) I don't hear tapping from valves, I look forward to letting Richard do it, or maybe even do it myself.