Man, I'm Struggling....

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hppants

Reaction score
Rule #1 - Pants pays cash for his toys.

I want a '14 FJR cause I'm stupid over the color and like EVERYTHING about the Gen III. With the leftover '14 prices I'm seeing everywhere, I'm really getting that tingling feeling in my fingers.

I've been contributing to a "new bike" fund for a while, and I've got enough money to pull the trigger. Of course, that money is burning a hole in my pocket. But as some of you know, my wife is quitting her job and something is telling me now is not a good time to buy a new motorcycle.

There's nothing wrong with my '05 and I really like my motorcycle. With 55K on the clock, I could ride that puppy for a long time. I rode it 250 miles yesterday, and enjoyed every one of them.

I'll probably hold for a while longer, and then pick up a hardly used cream puff '14 - but man, I'm struggling....

FWIW it won't be long before the 14 starts showing up used. I lust for a new bike as well, but the discipline to buy used has usually resulted in great motorcycle deals. Still, at only $12K for a new leftover, I wouldn't expect to save more than $1-2K through 2016. I am surprised at the level of the current discounts.

Financially you're on your own. If I had the money, it would be really hard to ignore the current deals on a '14. Like yourself, my 2005 doesn't leave me "needing" a new bike, but I know they have refined the FJR a lot. The big surprise is my 2005 is still nearly worth what I paid in late 2010.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd say wait. With wifey losing that income, it might be wise to hold on to that FJR bank in case it's REALLY needed. That would be easier than buying the bike, then have something happen that requires that money, and then having to sell her and dealing with that heartbreak. You're happy now with your '05, so wait until you know how things will pan out w/o that income. If things go good, then start looking for those '14's that have 1,000 miles on them, for $1,000's less, from the owner that has more money than sense.

All the best, for either way you decide.

You're like me when it comes to toys (and most other things as well)... no cash, no purchase. And also like me, it appears you base some decisions on what your "gut" is telling you. My advice is... go with the gut.

pants' gut...
...something is telling me now is not a good time to buy a new motorcycle.
The 14 is a sugar-sweet ride. Whether you purchase one now or next spring it will still be a sugar-sweet ride. So hang in there until your guts tells you to giddyup.

Now, let's say you spend 13.5 (bike, tax, etc) and you sell your 05 for 6. You're only out 7.5. Let your gut digest that for a while. :)

Lots going on in your life right now! Not a good time to make a large investment decision, unless of course you have lots of the green stuff? There will be a time in the future that will lead you down the right road.

Pants,

My advice would be to wait. I was supposed to ride a 20k in 20 day ride this past June and my wife had just lost her job. I started the ride and then began

collecting receipts (As LD riders do). The receipts began piling up and I quit the ride the 2nd day. I am buried in debt now and I never thought the transition

from 2 jobs to 1 (For us) would be so difficult. She starts a new job tomorrow (Thank God) and we will begin digging out.

Your wife had a better part of your joint income than my wife, so brace yourself! Your '05 has got a ton of miles left in it (My '05 is at 210k now) When you

are ready for the '14, the waiting will be icing on the cake with the feeling you have of riding it! If you are in doubt… wait it out.

As Jason suggested, perhaps sell the '05- then purchase the red beauty!

Everything has priorities but unless your motorcycle is your primary transportation....it is a toy....and its foolish to be making payments (and paying interest) on a toy.....even though in the big scheme it probably ranks about a 1 on the 10 point foolish scale.

Gotta go with the "don't do it" crowd. I was out of work for 6 months in 2012, and it was really tight for a while. You'll find better deals in March or April, anyway.

Sending out the good vibes.

Every one of you rascals need to read this. By the way, my thanks to those of you who have provided some VOICE OF REASON on this forum. You are not alone my friends. There are hundreds of us out here that own older FJRs. And thanks in part to their incredible reliability, and the relatively few MAJOR changes made to the platform over the years, the one you have isn't much different than the any new one you can buy.

Think about it:

The new ones are smoother. Just my opinion here, but I really don't care. My FJR is plenty smooth enough. Value to me? Zero.

The new ones have a really slick gauge layout. Fine. Gen 3: +1.

The new ones have cruise. How can anybody argue with that? Gen 3: +1.

The new ones have better forks and springs: My FJR suspension works perfectly. It soaks up bumps and is rock solid in every situation that I find myself in. Value for me? Zero again.

The new ones have better heat control. For the next 6 months, I'm very thankful I ride a Gen 1. I really like the warmth on my legs. Value to me? Gen 1: +1 (for now). I'll have to adjust that percentage in May.

The new ones cost more. A lot more. I DO CARE about that. I'm not alone here either. +1 for my Gen 1.

The new ones depreciate more. Not only do you get to pay more, you get to lose more. Funny how this never gets mentioned around here. +1 for my Gen 1 again.

Just my humble opinion, but according to my calculator, that beautiful new Gen 3 FJR lost this race.

Disclaimer: I know there are a lot more wonderful things about the new Gen 3 that I've not mentioned here. I know it's better in many ways.

But I've learned to be happy with what I have. I live in a modest small home on a crummy dirt road. However, my yearly taxes are less than 300 bucks.

I drive an 8 year old Camry hybrid. I drives and looks like new, has been paid off for years, and gets better than 40 mpg. Funny how Toyota sends me letters every other week with their latest deals. Humbug.

I look in the mirror. The hair's turning grey. I see fellas dying their hair so they can look younger. I see the commercials. I say: baloney. This old head has seen me through 45 years of working. My hair was brown when I began the journey of raising 2 daughters. I've earned every one of these gray hairs, and plan to enjoy them. You can have your stupid hair dyes.

Funny how so many people spend their lives lusting after that which they don't need and can't have. I'm not trying to be critical. For those who can genuinely afford it, perhaps it's a different story. But for me, life's too short for that. Ya gots ta live within yer means, dad used to say. Truth is, I'm perfectly content. Now if I can just get my anti lock brakes fixed...
smile.png

Gary

darksider #44

It seems to be unanimous.

And then I show up...

I am going against the group, I say do it. Buy it, buy it now, and ride it right now.

1. You have a lot of the cost already saved. You have an '05 in excellent shape you can sell or trade. So you will be financing how much? Your monthly note will be less than a full tank of diesel in my truck.

2. You ride your motorcycle. It is not a garage queen that stays parked and polished. Your bike covers a lot of ground and you use it.

3. Your motorcycle is therapy. The time on the bike is therapy, your time working on the bike is therapy, and your time planning your next ride is therapy.

4. The Gen3 has more passenger room and comfort than your Gen1. You finally have an opportunity to do some riding with your wife, it is all coming together now. Why not make her comfortable and make those memories with a shiny new FJR?

5. The Candy Red looks great in photos. That will make your Ride Reports even better.

I don't have the cash to pay in full for my new bike. I should feel guilty but I do not. I ride my motorcycle. It takes me places, it shows me things and it is yet another wonderful way for me to spend time with my Dad. I cannot put a price on any of that.

Remember, it is only money. It is no good until you spend it.

Ok - Redfish makes some good points as well. Sure am glad that I am not smitten by the 14 or 15 colors.

Gary and I think almost alike on this one. Normally, I don't get ape shit over these things, but for some reason, this is kind of itching me. I'm sure it will pass.

Gary and I think almost alike on this one. Normally, I don't get ape shit over these things, but for some reason, this is kind of itching me. I'm sure it will pass.
So I'm looking at the map of "states visited" in your sig and thinking ....

With the money you would save by not buying, you might could afford to take a month, or six weeks, and plan that "Great North American Tour" you always wanted to do.

When you get home, you will still have a nice FJR, and many, many memories.

Sounds like it's not a good time. Probably not a good time to buy. But I wouldn't listen to me. I researched the fool out of the '14s. I have a like new truck I bought with cash, and wife's car is paid off, so it's not like I have a vehicle payment. Got 2 grand over blue book for my old bike. It was meant to be.

...Think about it:Tree.

The new ones are smoother. Just my opinion here, but I really don't care. My FJR is plenty smooth enough. Value to me? Zero.

Tree.

The new ones have a really slick gauge layout. Fine. Gen 3: +1.

Tree.

The new ones have cruise. How can anybody argue with that? Gen 3: +1.

Tree.

The new ones have better forks and springs: My FJR suspension works perfectly. It soaks up bumps and is rock solid in every situation that I find myself in. Value for me? Zero again.

Tree.

The new ones have better heat control. For the next 6 months, I'm very thankful I ride a Gen 1. I really like the warmth on my legs. Value to me? Gen 1: +1 (for now). I'll have to adjust that percentage in May.

Tree.

The new ones cost more. A lot more. I DO CARE about that. I'm not alone here either. +1 for my Gen 1.

Tree.

The new ones depreciate more. Not only do you get to pay more, you get to lose more. Funny how this never gets mentioned around here. +1 for my Gen 1 again.

Just my humble opinion, but according to my calculator, that beautiful new Gen 3 FJR lost this race...
But, if you put all those trees together you get a beautiful forest. The sum is greater than the parts.

IMG_2283a-XL.jpg

smile.png
Glad to help!