Mature Riders and FJR's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
65 birthdays, but if I take out the wasted years I wasn't riding (about 1964 to 2001) I'm only 28. Does that make me the youngest?

[SIZE=12pt]How old am I again? After 21, there aint nothing to look forward to/bother thinking about until 40 starts approaching. I was born in January 1979 so that makes me 28 (I bought my FJR last year at the ripe old age of 27).[/SIZE]
One thing I have found interesting is trying to explain to younger people what kind of motorcycle I have. For example, someone will ask “is it a crotch rocket?” No. “Is it a Harley?” No. I tell them I have a 2006 Yamaha FJR1300A… then I go with the definition Yamaha gave it… it is a “Super Sport Tourer.” What do I get? Looks of bewilderment.

Not true. Thing to look forward to after age 21:

1. At age 25 your insurance rates go down.

2. At 30 you can no longer be trusted.

3. At 35 you can be the president of the United States

4. At 39 you can change your name to Jack Bennie.

AND remember, you just said you bought your FJR at age 27. Do you really think you will have that same bike at age 40?

I bet your already looking forward to a newer FJR and many many happy rides befrore the age of 40.

Come on. Don't be so down on yourself. Heck, by the time your 40 you could be working on your second or third marriage!

OR have seveal more kids. (forget the new bike) if you have those kids.

If you are working on a second or third marriage by 40 you will need a new bike. One of the X's will have gotten the one you had when you were married! (sad by true)

See, life is always full of new and exciting adventures, just around the corner. You have 13 years of fun before 40!

As the line in Mame goes: "LIFE IS A BANQUET AND MOST PEOPLE ARE STARVING TO DEATH!"

So go out and get your piece of the pie!
yahoo.gif

CK
icon_mrgreen.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Renegade - one of the sweet mysteries of life - we don't know when we have started the back 9 of life!

Holey cr@p! You're right. Here I was thinking I was on the 10th hole, about to tee off, but I could be on the 18th green....and not even know it???? I need to get out and ride more!

I'm 47, and in looking for my "next" bike, the FJR wasnt even a "twinkle" in my eye. After looking at the 07 FZ1, the sales person said they had an FJR...to which I said, "What's that, a jetski?" I put a down payment on one that day!

Comfort, style, 145 hp, and the stock bags did it for me. And, I'm keeping the 03 V Max until Yamaha gets off its BUTT, and produces the prototype they have been teasing me with. I will admit though, had it not been for having a little more disposable $$$, and a wife who wants to ride more.....I would have probably hooked up with the FZ1.

I did my first tour 2 up in 1959 on a BSA 250 Star. Yes, a 250. My mate and I had a hell of a great time for one week and 1500 miles. Even found some chicks but couldn't talk them into it. Still touring 48 years later but no longer on a 250 and no longer wasting riding time on chicks. Anyone want to spend the week after WFO running around Colorado?

Phil

Charter Member

Weezers & Geezers MC

[SIZE=12pt]One thing I have found interesting is trying to explain to younger people what kind of motorcycle I have. For example, someone will ask “is it a crotch rocket?” No. “Is it a Harley?” No. I tell them I have a 2006 Yamaha FJR1300A… then I go with the definition Yamaha gave it… it is a “Super Sport Tourer.” What do I get? Looks of bewilderment.[/SIZE]
I tell them its a couch rocket

59+ here. First ride was a Sears Cruisaire (low $Vespa) in '62. Currently riding a VF500F ('85). I take delivery of my new '06 FJR next month. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas. I started out looking a FZR1 then saw the FJR. Lust at first sight (and then I got to start it up on the showroom floor!!!) I was hooked.

Maybe the snow will have quit by then :rolleyes:

Don't know if anyone has mentioned it, but there's this survey: https://www.fjrforum.com/forum//index.php?s...;hl=age++survey

35 & FJR is my 6th bike. Recently returned to riding after a 14 year layoff & traded in my V-Max for the FJR because of its LD capabilities & comfort. It's the first "sport" bike I've ridden repeatedly & I'm very, very happy with it.

I wonder who Yamaha thinks their market niche is? Are they targeting a specific demographic with their choices? Also, until this year, it was pay yer money & wait. My guess is that this system in itself will lead to "older" customers (young folks want instant gratification the stereotype goes). Price is also a consideration when thinking about demographics (income, on average, increases over the course of someone's life): the FJR costs more than other, purer rockets.

Here's another question: what is the average age of those who identify themselves as part of the LDR community vs. the average age of "sport" bike owners vs. the average age of "cruiser" owners vs. the average age of all bike owners?

Not it.

I'm 45 years old owner of an '05 FJR, which seems to put me near the middle of the demographic. I got mine to help me tone down my street riding habits and use it as a pack mule. I've nick named it "Baby Dumbo".

52 here also - been riding for 36 years - probably the best all around bike I've ever owned.

I can't believe I just read all 8 pages of this thread,,,,,I must be gettin old! :lol:

Loved the comment about the useless pickle.

TWN,,,,,,WTF was that about? :huh:

Just turned 65. Went and signed up for medicare the other day. 06A. Love it. The handling, the power and I think it is beautiful. Farkled with power commander, corbin, headlight modulator, gps and electric grips. Hope it lasts forever (forever for me I hope is at least 15-20 yrs.) Hope to still be riding then and flying as well. Just love the bike!

Hit 60 on Jan 8, 07. Got the 06 FJR on Dec 27, 06. Got the FJR because I was riding faster on, and taking more chances on my Sprint ST than I ever did in my previous 40+ years of riding. Got the FJR as a more sedate, laid back bike and to take much longer trips in more comfort. I ride the FJR in EXACTLY the same manner as my Sprint but I get to cover longer distance rides in much more comfort.

Made 64 years last November and ride an '05 with lots of farkles that you guys taught me where to buy and how to install. Previously had a '96 Honda Pacific Coast (PC800) which has become sort of a commuter cult bike. Sold it for more than I paid for it, after 2 years of ownership. Before that it was an '86 Honda Interceptor while I was living in NJ. I was convinced that Honda was the way to go, but the FJR beat out the ST1300 on price and performance.

I'm 25. Do I win something?
new_bike.jpg
That is a sweet-lookin' motorcycle. I'd like to get one. Oh wait a minute.... Never mind.

Hey, what are you, about 8 feet 15 inches tall? In any event you look good on that bike. And glad we got some Xers on the forum. Someone's gotta find out what happens when the pegs start scraping and you think "no problemo" and just keep going over. I'm dying to know. Uh, let me re-phrase that.... :blink:

Me, I'm 51, second bike, just coming up on 4 years riding and riding and riding...

Jb

Man of La Mancha

P.S. Any better lean-over clearance on the post-'05 bikes?

first bike was at 15 years old a suzuki 90 dirt bike . others owned 78 suzuki gs750 , 75 kawi z1900 , 77 kz 1000 and now the big boy fjr05 , 46 years young

49, and holding on for dear life.

My '05 is my fourth bike, by far the best.

I bought mine through divine intervention, on ebay, (hard to explain, I don't buy stuff online, it was all too weird) and through a combination of an Air Canada ticket and a cross-border hitchhiking adventure, wound up in northeastern Montana with a bank draft and a FJR woody in the driveway of the previous owner. My test ride was over 700 miles long. I had never even sat on one before.

So, do I fit into the typical demographic?