maybe a weird question about tires

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
good discussion, thanks everyone. Bought some beads, better safe than sorry. I'm on my sixth set so I can certainly tell if there is an improvement in vibration and also in wear pattern.

Just had the shop install my 5th set of tires. I noticed that there are no wheel weights on the rims. None. I asked them about this and they said, it didnt need any.
Does that sound right to you? Of course now I convinced myself I can feel a new vibration, but it might just be the power of obsession
There's some great observations and advice in this thread. A couple years ago, I noticed that my local tire store, when I lived in St. George, UT, just never moved the existing weights over a couple of tire changes. Plus, they charged a premium for tire changes/balancing. I got suspicious, and then bought a No Mar Classic tire changer and the No Mar Balancer and started mounting and balancing my own tires. It was simply amazing how much smoother my bike was when the tires were actually balanced!

Yeah, I did balance my rims re: advice from this forum, and no, the heavy spots of the rims did not match the valve stems.

I did not know about the bar code corresponding to the heavy spot on Michelin's, but the several sets I've mounted usually don't require an ounce to balance anyway.

Hope this helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
the heavy spots of the rims did not match the valve stems
The same with my bike's wheels.

I have the sweet spot marked on the rims and move the tyre around the rim to find the position of least amount of weights.

Run with right angle valves that sometimes require 40 gms of weights or more.

It's quite surprising how far out the balance can be on the front wheel without effecting the bike and can change within a 1K kms.

(bloody puncture)

One of my big-ass, wide-glide buddies just picked up a Weaver M807X and a Parnes balancer for his garage tinkering. I went over to "practice" with him a couple of weeks ago and we mounted and balanced tires for 5 bikes (4 sporties, 1 Fatboy). It's funny how they all show-up for "free" tire mounting night. Most didn't know we were rookies using them as subjects. So.... maybe we just suck ass (and I'm sure we do compared to some here!) but we had at least some kind of weights on all 9 tires (1 dude was a rear only). In reality, that changer is so slick, a blind man could of done it (OK, we maybe are in that category after a few Rolling Rocks)
Now as Fred mentioned- aligning up with the heavy side of the rim to the light side of the tire?? that is probably about a 12-pak shy of what we could possibly achieve. Hey, it was fun changing the tires but way more fun drinking beers afterwards!

So, next year maybe we'll learn that trick... maybe
wink.png

Had you guys been drinking real beer from the good craft brewers in up-state NY rather than green death, the balancing project would have been spot-on!!!

My solution to tire balancing is, Dyna Beads in front tire and Ride-On in rear tire. I'm on third set of PR2's with this combo and have had no issues. I do not want those ugly weights on my rims. If I pick up a nail in the rear tire (most nails choose the real tire)I can ride till I get home.

My buddy is using the Ride On in the tires on his Goldwing. So far his only complaint is an initial imbalance when tires are cold, but it smooths out very fast as tires heat. I'm considering trying the Ride On in mine on next tire change. Why are you not using the Ride On in front also? According to my friend it will balance tires and stop leaks.

One of my big-ass, wide-glide buddies just picked up a Weaver M807X and a Parnes balancer for his garage tinkering. I went over to "practice" with him a couple of weeks ago and we mounted and balanced tires for 5 bikes (4 sporties, 1 Fatboy). It's funny how they all show-up for "free" tire mounting night. Most didn't know we were rookies using them as subjects. So.... maybe we just suck ass (and I'm sure we do compared to some here!) but we had at least some kind of weights on all 9 tires (1 dude was a rear only). In reality, that changer is so slick, a blind man could of done it (OK, we maybe are in that category after a few Rolling Rocks)
Now as Fred mentioned- aligning up with the heavy side of the rim to the light side of the tire?? that is probably about a 12-pak shy of what we could possibly achieve. Hey, it was fun changing the tires but way more fun drinking beers afterwards!

So, next year maybe we'll learn that trick... maybe
wink.png
Well at least it was on Harley's so they wouldn't have known if you did a good job or not.
tonguesmiley.gif

Well at least it was on Harley's so they wouldn't have known if you did a good job or not.
tonguesmiley.gif
Only 1 Hard-ley in the group for new rubber, the host dude w the Weaver tire changer was the hard nosed HD guy, and he gets plenty 'Harley cocky-arrogant' the more beers you flow into him. I give him shit right back, he doesn't do well with it either, probably why we are more distant friends ;)

I just may go back to my dealer when I need to get new rubber from now on (so I don't have to hear his whinny iron-horse-ass). Yeah, it's that bad. DICK! (no, not you... him!)

Had you guys been drinking real beer from the good craft brewers in up-state NY rather than green death, the balancing project would have been spot-on!!!
The Rolling Rocks were in "his" fridge. They weren't all that bad after a few, but it sounds like you have WAY better tastes! :)

I fully understand your situation. Harley riders are generally inclined to drink factory beer (Bud, Coors, Miller, Corona). Rolling Rock is a factory beer but not one most Hardly Davidson bikers order. In the Finger Lakes area you can buy very good craft beers brewed right there in your area. My old college buddy lives in Pittsford, NY and I have visited many of the breweries in your region and can attest to their quality. Now, go get real beer!!!

P.S. Enough about beer, the reason I do not use Ride-On in my front tire is because front tire nails are very rare and the Ride-On heavy spot is a nuisance while tire is warming up. For some unknown reason the rear tire does not seem to have the same off balance effect.