MCL Passenger Foot Peg Lowers & Heat Shields

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

07FJRVegas

Reaction score
I'm considering a set of MCL foot peg lowers for the rear of my FJR and the complementary heat shields. My wife's legs get cramped after a few hours and she has a habit of cooking her heels to the mufflers! If anyone has tried these, your feedback would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife also complained about cramped legs on long trips. My first attempt to fix the problem was with some extenders from here:

https://www.cycle-istic.com/peg-extenders/ . They are further down and out than the MCL ones, but this can create a problem if you're an aggressive rider because they will drag when leaned over. Usually the passengers foot will drag also. The other problem is that they don't fold up as nicely as the MCL version. But if you don't hot rod, these will be the most bang for the buck as far as stretching out her legs.

When a used set of MCL extenders came available, I snatched them up. I like that they fold up neater and keep the ball/detent of the stock peg to keep the peg up (I had to rely on a tight bolt and friction to keep the peg up on the first ones I bought and it worked fine). Although they don't allow quite as much passenger leg stretch, I switched them out over the winter and when we rode again the wife never complained. So I'll call them a success! ;)

BTW, on long freeway trips I often use my highway pegs to stretch my own legs and when doing so I tell the wife over the intercom to put her feet on my pegs to allow her to also stretch out. Works great unless you want to get your feet back on the pegs in a hurry, so we only do this in sparse traffic on the freeway.

Thanks Harald. Sounds like the MCL extenders work well for you and I expect will do the same for us.

Do the extended passenger pegs cause any interference with the riders feet at all?

I also move my feet up to the highway pegs and get my wife to use the drivers pegs on select portions of straight road; it works but isn't the best practice from a safety perspective.

Do the extended passenger pegs cause any interference with the riders feet at all?
I generally ride with the arch of my boots on the pegs and then there's no problem. It's only when I'm pushing the corners that I'll move my boots back so I'm on the balls of my feet (otherwise I drag the outer edge of my boots before the feelers hit) and then I often bump into the wife's toes. But she knows to shift her boots when that happens and there's no problem.

I bought a set of these cycle-ist extenders & find that the footpegs don't fit the extensions at all unless you leave the spring, ball-bearing out. Am I doing something wrong?

I ordered the set they recommended for the FJR.

I got them installed today. I had to grind down the bushing in the footpeg assy to get them in the extenders. I was able to use the ball & spring but it was a tight fit. My wife liked them when she sat on the backset & tried them.

After we take a long trip I'll have a more accurate opinion.

After my wife melted her heels on both mufflers I ordered the MCL lowering brackets and shields. Also ordered the rider lowering brackets.

She is very happy now. Knee bend is much lessened and no more worries about melted boots. I like the rider pegs for comfort but hoping the reduced cornering clearance is not an issue. Too sandy on the roads to go peg scraping yet.

I'm considering a set of MCL foot peg lowers for the rear of my FJR and the complementary heat shields. My wife's legs get cramped after a few hours and she has a habit of cooking her heels to the mufflers! If anyone has tried these, your feedback would be appreciated.
Got em. Like em. My wife used to complain about pain and cramping in her knees even though we're both on the short side and ditto for the melting boots so I installed the MCL kit and no more complaints or melted boots.

Received the MCL passenger peg lowers and heat shields. High quality items and easy to install. Went for a 200 mile round trip with my wife - she likes the foot position much better, was far more comfortable and indicates the new peg position also assists with her better positioning / comfort on the seat.