ME880 Rear tire test results

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any updates on the JeffAshe treadwear rating of the ME880? Inquiring minds want to know.
David
I put almost 4,000 on the ME880 rear, pulled it off for WFO, put it back on and did about 2,000 more before changing it. So 6,000 miles, more or less, and it was just reaching the wear bars.

6,000 miles in my territory, should be good for 10-12,000 most anywhere else. It's nearly double my average mileage for Strada rears (3,500).

I have some cold weather riding in the mountains coming soon and I have a set of BT021s to test, so no more ME880 for me until early Spring.

What pressures are you guys running with the Strada/880 combo?Thanks,

dave
Solo: 36 psi rear ME880, 38 psi front Strada

Two-up/fully loaded: 38 psi rear ME880, 40 psi front Strada

The ME880 is a thick and heavy tire. I find it handles better with a tad less pressure.

Two up for me, 260#, and the misses @ um ah 130#? would be 41 front and rear. Of course, I'm running an PR up front instead of the Strada.

Jim

This is going to be a major thread re-birth!!

I need new tires and have been wondering what to get, of course.

I run the 880's on the Wee Strom and they work for what they are designed for (long distance highway miles). That's what I've been using the bike for (70 mile round trip freeway commute) and was wondering what they would be like on the FJR.

Sounds like just what I'm seeing on the Wee. The rear is fine but I don't like the front (although it shows ZERO wear in 14K miles, yes 14K!!!).

Looks like I'll order up a 880 rear and try and figure out what to get for the front, probably a Z6 interact??

This is going to be a major thread re-birth!!
I need new tires and have been wondering what to get, of course.

I run the 880's on the Wee Strom and they work for what they are designed for (long distance highway miles). That's what I've been using the bike for (70 mile round trip freeway commute) and was wondering what they would be like on the FJR.

Sounds like just what I'm seeing on the Wee. The rear is fine but I don't like the front (although it shows ZERO wear in 14K miles, yes 14K!!!).

Looks like I'll order up a 880 rear and try and figure out what to get for the front, probably a Z6 interact??
There are other threads on this tire if you want to look for them. I ran an ME 880 rear up to Nova Scotia and back a few years ago and the tire was very good for that purpose. I traveled with 4 other people who were on cruisers of varying makes as an indicator of the quickness of the trip. When that tire went away....around 9,000 miles as I recall, I put another one on the rear. Well, I removed it before it was 1/2 worn out due to several experiences I had with it coming unhooked in cold and rainy conditions. While I never went down, I could have and the extended mileage just isn't worth this to me. Since this tire, the Michelin Pilot Road II's and a new tire from Pirelli have appeared and appear to give good mileage and better traction than the ME 880. My 2 cents worth......actually, you got closer to a dollars worth.

jim

Grumpy speaks wise truth. ME880 is no longer the tire of choice for mileage on an FJR. Buy Mich PR2 if you are after mileage. Jury is still out on the brand new Pirelli Angel.