Mechanic in San Dego Area

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tonyducks

Reaction score
Hello,

Not sure where to post this but i would really appreciate some advice on where to go to get my valves adjusted. I live in North County in San Diego, and have been less than pleased with some of the shops ive been to recently. I know this valve job is a bit tricky, even for an experienced guy so i want to make sure my bike is going to be taken care of. Again thanks for your helpful suggestions.

Tony.

If you're looking for a Yamaha dealer, your only two choices in north county will be North County Yamaha (Escondido) or North County House of Motorcycles (Vista). A little further south is Fun Bike Center down in Kearney Mesa.

My experience with NCY has been rather unpleasant. They seem to screw something up everytime they touch my bike. They last time I went there, they adjusted my valves and the bike came home with an oil leak through the gasket. I took it back and they repaired it, but I'm getting kinda tired of that. Not going back.

I don't have any experience with the other Yamaha dealers. Hopefully someone else will add some input (I'll be interested if anyone has comments on House of Motorcycles...?).

Neil San Diego: Isn't it really sad how hard it is to find a competent Yamaha dealer, no matter where you live at? Here in Arizona: vectervp1, SkooterG and Papa Chuy take our FJR's all the way to Casa Grande to get our valves adjusted; we just don't trust the Phoenix Yamaha shops. We caravan to get our bikes down to CG; 3 guys, 2 bikes and a car. Crazy!

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish I was closer. I would be glad to help you out.
FJRay, truer words were never spoken! With your outstanding mechanical skills, your shop would always be crowded! But, Seth and I have been to your home; LaPine, OR is beautiful!

The best place to go is Rancho Cucamonga or Relands. FJR Forum members have had great luck there.

North County Yamaha's service department sucks. Neil, SanteFe Dreamin and I will not go back any more.

The best place to go is Rancho Cucamonga or Relands. FJR Forum members have had great luck there.
North County Yamaha's service department sucks. Neil, SanteFe Dreamin and I will not go back any more.
johnny80s: Do they serve grappa at either one of these shops?

Hey don't FU a perfectly good thread. That is not right.

Hola Juan, it was a perfectly valid question! Inquiring minds want to know!

Hola Juan, it was a perfectly valid question! Inquiring minds want to know!
No I don't think so but the guys at NCY must be intoxicated when they work on bikes.

Neil San Diego: Isn't it really sad how hard it is to find a competent Yamaha dealer, no matter where you live at? Here in Arizona: vectervp1, SkooterG and Papa Chuy take our FJR's all the way to Casa Grande to get our valves adjusted; we just don't trust the Phoenix Yamaha shops. We caravan to get our bikes down to CG; 3 guys, 2 bikes and a car. Crazy!
Yep, sad it is. I gave NCY WAY too many chances, but this last time was the last straw. Just because they are courteous about fixing thier screwups, doesn't mean I like dealing with their screwups...

I still can't believe that brake job they did on Santa Fe Dreamin's bike - Jeebus Kreestmas! :blink:

Rancho Cucamonga and Redlands are just a bit too far for me (at least for now). I'm really hoping that North County House of Motorcycles will be a good option.

And yea, I think that the mechanics at NCY are keeping all the grappa for themselves and not sharing. :glare:

I use National City Motorcycle (just south of San Diego).

I just had my second valve check (59,000) and still within spec. First one was also within spec. The cost for mine with a complete service including but not limited to; TBS, valve check, all fluids, lube, replace 8 rubber grommets on valve cover (10 dollars a piece) and plugs for 630.00. I figure 600 every other year is not that expensive. Very nice people and they really care about their quality of work. My 2 cents. My FJR is awesome after getting it back.

They will match any internet deal I find for tires also. :yahoo:

Ok, Ducks and Neil I say we all meet at Johnny's place for grappa and a valve job. Just don't let him touch your cam shaft. ;)

Anyone with feedback on Fun Bike Center. I am new to town and wouldn't mind getting additional feedback. They are a bit closer to me (and the give discounts on parts to AD military), but if there is a definite better shop a short bit away (National City or El Cajon), I'd ride it.

Ok, Ducks and Neil I say we all meet at Johnny's place for grappa and a valve job. Just don't let him touch your cam shaft. ;)
Darn, I forgot about that Johnny's Place. I hear you just ride in, put your feet up, eat some grub, give him some really good compliments, leave some pizza and you ride off. That guy is so nice. :blink:

PS: The reason I don't go to stealerships is: I went to 3 in San Diego and all 3 gave me an estimate between 1200 and 1500 dollars, yes I said dollars, for a service with valve check. No way does it take 2 days to do this kind of work. I do not know anything about Fun Bike Center but I do go there to sit and kick the tires and get lost in the building it is so large. I hear that FBC is really hurting due to holding too much inventory.