Metzler 880

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Grumpy

Reaction score
I know that several folks have been running the ME 880 radials and was wondering if they'd share their mileage/performance experience?

I've seen posts on these tires on that other Board. IIRC, the tire size was different for the rear (a 160 instead of a 180) and they were just as expensive as everything else except Shinkos. Folks that used them reported longer mileage though.

Best be careful, most 880's are H rated( sustained speed to 80 mph), a better choice would be V or Z rated for the speed the FJR is capable. Don

The rep of these tires is great mileage, okay traction for harleys, but very marginal for a high-performance machine like the FJR. Treacherous in the wet.

I don't think they come in a 180/55-17, so you have to go with a 170/60-17.

- Mark

Best be careful, most 880's are H rated( sustained speed to 80 mph), a better choice would be V or Z rated for the speed the FJR is capable. 
The last time I looked (which was about 5 minutes ago) H Rated tires are rated for speeds up to 130 mph.

Sorry My mistake, H rated are good to 130. But that still doesn't quite cut it for me.....                  Don
Personally, I don't have any concerns about the 130 mph spped limitation because the time I spend above that number is usually measured in seconds rather than minutes but (as Mark stated above) the traction of a H rated tire for sport riding is a big concern. H rated tires usually have a rough ride in comparision to the V and Z rated tires -- but they usually have higher load ratings so if someone is going to take a long trip, packing double, mostly on the interstates, then a H rated tire might be something to consider. It would also be something to consider for taking a trip on roads with very rough surfaces. My H rated tires survived the Alaska and Dempster highways and they had 7500 miles on them before I left home.

I asked the question cause I'm getting tired of replacing rear tires every 7,000 miles and would like to move to something that would last a bit longer. I'm a 64 year old "geezer" that rides 2 up about 1/2 the time. My riding might suprise you, but I'm no 20 year old when it comes to dragging bites and pieces off of the bike as I rarely do that.

I ride with a guy that has the ME880 on his Pacific Coast and he doesn't have any problems in the curves. I've seen videos of Wings running the Dragon's Tail and dragging pieces on both sides without a problem. I've ridden with a neighbor who has these on his Wing and again doesn't seem to have a problem.

Even though the ME880 is only available in the "next size down" it's within 25 # of the Avon load carrying capacity and has about the same speed rating......we're talking the radial version, not the cross-belted bias tire. The smaller size ought to make the bike "turn-in" a bit easier on our twisty roads.

I had hoped that some of the guys who are running these tires would make input, but perhaps they haven't changed from the old site?

I run the 880's on a 81 Honda 650 I own. It is what could be called a "mini-tourer", as it is equipped with a Windjammer IV, jams, large carrier, but is never ridden 2 up, mainly a work commuter. The 880's have been excellent on it, good in the rain, corners well, but then, this is not a 600+ pound bike, and the Honda couldn't do Feej speeds with a hurricane on it's ass. I will say that after a couple thousand miles, they show 0 wear. If thats the priority, then they're your meats. But it also would beg the question, why the Feej in the first place? It would seem something more towards the touring end would be a better bike for you, as opposed to the sport end of the spectrum....

I ran 880s (bias ply) on my ST110 and liked them. They stuck as well for me (63 yrs old) as the 220s that wore out in <5000 miles. Don't have a mileage as I bought the FJR and gave the ST to one of my sons.

I may try the 880s again as I'm getting ready to do a 4 week, 8,000 mile trip from Iowa to CA and back in a week or so and am having to replace the half worn rear 46 @ 3,000 miles as it won't make the trip. I personally think that our tires are like our bikes-way better than we are. Ian, Iowa

when looking at the ME880 look for the RADIAL ones for the FJR.

use the 120/70 VR 17 on the front

use the 170/60 VR 17 on the rear

they are V rated which is around 150 MPH rated

they are R or RADIAL, not all of the ME880's are RADIAL so pick the correct ones.

the rear is 170/60 instead of the standard 180/55 but they are two differen kinds of tires. the main thing is they are made for 5.5" wide rims which is the correct size for the FJR.

Thanks, Bluedevil, that's kinda the conclusion I'd come to. Actually, I'll probably leave the Avon on the front as I get decent mileage from it. Putting the 880 on the rear should get me the better mileage I'm looking for.

Are you in NC?

Jim