Michelin Pilot Road 3

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeattleTy

LOVE 2 RIDE & RIDE 2 LOVE
Reaction score
I am looking to purchase a set of Michelin PR3.

Anyone know where I can get a set at a good price.

Thank you for the help and recommendation.

I am looking to purchase a set of Michelin PR3.

Anyone know where I can get a set at a good price.

Thank you for the help and recommendation.
Inquisitive.. Do u want PR3's over 2's because the grip better? From user comments I hear they also wear faster so I'm in a balancing act with my next upcoming set.

I had a set of PR2 and did not like them.

The PR2 had a tendency to slip and slid around for me at high speed and when braking hard.

I am not confident that the PR3 are much better under extreme condition.

I am only getting the PR3 because of the wet weather we have have here in the NW.

I hear they are an outstanding tire for wet weather condition.

I am thinking about getting the PR3 "V" version tire for the rear. It suppose be better rear tire for passage riding (harder sidewall).

I am sure your losing something to gain something.

As soon as I can find a great value I am going to buy a set of PR3.

Murphs has PR2 for $260, PR3 for $302 w/ free shipping. He is Gary Murphy and a friend/vendor and stand-up guy if you EVER need any help. :D hit 'tires'

Last edited by a moderator:
damn, prices are going up on those PR3's. I'll probably go back to Conti Motions rather than pay $300 plus even though I like the PR3 set I have now.

edit: Found them for $293.98 at sbtg

I just got done pricing all of this and ordered my PR2's yesterday, but here's the info from my spreadsheet.

Pilot Road 3

First price is PR3, second is the B Spec tires. Bike Bandit is the only one that doesn't do free shipping, but they do knock extra 10% off for AMA members and some insurance company I can't remember. I couldn't find B Spec on Motorcycle Superstore or ebay/Chaparral.

Jake Wilson 304.98 335.98

Revzilla 307.61 340.61

Motorcycle Superstore 316.98

BikeBandit 295.02 324.27

sporttour.com 319.8 344.8

ebay - chaparral 300.76

Pilot Road 2.

Jake Wilson for the win (Plus great customer service) for the regular. Ebay was cheaper but I've dealt with JW before and for less than a dollar I'll swing the business their way. Bike Bandit has a slightly cheaper price on the B Spec but it'll get eaten up in shipping, so JW there as well.

Jake Wilson 265.98 293.98

Revzilla 272.6 299.54

Motorcycle Superstore 284.98 312.98

BikeBandit 266.21 292.65

CompAcc 272.08 298.98

sporttour.com 290.8 314.8

ebay - chaparral 264.76

SWMotoTires 278.94 306.22

I got mine at SportBikeTrackGear for $294. Got 6K on 'em already, and no discernable wear. They grip beautifully. :)

Greetings,

Toward start of season, I put on a set of PR3s. I bought mine from www.tiresunlimited.com, $317 to my door. Comp. Accessories was about $20 less at the time, but I've used the TU guys for a decade now and their willingness to please is appreciated.

I have around 8,500 on my pair now. I'm primarily a flat-lander with trips for curves thrown in;). Starting with 6mm (new/rear), at 8,000 I measured 3mm tread depth, center of tire. The tread wear indicators are about 1.5mm in depth. At 8,000miles and 3mm wear, that's about 2600 miles/mm. With 1.5mm before hitting the TWI's, I should theoretically get another 4,000. Given that tires seem to accelerate their wear later in life, and given what I'm visually observing, my guess is I'll be somewhere around 10,500 for the rear. Front's doing good, good enough I've not bothered trying to forecast it.

The PR3s have proven an excellent all-rounder. They've got good traction. Traction in the wet is good. Overall they're confidence inspiring and give a good quality ride.

Caveats: The tread pattern in the front, which I attribute in good measure to wet weather handling, generates a bit of a hum. Nothing like a truck-tire hum, but there. Its nothing that will keep me from buying another set, just mentioning so you're not surprised. That said, given the smaller tread blocks up front, there's minimal cupping which has not progressed past what I noted after about the 1K mark.

The other thing I have noticed is air pressure. I've asked other PR3 owners about this--non FJR owners as well. All the tires I've ever bough for cast rims (e.g. tubeless), I could put air in and not need to touch again for months. Yes, I'd check, but perhaps only every 6 weeks or so. The PR3s, in comparison, must be very porous. They loose (front and rear, both) about 1-1.5 PSI/week. I routinely check my tires more or less weekly now. Went on a 2 week family trip, came home, 3 weeks from last check and they were down 4 PSI front, 7 PSI rear. So, it seems, buy PR3s, plan on having access to an air compressor too.

I got mine at SportBikeTrackGear for $294. Got 6K on 'em already, and no discernable wear. They grip beautifully. :)
At 6K on mine, the rear tire's center tread is gone. Front is fine, but I did better on PR2s I like the front's wet handling.

I just ordered a set of 120/70-17 & 190/55-17 off of SBTG for $315.98 shipped. I rode from Ft. Sill to my home in McKinney Tx this weekend and it was raining both ways. I was NOT impressed with the Shinko 005's that were on the bike when I bought it. I had a lot of squirming from both the front and rear, pretty consistent 2-4" slips while cornering and I was not riding aggressivly in the least. I have great rain gear that keeps me 100% dry so the rain normally does not bother me, but I don't like it when my butt is sore from clenching during the ride. :eek:

Hopefully the PR3's will be a substantial improvement. Now I just need to find a good place to mount them in the Dallas/North Dallas area. I am also thinking about trying some DynaBeads as I have read a lot of good comments about them.

I just ordered a set of 120/70-17 & 190/55-17 off of SBTG for $315.98 shipped. I rode from Ft. Sill to my home in McKinney Tx this weekend and it was raining both ways. I was NOT impressed with the Shinko 005's that were on the bike when I bought it. I had a lot of squirming from both the front and rear, pretty consistent 2-4" slips while cornering and I was not riding aggressivly in the least. I have great rain gear that keeps me 100% dry so the rain normally does not bother me, but I don't like it when my butt is sore from clenching during the ride. :eek:

Hopefully the PR3's will be a substantial improvement. Now I just need to find a good place to mount them in the Dallas/North Dallas area. I am also thinking about trying some DynaBeads as I have read a lot of good comments about them.
Ahh... 190/55's, joining us "fatsiders" now huh?

Motorcycle SuperStore has an extra 5% coupon code on Michelin products through September 24, 2012. That brings the PR3 price down to $301 shipped (or $270 for PR2s) for those that are in the market.

The sporttour.com link showed today's pricing of $319.90, the highest so far.