Michelin Pilot Road 4's

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paste007

Reaction score
Any feedback?

Also, compared to the Pirelli Angel GT's?

Thanks.

-------------

Thanks for the feedback, especially the forum link.

My best experience after 80K and Metzlers, Avons, Michelins, & Bridgestones, were the Pirelli Diablo Strada's. Apparently not made anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've been running them since last September and I'm happy with them. Ask me again in a couple of weeks after I thrash them on Arkansas' notoriously hard on tires roads.

Haven't tried the Angel GT.

I was using the Conti motion tires and they got chewed up fast. Rear tire is gone in about 6K. The Pilot Road 4 is holding up much longer and feel that it is worth the extra cost.

Like them a lot on my 2013 fjr, on my second set. Plan on putting them on my 2014 V-strom dl 1000 which is mainly ridden on paved roads. Give them 50-100 miles for break in.

Haven't tried PR4s yet, lots of good feedback from many forumites. One of these days I'll spring for a set.

Agree with you regarding the Diablo Stradas, great tires and phenomenal mileage. Too bad they've been "improved" and are gone.

YMMV!

--G

I'm on my 5th set in the last 2 years and quite happy. 3 sets of GT and 2 sets of regular PR4 (had to pick up mid trip). I don't notice a difference between the two but normally order GT because they are spec'ed for the bike and only $20 more /set. Mileage is around 10K/set. My normal riding area is Michigan to Maine down to Florida. Roads out west are more harsh so I would expect less mileage.

I have absolutely no complaints in wet or dry traction. I have made over a dozen trips around Deals Gap area, a handful to SE Ohio and quite a few runs on the local "twisties". I've ridden in some absolutely nasty wet weather on highways where cars were pulling off the road but the bike felt solid.

To each there own but I have no reason to change.

I'm currently using the PR-4 GT's, but I have not tried the PR-4's. Any body out there have anything on this? Not trying to steal your thread 007.

At last! I simply refused to post in this one until it made it to NEPRT. Finally, here we are.
mace.gif

The PR4GTs were (for me) a huge improvement over the OEM Bridgestones. But I hated the Bridgestones.

The PR4GT rear is narrower than the PR3. It also has a more round profile. Traction both wet and dry has been excellent so far.

The front PR4GT has given me a slight "pulsing" effect at very low (less than 10mph) speeds from day one. Now at 7K miles it is much more pronounced. If you value your life you will not let go of the bars on deceleration, the bars go berserk. Oddly, I never had any urge to do that until folks started complaining about it on this forum, then I just had to try it.
weirdsmiley.gif

My plan for next time is a PR3 rear and a standard PR4 front. We will see if that happens and how it plays out.

I've used a few sets of Angel GTs (they are very good), and only just last fall decided to try out the PR4 GTs.

Will have more to say on it later this year...

On my fazer, I had PR, PR2,PR3, and now, on the FJR, I have PR4 GP.

Before PR4, I had Bridgeston BT30. and, they was the worst tires for me... not so bad when they are new, but the bike become quickly a true anvil...
So I'm go back to the PR4 GT since 10000 km, and nothing to reproach. to heat, great grip on every weather.

Note: I ride each day on city, highway and contry to go to work

9,600 miles on a set and plenty of life left. Solid in all conditions too.

Just checked Revzilla.....both the BT30GT and BT30EVO are out of stock in our sizes.

Guess I will be going with either the PR4s or the Angel GT....I have never tried either of them, but have gone thru two sets of BT30GTs....great tire, but I am always up to trying something different, provided it got good reviews.

Got PR4-GTs and really like them. Really do. Grippy even in the wet.

Must have new rubber for the 50CC, so I'm getting Bridgestone T30s because they should last longer. The 50CC will be almost 5,000 miles round trip -- and almost all of those miles on an Interstate or major highway.

Will put the PR4-GTs back on after the Bridgestones wear out.

Best wet surface traction of any tire I have used. Don't particularly care for the noise from the front tire, though. Got decent life out of several sets. I am using PR2's almost exclusively now, though. 11K on the set on the 15 now and there is still life in the back, but the front is almost toasted. First time I have done that in over 100K of riding.