Midland GMRS

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

S76

Reaction score
I'm looking at the Midland GXT900 GMRS for bike to bike. GXT900 Do you have to carry that big 2 hole desk top charger stand around with you to recharge this at night?

Seems there must be something more compact. Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm looking at the Midland GXT900 GMRS for bike to bike. GXT900 Do you have to carry that big 2 hole desk top charger stand around with you to recharge this at night?
Seems there must be something more compact. Any help would be appreciated.
I do usually. If I go for a short weekend I can leave the charger home as both radios last more than a day so I can switch from one to the other. But usually I take the charger along with my phone charger and MP3 charger in a little packet. They aren't that big when you consider you need to take them along.

I don't recall if there is a solo charger you could plug in but that would be about 1/2 the size of the two-hole charger anyway. I have not tried the AA batteries in it so I can't comment on how long they last.

Good choice - I finally settled on this model after wearing out the Cobra 6000 and finding the Cobra 7200 useless with the Starcom.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input Marty. Desktop it is.

I am pairing this GXT900 with my Autocom Pro AVI and it turned out to be quite a nightmare so I thought I'd share to save someone else the headache.

I tried to work with First Gear, an Autocom distributor in NY. They did not know what cabling was needed to connect the Midland GXT900 with the Pro AVI unit. Also, they did not have the PTT cable in stock and didn't plan on getting any. Call the UK they said.

I called the UK, couldn't understand a word he was saying, but did get this,

Cable to interface the GMRS is P/N 1435 Estimated around $40 not sure.

PTT switch and cable is P/N 1457 Priced at $69 (From the US site)

I was told to order from the UK. Well, they do not have a website to order from and the 1435 cable is not even on the website they do have. Must be new?

So I had to send them an email requesting the 2 cables and give them my credit info. So, something is coming for around $100 or so. Hope it works.

I love the Autocom, it is a great intercom with auto volume shift at speed, auto VOX at speed, and auto MP3 volume reduction when talking to passenger or cell phone. What I don't like is they are very slow to ceate cabling for newer devices and the cabling is super expensive.

I'll post back in a week or so to let you all know if it works or not.

Energizer 15 Minute Charger $40.00

An awesome bit of technology, this charger will charge four 2000 NiMH AA batteries in just 15 minutes!!! It takes longer to eat lunch which means your batteries will be ready to go again when you are. The unit comes with both a 120 volt AC adapter as well as a 12 volt cigarette lighter adapter so you can charge while you’re on the go. The only AA and AAA battery charger you’ll ever need. Comes with 2 AA and 2 AAA batteries to get you started.