Might Have To Brush Up On My Braille

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SoCalFJR1300

Reaction score
Eye Doc says I have the beginnings of Glaucoma in my left eye.

Gave me drops to put in to reduce eye pressure.

He says if the drops don't work surgury is an option.

He said in most cases it starts in one eye and moves to the other eye as it progresses.

He said if the eye drops/surgury work to stop the progression I won't go blind.

Anyone else here have Glaucoma? How's the battle going?

Shoot.....I'm only 52 but I'm also Diabetic, probably the cause.

Last edited by a moderator:
My dad had it in both eyes. had surgery to replace both his corneas and he is now 20/20. He was 65 at the time of surgery, now 68.

My dad had it in both eyes. had surgery to replace both his corneas and he is now 20/20. He was 65 at the time of surgery, now 68.
That's great news, but I thought it had to do with a bad optic nerve? The Doc said mine are getting like "frayed"

Well if it worked for your Dad, it's good to know it's available.

My Van co driver has Glaucoma. He does the drops twice a day and goes gets checked every three months he is a year older than me at 62. He has it on good authority not to go the Pot routine as he tells me three of his doc's patients can't see anymore. He only wears readers and does his drops. His mother went blind as they didn't have the technology we have today.

I found out I had high pressure in my eyes 12 years ago, scary to think ya might go blind. I been doin drops & they work well as my pressures went from high 20's to about 14 now. I had laser surgery in one eye about 4 years ago. I dealt with it at first telling myself, I can see today pretty sure I can see tomorrow not gonna worry beyond that. Don't think about it much anymore, just be religious with the drops, & I see my eyedoc every 3 or 4 months. I had a grandfather who I never knew & my Pop always used to say he went blind, must be what he had, they didn't know sheit back then.

I found out I had high pressure in my eyes 12 years ago, scary to think ya might go blind. I been doin drops & they work well as my pressures went from high 20's to about 14 now. I had laser surgery in one eye about 4 years ago. I dealt with it at first telling myself, I can see today pretty sure I can see tomorrow not gonna worry beyond that. Don't think about it much anymore, just be religious with the drops, & I see my eyedoc every 3 or 4 months. I had a grandfather who I never knew & my Pop always used to say he went blind, must be what he had, they didn't know sheit back then.
How often do you put the drops in?

Mine say one drop at night before bed.

How often do you put the drops in?
Mine say one drop at night before bed.
I use 2 kinds , cosopt twice a day ( at 11 am & 11pm) & travastan once at 11:20 pm
Ah.....I just have one kind now, forget the name. I have a follow up appt. in a few weeks to see if the drops are working.

Just had a thought....I wear contact lenses (hard) wonder if they strain the eye at all, should ask the doc.

Glaucoma is elevated pressure of the anterior chamber of the eye. The pressure is usually caused by the inability of the chamber to drain as it is replenished with new fluid. The increased pressure can damage the optic nerve leading to loss of vision.

I have suffered from a condition called iritis, inflammation of the iris. This is treated with steroid drops to ease the inflammation and prevent adhesions. A side effect of steroid drops is elevated pressures in the eye. I was treated with Lumigan drops to combat this and they were quite effective. Made my lashes so long they touched my glasses when I blinked.

Turned out my corneas are thick and give a high pressure reading. Pressure is guaged by measuring the deflection of the cornea. My thick corneas give me a derating of 3points. No more drops for me but my retinas and optic nerves are scanned twice a year using computer tomography to detect any deterioration. So far no damage.

Do you have open or closed angle glaucoma? Open angle is easier to deal with. Drops are usually effective. Surgeries and corneal transplants are available but there is no way to repair or replace a damaged optic nerve.

I wouldn't worry too much, but glaucoma is nothing to take lightly. Stay on top of it.

I wish you the best of outcomes.

Think you may be confusing cataracts with glaucoma? Seems everyone gets cataracts eventually, but with modern surgery it is a s you say, perfect vision afterwards in most cases

Sorry SoCal, I have little direct experience with glaucoma. other than to say that my paternal grandmother had it and managed it (with drops) well enough to see (never wore glasses except for reading) until her passing in her mid 90's.

Last edited by a moderator:
I had an uncle that had it and went blind. Thought I was getting it when I started seeing rainbow halos around lights at night. Doc said it was just cataracts and later I had the surgery that fixed them. Major relief about not having Glaucoma though. Hang in there.

GP

My Dad has it, and his brother went blind from it. I reckon it's in my future too.

My dad's been getting treatment (drops) for the last 20-odd years, had the surgery a few years back, and at 89 his eyesight is still fine.

Griff