Minnesotan in Texas

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carlson_mn

Reaction score
I'll be on a TDY at Fort Sam Houston and will be riding my FJR down there. My plan is to ride the hill country the weekend of 16-17. Anyone want to do a group ride or give me some pointers or a route of the good roads in that area? I met a couple of FJR owners from Houston in Arkansas this past week and they said there's basically one good loop of roads in the Hill Country and that is fine with me since I'll just be riding for a day or two. Arkansas was amazing by the way...

Last edited by a moderator:
We were there a few weeks ago. Getting pretty hot about now. Might be pretty miserable for a Minnesotian, let alone a local

I'm in Austin, am from 'sota as well, (also Austin), and might be interested in a ride. Lemme know. I rode the sisters a few weeks back, it's as good as ever.

I'm in Austin, am from 'sota as well, (also Austin), and might be interested in a ride. Lemme know. I rode the sisters a few weeks back, it's as good as ever.
Sounds good. If you can do it, I will be riding that area next weekend.

So today I rode 800 miles down to Norman OK with a consistent off center headwind of 25 gusting to 40mph in 92 degrees, from Minnesota down to Oklahoma. That's pretty horrible across the Kansas turnpike where the flow of traffic is 80-85mph. I'm glad I had the full tankbag to lean down on.

Yeah, change in plans, won't be able to do it. I have a sales call with Bos Sci on the 18th, so will be in the TC next weekend. Ride safe!

A little review... hope I don't hurt anyone's feelings...

The '3 sisters' route was pretty lame. Yes, there was a couple decent sections for maybe a mile each at a time - 337 had some tight stuff and 336 had an area with newer pavement that was nice, but that's it. Most of it has no sight lines as the road is cut out of limestone. There is no shoulder either. Some nice views. The road was pretty choppy and bumpy for the majority so it wasn't a very comfortable ride. The road surface that they use is not very grippy either, not good for confidence.

I'm in San Antonio and the road conditions here are just terrible for a motorcyclists. I don't know if the roads are just plain dirty and oily or if it is this large chunk chipseal/tar that they use - but holy crap is it slippery. I learned right away that you cannot have fun riding around this city, your front tire will SLIP out. I've gotten to the point where I am having fun making the rear tire slide around. It's pretty much like riding on wet roads all the time, but they're not. Even my boots slide when I am stopped. Maybe it is the heat.

Did you happen to notice the large majority of the bikes on the Twisted Sisters? Yeah, they are cruisers. What is a great ride for them probably doesn't qualify as the same for a Feejer owner. I love living here, but it's not exactly CO or UT, in terms of great roads to ride.

Not sure if you are still in town, but everyone has to visit Luckenbach TX while you are here. I recommend riding RM 473 just south of Blanco off Hwy 281. Take 473 to Sisterdale and continue on Ranch Road 1376 to Luckenbach. There are countless ways to go depending on your location, this is just a way I frequent often. I also recommend continuing on past Luckenbach to Fredricksburg off Hwy 290, its only another 10 min ride, plus the town is very cool to see.

Sorry I missed ya Matt. No offense taken on our absolutely shit road conditions...dont think an FJR will do a 70 mph pwr slide? Come on down and do it most anywhere ! Its the heat/chip-n-seal combo but this stuff is crazy slick in the cold too...bonus! I've been riding the "3 sisters" since i was 15 ( we called it "the loop" back in '75 ) and they ARE great roads...for archaic air-cooled suitably festooned and tasseled bikes..and riders....whoever came up with assless chaps over size 32 waist should be neutered....and NEVER ride the hill country at night ! Anyway I hope your trip was good overall and thanks for your service !

Bobby

Thanks for the tips and what not - I had a good two weeks in Texas. You guys are right with most roads being cruiser roads but it was nice having the FJR along, kind of like traveling with your dog. I love Texas, grew up there as a kid.