Missed It By That Much

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drc32-0

Reaction score
Yep,sitting here in a church parking lot about 5 miles from Moundsville waiting for the AAA guy with a gallon of gas.That riding by the seat of my pants caught up with me on this one.I passed three gas stations...all closed.I really thought Cameron would have something open.Hey Ray,if you're reading this your FJ 09 will go 32.8 miles on reserve.I was hoping for 38.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep,sitting here in a church parking lot about 5 miles from Moundsville waiting for the AAA guy with a gallon of gas.That riding by the seat of my pants caught up with me on this one.I passed three gas stations...all closed.I really thought Cameron would have something open.Hey Ray,if you're reading this your FJ 09 will go 32.8 miles on reserve.I was hoping for 38.
I've gotten more than twice that on the FJR - not intentionally. 73 (slow) miles once.

Visited Mom this weekend; about 240 miles each way. Saw "Lo" in the display both legs of the trip. "Lo" is what shows up when the miles-to-empty drops below 5.

Sorry you had to cal AAA, but glad they were available.

Drc, what shape is Rt 250 in between Hundred and your sit by the road? That road was my introduction to riding twisty roads, with fresh pavement being applied thanks to Sen Robert Byrd. Last time I rode 250 it was getting a bit sad, hope it’s better now.

I've run out of gas 4 times on an FJR. I'm not proud of it, but it's true none the less. Twice with my Gen 1, and twice with my current Gen 3.

The Gen 1 would suck 6.6 gallons before it died. Seriously, you couldn't hear nothing inside the tank wobbling back and forth. The current Gen 3 will only pull about 6.35 gallons. So if I'm riding like I'm conserving fuel, when the reserve trips on, the absolute limit is 50 miles, which I equate to 40 mpg and 1.25 gallons, even though hopefully I'm doing better than that.

Incidentally, 3 out of the 4 times I ran out, it was because the GPS lied to me regarding nearest fuel. Either the station was no longer in business, it existed and was closed, or it absolutely did not exist where the GPS said it was. So to the O/P, I've been there, done that.

The 4th time is an interesting story. I was leading a large group of riders in the Arkansas twisties. At the pre-ride, I told everyone that they were responsible for the rider behind them. Do NOT change roads until you see the rider behind you. Well - we changed roads, and the 2nd to last guy didn't listen to me. We get a couple miles up the new road and we stop. Where's the sweep? Aw crap. So I crank up the FJR and start hauling ass back to the road change. Then I turn onto the original road and wick it up even more. In about 10-15 miles, I catch him. Imagine his surprise when I passed him on a double yellow. He wasn't a bit worried. After all, HE listened to me. He was the slowest rider and so he put himself as sweep and was riding his own ride. I bring him back to the group and now I'm well into reserve. We start heading toward Jasper and I'll never forget this. My bike died on Hwy 74 exactly 3.2 miles from Jasper as I came over the peak of the mountain. I put it into neutral and started coasting. I'm holding as much speed as I possible can in the curves. My buddy Gus ran bird dog for me just ahead. I get to the bottom (hwy 7 intersection) and with Gus signaling it's clear, I run the stop sign as I turn right. I coast across the Buffalo River and into the gas station to a pump just opposite of two pirates filling their pirate ships.

(Pirate 1) "Boy, the jap bike sure is quiet"

(Pirate 2) "Yeah, it's like it isn't even running."

(he he he).....

Last edited by a moderator:
Drc, what shape is Rt 250 in between Hundred and your sit by the road? That road was my introduction to riding twisty roads, with fresh pavement being applied thanks to Sen Robert Byrd. Last time I rode 250 it was getting a bit sad, hope it’s better now.
I got on 250 about half way between Cameron and Hundred.From where I got on 250 to Cameron the road was in great condition,a 9 or 10 on a 1 to 10 scale.From Cameron to Moundsville wasn't as good,maybe a 7,but still not bad.

I've gotten more than twice that on the FJR - not intentionally. 73 (slow) miles once.That's probably what got me into that problem.I was on my FJ 09.I know the FJR's limit a lot better than the 09's...well,I know the 09's range pretty good now.It was still a great ride,love Proctor Ridge/Amos Hollow road.