Mod to Trunk Mounting Surface Notice

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blue Angel

Reaction score
I received a notice from Yamaha in June, 2007, about this modification, to avoid the trunk's base from fracturing, if the trunk is heavily loaded. It appears the parts are not readily available from Yamaha and need to be back ordered. It seems like Yamaha is hoping no one wants to spend time taking care of this problem. I don't believe this problem is brand new and was identified much earlier than I received the notice. I had to call Yamaha myself to encourage them to expedite the parts to my dealer. I am still waiting. Has anyone experienced this problem?

You mean this other thread or this thread I found when searching for +trunk +fracture from earlier this month? I don't remember it being talked about earlier on this forum, but maybe somebody with a trunk knows.

So, Yamaha sends a notice to owners....and then hopes nobody will want to get it fixed? That doesn't make sense. Seems like Yamaha's trying to do the right thing to me and backlogged.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry you are having this problem. I have a "fractured" trunk bottom. Got my letter. Went in and the dealer had the base in stock which he put on. He ordered the trunk, which came in within a week. I made an appointment and it was installed. While checking the install the service manager noticed I had cracks in the rear supports for the fender/trunk/tail light assembly. These supports bear the entire weight from the trunk. He took a couple pictures and ordered parts, no questions asked. I just received a call from the S/M and made an appointment to have them installed. I'm sure it will be a couple hour job. I've had the 17 mpg fix, which required taking off a LOT of plastic up front. I would be willing to bet the warranty work done on my FJR would have cost me 2-3 thousand if I were paying for it. Cost to me? $0.00!!! I'm very happy with Yamaha and Roseville Yamaha. One of the best Service Managers, Zac, has owned a FJR and really know his stuff.

Anyone traveling through the NorCal area, specifically the Sacramento, CA area would be well served by Zac Mickel the service manager and by Roseville Yamaha!

I'm glad they are fixing the problem for sure. The only thing that frustrates me is that my dealer says the parts are back ordered until the end of August. I was told that the middle of July. If you're going to announce a recall, get the parts made pronto. Oh well.....

My OEM trunk is not damaged but am having the dealer install the parts - I got the notice as well as the dealer. I know they're extremely busy this time of year so have told him to let me know when things slack off and we'll take care of it. A little consideration from both parties goes a long way. (Plus I've known these guys for about - oh... 40 years!!!) Since he knew I had an FJR with the trunk, he immediately ordered the kit so it's sitting in his shop now. IMO, Yamaha has been up front about this and I have no complaints.

Take some time to build a relationship with your dealer. It can mean a lot when you need something done.

I received a notice from Yamaha in June, 2007, about this modification, to avoid the trunk's base from fracturing, if the trunk is heavily loaded. It appears the parts are not readily available from Yamaha and need to be back ordered. It seems like Yamaha is hoping no one wants to spend time taking care of this problem. I don't believe this problem is brand new and was identified much earlier than I received the notice. I had to call Yamaha myself to encourage them to expedite the parts to my dealer. I am still waiting. Has anyone experienced this problem?
My dealer ordered the "retrofit" parts. They are back ordered until 8/14 for the 06 and 07 models. I am sure there is a huge backlog of costumers waiting for the fix. I doubt there is much more to it than that.

my topcase has no less than 24k miles on it. No damage. I figure if it cracks before the parts come in, I wouldn't mind a brand new case. They are buying brand new cases for those that have damaged cases. I figure Yamaha is above and beyond on this one.

My only thought on this is that the Gen 1 Ventures had the same problem. You would think they would have learned on that one.

I don't have the trunk on my bike....my wife thinks it ruins the lines of the bike. :blink:

Ray

I'm thinking of cracking mine, just to get a new one. ;) But seriously, I agree that Yamaha went above and beyond on this one. They could just ignore the problem, same with the ticker issue. No recall, but they've been stepping up to the plate. Try and get a car manufacturer to do that.

I will add my Trunk to the damaged mass. I have nearly 32k miles on it and have traveled extensively. I did not receive a letter, but read about it here first. Gotta love the FJRForum. I inspected the bottom of my trunk and found a small, nickel size hole. I went to my Dealer and my Service Manager looked up the information on his computer. Yamaha told him to order a new trunk and mounting system for me. It is on backorder, and I am without the use of a trunk for now, but who cares? I am satisfied that the manufacturer is doing its customers right.

This is the only hiccup I have had with my bike so far. Do the maintenance, ride it hard and eat some miles.

Yep. As of today, I've been waiting for exactly a month. At first I thought the dealer was ignoring me so I called several times and got the same answer....back-ordered. That and the other posts on the forum make me realize the size of the issue. But at least Yamaha recognized and is addressing the problem.

I saw the thread about two weeks before I got the notice from Mr Yamaha. I've got about 19,000 miles on my '04 (don't laugh) and have no cracks, but will get the kit installed. I think I'll keep this bike for a while.

Remember - no more than 11 pounds in the trunk, and don't use it when you use the bags. Yup. You bet....

I saw this problem on this forum weeks/months before Yamaha sent the letters. I did get a letter and went in within a week. I really lucked out and got the mounting bracket AND the new top case within 2 weeks. Just been notified that some additional parts that were discovered, cracked, in addition to the top case problem, are now in. I'm taking it in tomorrow to Roseville Yamaha (a great dealer) to have the parts replaced. All under warranty. I'm sold on Yamaha and Zac at Roseville Yamaha.

LC