More On Ignition Or Fuel? Missing After Bike Is Hot

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ionbeam

2 FUN
Reaction score
Last fall I had one hot running incident that caused me to shorten up a ride with HERJR (12/3/12 -- now Iris on the Forum) because of bucking and lack of throttle response, after that episode it ran just fine. Early this spring I had another episode of buck/fart/misfire. About 6 weeks ago Feejer started to regularly be unpleasant when hot, exhibiting misfiring at some cruising speeds. Starting a few weeks ago it would sometimes become intolerant of slight throttle openings at idle. The symptoms occurred when very hot, > 3bars and radiator fan cycling on/off.

After a bad ride I checked the diAG screen but there were no codes set. I checked the values of all the sensors including the TPS and found nothing wrong. I was concerned about the delay between the misfiring and when I checked the TPS. Next time I experienced misfiring I pulled over and immediately shut down and invoked the diAG screen. Every thing was within spec. After restarting bikie it ran well. Next time it happened I shut off the key while going ~35 mph and entered diAG and ran tests while coasting down and found nothing out of spec.

Wellhell, time to get serious. This past weekend I pulled off the filler ring assembly (procedure here) and found an amazing pile of road spooge that I cleaned out. I dissembled the ring and verified all vent passages were clear (1). I checked all hoses under the gas tank for pinching and obstruction. No problems found. A test ride quickly showed no cure. No surprise.

It becomes a bit more tricky to troubleshoot when everything passes the diAG test because those are the operating values that the ECU makes its calculations from. I did a bit of studying with the FSM and came up with a list of things to check.

Among the sensors, the TPS, atmospheric pressure sensor (here after APS) and intake manifold pressure sensor (IPS) were high on the suspect list. The pressure sensors include a integrated circuit (IC) that performs temperature compensation and linearization of signals. ICs don't tolerate heat well so they became suspects. Both atmosphere and intake sensors are the exact same part(!). I pulled them and verified that the sensor opening was not obstructed. DO NOT POKE ANYTHING IN THE SENSOR HOLE! DO NOT SQUIRT AN AEROSOL SPRAY IN THE HOLE! The active part of the sensor is very delicate. The APS operates over a very small range so it is unlikely to be a problem, the IPS has a wide dynamic range and it also bakes under the tank making it a likely suspect. Since the sensors are the same I swapped them to see if the problem was either cured or changed. A test ride quickly showed no change, no cure.

Next --- > I used my fuel pressure gauge and mity-vac to test the fuel pressure regulator. No problem. At least at room temperature. I put a Tee on the intake manifold vacuum line that controls the fuel pressure regulator, ran a vacuum line up to the dash and put on a vacuum gauge. Ride time. Upon misfire it was clear that the change in manifold vacuum was a consequence of the misfire and not a leading cause (2). This pretty much lets out the fuel injectors, fuel pump and pressure regulator. This is the first time that I started to really consider that the problem might be electrical ignition.

Next --- > Even though the TPS has worked in all previous testing I couldn't rule it out. At this point I had a faint recollection that the problem suddenly became worse after taking all the play out of the throttle cable. Hmmm... I pulled the connector, checked voltages, ohmed the unit at ambient temps and cleaned the filthy sensor. All normal. I back-probed the connector, ran wires up to the dash and Velcroed my cheapie DMM to the dash and went for a ride with Good Pillion™ installed (3). Three bars, fan cycled on, 35 mph BUCK, FART, MISFIRE. Whoa baby, did you see what the DMM showed?!?! Next glitch, DMM showed a major TPS drop-out. By this point I note that the drop-outs always occur between .775 and .778 volts. I could ride anyplace around that particular range and had no problems. Deliberate operation in that range caused TPS drop out and the beginnings of Pillion hammering on my helmet to stop doing that. Back in the driveway I checked my light throttle problem at idle and it was plain to see the TPS drop out. As soon as everything cooled a bit the TPS worked normally again.

911 -- Hello University Motors -- Gary please --

The TPS is held on by two screws, one screw hole is round and the other is slotted to allow TPS adjustment. Refer to the FSM for the procedure. The screws are vertically aligned -- one above the other. Issue 1, why did Yamaha have use security torques screws here? Issue 2, the lower screw access is mostly blocked by the frame. There is ~1/2 inch of space for the torques bit. It's looking like either the intake comes off or the engine comes out to access the screw. First I will try some tool fabrication, I think I can get the little bugger out. [edited 7/26: Both screw holes are oval, both screws have to be loose to adjust the TPS.]

(1) Should anyone consider dissembling the gas cap assembly farther, be aware that there are 4 small springs and a check ball that are fabricated with AllaKhazam's fourth dimensional vanishing capabilities. If you take out the three screws that hold the lock assembly in place take great care not to let AllaKhazam disappear your parts.

(2) Intake manifold pressure runs around 12 inches/Hg. At WOT it drops to ~2 inches. This test also made my FJR run different due to more vacuum volume and a bit of 'shock absorber' effect from the diaphragm of the vacuum gauge. My particular FJR has always taken 3-4 spins of the crank before it fired up. With the hose/gauge connected it fired instantly! Also, it had much smoother throttle response. I will spend some more time looking into this after everything else is sorted out. This shows some potential....

(3) It was gosh darn educational watching the TPS while riding. Idle was .620 volts. I tend to cruise at .770 to .790 volts almost all the time which is most likely why the TPS is worn out in that range. I discovered that I actually move the throttle quite a lot but the amount is so small that I don't notice my hand physically doing it. To avoid the death zone at .775 volts I rode in a higher gear than I normally would. I noticed that at 35 mph in a lower gear the TPS read .720 volts but at the same speed in a high gear the TPS read .850 to 1.100 volts. This means that the engine was over geared and it took much more throttle to maintain speed. Said another way, fuel economy sucks when doing that!

Last edited by a moderator:
Nice write up, would qualify in any shop as a diagnostic write. Extra time approved... :D I think the TPS on Frank is goin' weird on me at 22 thou. I have an extra, so I'm gonna slap it on this week and see.

I think the TPS on Frank is goin' weird on me at 22 thou
I forgot to mention that I have 24k on my FJR, issues started at ~20k last winter.
For those of us that don't have a donor part on hand, Gary says the part is $76.xx including 2 replacement screws. Should be in my mailbox in 1.5 weeks.

so I'm gonna slap it on this week and see
I can't wait to see a write-up on this job! I took one look at the bottom screw, stuck a torques bit in the general vicinity and said, "OH SHIT". It may be time for a bit of creativity.

I think the TPS on Frank is goin' weird on me at 22 thou
I forgot to mention that I have 24k on my FJR, issues started at ~20k last winter.
For those of us that don't have a donor part on hand, Gary says the part is $76.xx including 2 replacement screws. Should be in my mailbox in 1.5 weeks.

so I'm gonna slap it on this week and see
I can't wait to see a write-up on this job! I took one look at the bottom screw, stuck a torques bit in the general vicinity and said, "OH SHIT". It may be time for a bit of creativity.
My FJR is going in for the ticker fix right after WFO, so, I thought I'd do some preventive mtce and have a new TPS installed while things are apart.

Called my dealer for a price & was quoted $136.00. Called FJRGoodies and got $145.00! Are they looking at the wrong part here? I looked in the service manual and now I know what the TPS looks like and where it goes, but cannot find a part # :(

Appreciate any help here please -- I searched this site & FJRTech to no avail :( -- I know, I'm searchly challenged :huh:

Thank you guys.

You can lookup your part # on the fiche and then call 866-551-6478 toll free or email McCoy @ gmccoy at cableone dot net for a part quote.

TPS...part# 5PS-85885-00-00...$76.72 McCoy discount.

TPS...part# 5PS-85885-00-00...$76.72 McCoy discount.
Actually you want TPS P/N 5PS-85885-01-00 ...$76.72 McCoy discount.

There seems to be a revised part, note the 01 suffix. Gary McCoy threw in two replacement tamper proof (security) torx screws for the same ~$76. Gary indicated 1.5 weeks for delivery -- but -- it arrived in 5 days.

I installed my replacement TPS last Saturday, all is right again. More coming on the install when I have a little more time.

Fabone, I hope you are getting your FJR sorted out, by far you have the worst results from a bad TPS! :eek: :puke:

Good info here all.

Will be looking forward to your write-up ionbeam. I have 80k on my 04 FJR with no problems, but what I have learned from this thread (and others) is that it sounds like a damned good idea to have a spare TPS on hand.

Thanks guys :)

Is this site great - or what? :D

Just ordered from Gary & got the discount price - PLUS !! -- got some valuable info on the correct part # for the valve stem seals that my dealer has to order for the tick repair.

Gary McCoy - you da man :)

In another thread tjgraves wrote:

SOLVED!!!! NEW Throttle Position Sensor installed.... ouch... over $500, New TPS - $138, check this check that... $90 per hour shop rate. Worth it ??
Oh man, you couldn't get enough lube to make that feel good. I'm glad tjgraves got his motorcycle fixed. I hope he won't let them rape him like that again.

FWIW, it took me a casual 45 minutes and ~$77 to replace and adjust my TPS. For someone without a complete tool kit the required T25 tamper resistant (security) Torx bit is ~$8, a full quality set of Torxs can be had for <$60. An Excelite Offset Ratcheting wrench for the Torx bit is ~$20. Tools + parts should be under $110 and your time is free, of course ;)

Fabone, I hope you are getting your FJR sorted out, by far you have the worst results from a bad TPS!
Sorted out.....well...still not 100% sure! It seems to be running OK for now, but I've not had it out on the road since my last incident. Spent 3 days off and on under the hood testing/checking codes and still could not find the culprit causing the problem. The only thing I found was the Throttle angle was off 5 points fully closed.

It acted as if it was loading up and died. Instantly quick like, just like you hit the kill switch. I still have a difficult time believing the throttle angle was causing the problem, since it was running fine before. All I can say is, that this can put someone in a dangerous position faster than you can blink. Not good!

SOLVED!!!! NEW Throttle Position Sensor installed.... ouch... over $500, New TPS - $138, check this check that... $90 per hour shop rate. Worth it ??
The TPS would be replaced (free) under warranty assuming you're covered.

In my case, the engine died the second time a 1/3 of the way into a slow turn-around with the bike leaned, leaving me dead in the water. Lets see....there's T-cover, stator cover, mirror, case lid, turn signal light and a trashed MOKO. The cost of a screwy out of adjustment TPS..........($500)....PRICELESS!

After going thru 2 TPS within 6k, I'd threatened to sell the bike. Only to replace the FJR with what? Hopefully everything now is good to go. The wife reminds me, that now I have a good reason for that custom paint job, I've always wanted. I now have another winter project. :construction:

As an aside, I must say I'm really disappointed in the MOKO protection factor. Placement is to high and too short. I'll be doing something different in this area for sure.

Fabone, you seem to be an adept fellow, I would really suggest that you connect a DMM to your TPS and go for a ride to confirm that you are really seeing the TPS drop out. If you do see it drop out you need to confirm that it is actually the TPS signal and not a problem with the +5 volts & ground that power the device. When I did that with my bike it was quite clear that I found the root cause of my problem. Do you know if your current TPS is a 5PS-85885-00-00 or a 5PS-85885-01-00?

I have autopsied my TPS (details to come) and don't see why/how you could have two bad TPS in such a short time. Stuff happens though. FWIW, my TPS simply wore out 'cuse Mikuni had poor material selection for the task a.k.a. bad engineering.