Morning Ride Foiled - Bike Won't Start

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nels Erickson

Reaction score
So, I was planning on riding into work today, as part of my last hurrah before the onset of winter. Only to be foiled by the very first time my bike has ever not started.

I have a 2005 FJR, and had gone for a ~30 min ride maybe 2-3 weeks ago. I had the "tick" fixed earlier this summer, before a 2600 mile ride, and the bike has run like a champ up until this morning.

It was a bit cold out (~45 degrees) and it initially caught, ran like complete crap for about 3-5 seconds then died. After that I couldn't even get it to catch again. Unfortunately I had to stop my attempts to get to work, so I'll be trying it again tonight.

My initial thoughts is some kind of fuel issue, possibly bad gas or crap in the tank that's fouled an injector or two, but wanted to toss it out here for any other ideas or things to check.

Thanks in advance.

Nels

Since it started for a few seconds, I don't think this is the issue but try holding the throttle wide open while thumbing the starter to see if it will fire again. This could take a few attempts. That's the common solution to the "it-won't-start-after-I-just-washed-it" problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Probably bad gas. The problem is, most of us who have had a no-start issue that is solved by cranking with the throttle wide open had that happen after running for a short time and shutting down before the warm-up cycle completed. So, you may now have both problems.

While you are looking at the fuel problem, put the battery on charge so it will be at full strength when you need it.

The '05 has a return line from the fuel rail, so you can turn the key on, let the pump run, then turn it back off. Do that a couple of times and it will flush the old fuel out of the rain into the tank. If it's only a small amount of condensation that settled to the bottom while sitting this might clear it.

I've had rough idling on warm up cycles followed by failure to start. It was due to low compression due to carbon in the head. If you still have the problem, I suggest you check the compression. Should be about 180lbs- with all plugs out and throttle wide open, and unplug the fuel pump.

+3 on what geezer said. I have had long layoffs...typically during the summer between my spring and fall out-of-state rides. The combination of older gas plus weak battery sometimes causes the FJR not to start. If cranking with WOT does not work. Charge the battery and repeat. Has worked for me in the past...and I have posted about it in the past so I have been in the same boat as you.

You can jump it from the car too. No harm, and a much bigger reserve on the large car battery. Both systems are 12 volt, you can't damage the bike. It will only draw what it can use.

Worst case, if you live on a nice long hill, bump start it in 2nd. Just remember to have the kill switch in the run position and the key on, etc. then get a little speed going and drop the clutch in 2nd and it will chug along a little and eventually fire up.

You might also want to pull the plugs and clean them. Multiple re-start attempts often foul the plugs, and/or flood the engine.

Since it started for a few seconds, I don't think this is the issue but try holding the throttle wide open while thumbing the starter to see if it will fire again. This could take a few attempts. That's the common solution to the "it-won't-start-after-I-just-washed-it" problem.
I'm with Murph on this one. I estimate I've driven around 2 million miles on all my vehicles as a traveling sales rep in my life (so far) and I've NEVER had a bad tank of gas. Always bought the cheapest crap I could find, too.

I did have the "wouldn't start one Saturday morning" tho, and Murph's solution got it running, never to fail me again. This is a fairly common problem and solution on Gen 1 FJR's.

Always let the engine warm up to 2 bars before shutting it off and you shouldn't have this problem again.

Mine did that yesterday morning also but I think I just need a new battery. It had enough juice to turn it over (slowly and weakly) but not enough to get it running.

It was bad enough that I had to take the truck, but then I was late because I had to change out of my moto suit and scrape the ice off the truck :angry2:

Necro-post.

Sorry for the long time for a reply on this. Let's just say that last fall and the winter got stupid hectic.

I actually never got a chance to really dig into what happened until this spring.

I started by trying to check the fuel system to make sure gas was getting into the cylinders. I disconnected the fuel line and verified that the pump was pushing fuel. Sadly I did this by stupidity/accident as I had it disconnected and then went to try and get something out of the glove compartment on the bike. So turned on the ignition to release the lock. :rolleyes: After that, I blew some compressed air into the fuel rail to hopefully blow out anything that might be stuck. Tried to start it after that and still no go.

I then proceeded to remove the plugs. Each of them was pretty black, with fresh liquid on them which appeared to be the fuel. So I bought a new set of plugs and installed them. I had to hold the throttle full open to get it started, but it did start. It ran a little rough for a bit until it warmed up some, but ran smoothly after that. Took it out for a 25 mile run just to check things out and it performed normally.

So verdict is probably a combination of bad gas/fouled plugs.

I was quite relieved as the bike is out of warranty now, and the last thing I need with the wife unemployed is a repair bill.

Thanks for all the tips and comments.

Nels

Latest posts