Motion Pro Economy

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I too played with mercury as a kid and it did me no harm but that isn't you. I figure you should do what ever you need to make you feel safe.

We all know mercury can be dangerous, more so to some and less so to others.

Smoking: People have died of cancer in thier 20's and others have lived past 110!

Asbestos: People have died of cancer in thier 20's and others have lived past 110!

Lead: Has affected some and not others.

Lightning: People have been killed by it and others have been hit more than once and lived!

The list goes on and on and doctors don't have a clue why.

I have sucked mercury through motors as a mechanic and spilled carb sticks before. I would have cleaned it up myself but I also have no problem with others being nervous about it.

After much thinking and pocket digging, I ordered the Morgan today. I too am getting the air pocket problem with the ol Motion Pro, and I know when to admit I'm licked, should see it in a week, and I look forward to an absolutely trustworthy reading when doing the synch thing. The 'ol ladys gonna kill me tho, been nice knowing y'all. TDub gets the Morgan, the Penthouse collection, and the clean underwear. Trinibob gets Frank, the rest of ya's can fight over the rest. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Accuracy as far as scale is and has been irrelevant, as it is balance, ie comparitive readings that it has been used for, like a compression gauge used to compare cylinders, the actual numbers aren't important, so scale accuracy has not been a priority.
First of all, I never used a Motion Pro, so I can't comment on its accuracy. I do want to clarify that the scale is important. The scale needs to be fine enough to allow you to properly see imbalance. I had one set of gauges that had a very coarse scale reading. The TB's looked balanced on them, but the Morgan, which has a finer scale, revealed that they really weren't balanced, and the results obseved on the Morgan were backed up by the way the bike ran. Finer scale = easier to see and achieve accurate balance.

It was also helpful to me to use the correct idle speed and air screw adjustment on cylinder #3, so that the initial number achieved for the baseline setting on #3 was correct. I agree that this does not affect overall balance, but having the correct baseline on #3 made it easier to get the other TB's adjusted without bottoming out adjustments, etc.

FWIW

But you are comparing columns-the background could be blank for this purpose. Different if you are trying to adjust to a baseline number, but not for balance between cylinders IMHO. #3 is the standard by which others are set-thats why I begin by setting all the idle screws to 1/2 turn out, then set 3 to as close to 240 as possible. Every individual adjustment affects all it seems, so it's a juggling act for sure.

There used to be track coaches in college who would pass around a jar of Mercury for the runners to handle prior to a race. Apparently the Mercury would be absorbed through their skin and would trigger a dramatic increase in their adrenaline levels(an early form of doping).

Apparently this common practice caused one or two young kids to die of heart failure in the middle of a race and the practice was soon abandoned. An old science teacher of mine told me about those incidents.

I purchased a Motion Pro as well, however, once I sucked some Mercury into the engine, :bigeyes: I decided to also go the electronic Carb Mate route. Pricey, but safer and fairly easy to use. Besides, it certainly looks cooler than a Mercury stick! :D

Putting it in the trash is  the recommended way of disposing small amounts of it.  It aint plutonium ya know :D   It is a naturally occuring element, dangerous only when inhaled (vacumn BAD ).  They had some kids here in Rosemount, found a jar of it on a closed industrial site and played with it, brought it home, passed it all around etc.  You'da thunk it was U-235 the way the politicos reacted.  The kids are fine, the trailer park this happened in is all cleany (for the first time in years, took hazmat to do what parents couldn't, apparently) and all will live happily ever after.  Cost to taxpayers?  In excess of $250,000.
Elemental and methylated mercury can be absorbed through the skin. With elemental and inorganic mercury, about 95% passes through your system and only about 5% is retained. In a growing child, much more is retained in the body. Methyl mercury is 98% retained in the body!

About 2 years ago, a researcher in a New England university was using methyl mercury and wore latex gloves. The methyl mercury passed right through the latex and on to her skin. She became very ill from it and and died 9 months later. Microbes in the environment will convert elemental and inorganic mercury into methyl mercury, the nasty stuff, pretty quickly.

As radman suggests, Inhalation is a very dangerous (but not the only) route into the body. In some of the Brazilian gold mining villages I worked some years ago, the local gold panners would almalgamate the gold with mercury, then flame the mercury off with a torch. The kids would stand around and breathe it in. Everyone in the village was measured as having toxic levels of mercury in their blood. One out of ten babies were born anencephalic - they had no top of the skull and no cognitive portion of the brain, just a brain stem. Most were still born, but a few would live off their brain stem for up to 4 days. That's one out of ten. About 50% of the live births had severe malformations.

I've never seen anything like it and hope I never will again.

Ron

In an age where Geeks are the new high priests I absolutely love being a member of a group devoted to such great information transfer whilst grinning from the pew of the mighty...nee..ALMIGHTY ST. FJR !!!! May we Neomaxizoomed Dweebies long rule !!! I must leave now...swarthiness intact...swagger evident...I type too slow and have pissed my pants.....again !!!

Seriously great info Dudes and Dudettes !!!

Bobby

But you are comparing columns-the background could be blank for this purpose.
You are correct sir!! For the purpose of balancing I could care less about the graduations. What IS important is how much change in vacuum is measured over how much distance. If 1 inch of vacuum is measured over a height of .1 inch(1/10 scale), you would have a tough time being able to see and correct imbalances less than .500" or so. But if that same 1" change in vacuum occurs over .500" on the scale(1/2 scale), it is then much easier to fine tune the balance and get it as close as possible.

#3 is the standard by which others are set-thats why I begin by setting all the idle screws to 1/2 turn out, then set 3 to as close to 240 as possible.
The baseline setting in the service manual is 250mm, and to this 25mm should be added for every 1000 feet you are above sea level. In Mpls you're at about 850 ASL, so your optimum baseline would be about 250+(25 x .85), or 250+21.25=271.25, and you can round that to 270 since that is probably as close as you will be able to measure. Reducing idle speed to 1000 rpm made it easy for me to achieve this number (in WI I'm about the same amount ASL as you are). My bike came from Yamaha set to idle at 1100 or so, but it idles perfectly at 1000 now that the TB synch is done right. Anyway, I'm no expert at this, I read the other TB synch thread on this forum and found all sorts of helpful info, particularly Skyway's very detailed post (credit where it is due). It took a little time to study, but I came away with a much better understanding of what I needed to do and how each adjustment affected the bike. It was well worth the time, IMO. Anyone looking to perform the Unauthorized TB synch should read that thread, even if they already know what they're doing.

Putting it in the trash is  the recommended way of disposing small amounts of it.  It aint plutonium ya know :D    It is a naturally occuring element, dangerous only when inhaled (vacumn BAD ).  They had some kids here in Rosemount, found a jar of it on a closed industrial site and played with it, brought it home, passed it all around etc.  You'da thunk it was U-235 the way the politicos reacted.  The kids are fine, the trailer park this happened in is all cleany (for the first time in years, took hazmat to do what parents couldn't, apparently) and all will live happily ever after.  Cost to taxpayers?  In excess of $250,000.
Elemental and methylated mercury can be absorbed through the skin. With elemental and inorganic mercury, about 95% passes through your system and only about 5% is retained. In a growing child, much more is retained in the body. Methyl mercury is 98% retained in the body!

About 2 years ago, a researcher in a New England university was using methyl mercury and wore latex gloves. The methyl mercury passed right through the latex and on to her skin. She became very ill from it and and died 9 months later. Microbes in the environment will convert elemental and inorganic mercury into methyl mercury, the nasty stuff, pretty quickly.

As radman suggests, Inhalation is a very dangerous (but not the only) route into the body. In some of the Brazilian gold mining villages I worked some years ago, the local gold panners would almalgamate the gold with mercury, then flame the mercury off with a torch. The kids would stand around and breathe it in. Everyone in the village was measured as having toxic levels of mercury in their blood. One out of ten babies were born anencephalic - they had no top of the skull and no cognitive portion of the brain, just a brain stem. Most were still born, but a few would live off their brain stem for up to 4 days. That's one out of ten. About 50% of the live births had severe malformations.

I've never seen anything like it and hope I never will again.

Ron
Doom and Gloom I love it.

The fire on the mercury is the big key here that made the mercury extremely dangerous. So taking this into my situation where I really didn't do anything with the mercury that turned it to vapor the situation is a little different.

One question for everyone. What if someone took one of the tubes and blew into the mercury. Would that be enough to cause it to become a vapor?

Rad before mercury balancing gauge useage-

handsome04.jpg

Rad after use-

i_who2.jpg

Please help me to prevent this from happening to you or those you love-the children!

Send $50 to-

Keep 'em from lookin' like Rad

PO Box 119

Abuja, Nigeria

Last edited by a moderator:
With my luck, the mercury "incident" could have been me. I bought the Morgan and it's a great tool. Very accurate, got the readings dead on my first attempt.