MotoGP - LeMans

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

biknflyfisher

Reaction score
Any thoughts out there about Marco Simoncelli's pass on Dani Pedrosa?? The way Pedrosa got up with his arm dangling it sure screamed broken collar bone to me (although I'm sure by now med reports are out there on the net as to his actual condition).

I know Simoncelli was under some heat for a "questionable" pass on our Yamaha guy Lorenzo in a prior race.

Better luck to the Mama Yamma riders next race.

biknflyfisher

I say the pass was good and Sic got screwed. Dani did pull ahead on the straight but the late braking by Marco had him in front at the turn in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ped has a # clavicle. But should be back racing next race. Sic a little hard done by but Ped stood the bike up in the turn, Sic has a bit of a rep to be a bit actually quite a lot dangerous so they have had to do something to pull his horns in a bit. I felt for the poor bugger though.

Gee, I recall a few years ago with Dani boy doing an inside pass in Hayden with no room left and his crash taking them both out. Seems to me it was a racing incident with Simo. Dani needs to man up and take his lumps. I am sure had he been on the other bike he would have seen it differently.

I think Simo is a threat to Dani boy on the "satelite" honda team and that doesn't sit well with Sito Pons which means he is pressuring Honda to deal with Simo. Someday they will have had enough of Pons and Dani boy and dump them both. I don't think Dani boy will ever be able to close the deal and win the title - doesn't have the mental strength to do it. Just my 2 cents for what it is worth.

I think it was a dick move for the most important reason of all...it cost me points in my fantasy motogp league!!!

I remember the Dani/Nicky move, 06 I think, when Nicky was chasing the championship. Nicky got him back a few races later and punted him into the dirt. I also recall a few years ago when it was Lorenzo being blazed for being "dangerous" on the track.

Simo is a bit reckless. Dani just happened to be in the way. Based on the tears in his eyes, perhaps Simo is learning being fastest isn't enough to be a great racer at this level; you also have to think.

I didn't like the pass... I think Dani had the racing line for the most part, and Simo was exceptionally late on his move.

Hell, Simo went off track, too, but didn't suffer a busted up shoulder.

That said... I like Simo; he is not only blazing fast, anyone who wears hair like this is gotta be cool! :lol: Here is Simo telling Lorenzo to fuck off and die at the end of the Estoril race:

simo.jpg

I didn't like the pass... I think Dani had the racing line for the most part, and Simo was exceptionally late on his move.

That said... I like Simo; he is not only blazing fast, anyone who wears hair like this is gotta be cool! :lol: Here is Simo telling Lorenzo to fuck off and die at the end of the Estoril race:
I'm with you. It looked to me like Simo blew the corner, flying way past the braking point. As he rounds that corner, he's not even in the same time zone as the apex. I think the only reason he came out of the corner ahead of the Evil Midget was that he was out of control. It looked to me like his line already had him sailing off the track (which he did) and he managed to collect Pedrobot in the middle of what was just an unfinished crash on his part.

Simo is claiming his telemetry showed he braked at the same point he did on previous laps. If that's true, I'm wrong. But it does not look that way when you view the pass.

Pedrosa has always struck me as a whiner, but he can sure turn on "the juice" when he feels like it. Just not much consistency in his style and/or mentality it seems.

Simo's hair - well that's a topic in and of itself. Saw a lot of that my senior year in HS in 1977 (ah, the days of disco).

biknflyfisher

Pedrosa has always struck me as a whiner, but he can sure turn on "the juice" when he feels like it.
Very true... there is no doubt that Pedrobot is an awesome racer, even if he has the personality of a house plant.

Simo's hair - well that's a topic in and of itself. Saw a lot of that my senior year in HS in 1977 (ah, the days of disco).
BWAH! Threadjack follows: I had that same afro-hair as Simo in the late '70's myself.... see? :lol:

20_years_old.jpg

simo.jpg
here is another opinion from Kevin Schwantz in a column he does for Superbikeplanet.com

Kevin describes better what I saw of the incident which was Simo was leading at the point Dani ran into him. At that point Dani was trying to overtake Simo, which means it is his responsibility to make the pass without incident. It is the same incident that Dani did to Nicky Hayden that almost cost him the championship.

Schwantz on the LeMans GP

As Simo says, becasue Lorenzo is bellyachin' about everything this year, ther isn't anything Simo is going to be able to say to defend himself becasue he doesn't have a world title yet.

I like to watch Simo race becasue he is unconventional and fast. Kind of in a Gary McCoy way. And man has he got hair! :lol: He is definitely livening up the MotoGP this year.

Pedrosa has had everything handed to him, whined when he didn't get what he wanted, ran off teammates that were a threat to him being #1 on the team and yet he still has not delivered a title on MotoGP. Honda should punt the guy and give someone more deserving a chance.

Well they kind of did, they brought Stoner... :yahoo:

It's the responsibility of the overtaking rider to COMPLETE the pass cleanly which brillo-head did not. I'm not a fan of the little squirt, but, Pedro was definitely in the wrong.

Pedrosa has always struck me as a whiner, but he can sure turn on "the juice" when he feels like it.
Very true... there is no doubt that Pedrobot is an awesome racer, even if he has the personality of a house plant.

BWAH! Threadjack follows: I had that same afro-hair as Simo in the late '70's myself.... see? :lol:

20_years_old.jpg
Well, Mr. Chick Magnet, did you get the name and phone number of the gal in the bright blue swim suit directly behind you??

20_years_old.jpg

Well, Mr. Chick Magnet, did you get the name and phone number of the gal in the bright blue swim suit directly behind you??
Hell, I wouldn't know.... this photo was taken circa '78 timeframe; I can't even remember what I had for breakfast, much less what happened 33 years ago..... :lol:

I didn't watch it till yesterday, being a bit behind on the DVR. (Work sucks.)

What I first saw was Simo turning down on what might have been his regular line, but it was occupied, and I'm thinking, "If someone's there, you can't turn. You can't put yourself in somebody's way and then claim they hit you."

What my brother pointed out was that the certain Honda rider was in a "No you don't, bitch" mode and out-braked himself, sat up to keep from crashing. . . . and then crashed. As late as Pedro entered the turn, he'd never have made it. In car racing, we call what he did "fender brakes," but that doesn't work in bikes.

Simoncelli claims his telemetry shows he was on his normal braking, and it looked that way to me. Something people seem to be forgetting is that Pedro *sucks* at braking. IMO braking is the only reason he doesn't win every race, given his 40 lb. weight advantage.