Motorcycle Camping - Where to Start? Try Here!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Girl Guides tip: For a fire starter, Dryer lint! Collect enough for your expected time away and keep in a zip lock bag. Compress's very well. Try a test before you leave. Works very well!
Dryer lint works great! I've used cotton balls with Vaseline in them which is also great but never Vaseline with dryer lint. Should work though.

Pack the dryer lint into either a toilet paper tube or paper towel tube for transport and use.

Received the DryPak bag today and it is NICE - NICE - NICE!!!!

Everything fits and I think it will work very well. Looking forward to trying it out next weekend!

Thanks to Ross and the others for the recommendation!!!

You got the large rather than the XL? My only problem with the XL is that it tends to block the rear view too much. Unfortunately, camping season is done here at least until May.

Received the DryPak bag today and it is NICE - NICE - NICE!!!!
Everything fits and I think it will work very well. Looking forward to trying it out next weekend!

Thanks to Ross and the others for the recommendation!!!
Glad to hear and yes, thanks Ross also. Was looking for something like this and ordered one a couple of days ago. For $30, hard to beat.

Last edited by a moderator:
Following up on the Dry-Pak X-Large bag. The bag packs very well but I ran into 2 problems:

1. When I place the bag "bottom down" on the pillion seat, the rigid bottom takes up more space than my old bag did, forcing me forward on the rider's seat. I fixed this by rotating the bag 90 degrees with the bottom of the bag toward the back against my top box.

2. The width (30") of this bag makes it very difficult to see what's behind me in the mirrors. I fixed this by shifting the bag about 3/4" to the left. This makes the view on the right mirror very good, but the left mirror is completely useless. Shifting the bag allows me now to have access to my right saddle bag, where I store riding gear and things I am most likely to need on the road.

Because of #2, I'm going to go ahead and order the Large bag and see if I can stuff all of my camping gear into it. I will keep the X-Large for when wifey and I go camping in the truck.

I warned you about the loss of rear view visibility and possible crowding your personal space with the Xtra large bag! I thought you were getting the large?

Very well put together for the price.

Ross - you most certainly warned me, but I didn't listen. My fear is that I won't be able to get everything into the Large, but we will just have to see.

I agree - this is a good bag, especially for the price.

Turns out the 24" bag is plenty big enough and fits much better on the bike. NO issue with the mirrors. I'm in tall cotton now!

Pack the dryer lint into either a toilet paper tube or paper towel tube for transport and use.
Adding my $.02 to this...

We heat with a wood stove in the winter. Throughout the year, we collect our toilet paper rolls and dryer lint. We cut the rolls in half, stuff them with lint, and then pour melted candle wax over top, which extends burn time. Works great as a fire starter, and if carried for camping, will keep your stuff smelling like sugar cookies or christmas trees...

Turns out the 24" bag is plenty big enough and fits much better on the bike. NO issue with the mirrors. I'm in tall cotton now!
I can assure you it will last too. It doesn't go out except for extended trips. I have been using mine since 2011 on long trips. Here is an image from 8/2011, 2013, and it's still going strong today.

ReturnTrip020_1024x680.jpg

and again in 2013

dragon12.jpg

I ordered a Marmot tent today and it should be hear in a couple of days. Room for 4 (which means three) because I plan on taking the wife along also. I was looking at sleeping bags next. Now I want to buy one for her and I. The thing is I want ones that will zip together to sleep two peeps. You know how those cold nights can be. I had a hard time finding ones that will do that. Am I missing something? From what I read you need a left and a right zipped to pair them. Most bags are one or the other.

https://www.backcountry.com/marmot-tungsten-4p-tent-4-person-3-season?cmp_id=EM_bcs_DDM64_M1

Dave

I got an awesome sleep system for 2 from feathered friends out of Seattle. One down bag, I got the 20 degree, zips onto a bottom sheet that has 2 pockets for the sleeping pads ( I got 2 big agnes insulated air core ) I have used it backpacking several times in fairly cold weather with great results. Not the cheapest system but is definitely quality and packs nicely and fairly lightweight. I've done lots of ultralight backpacking and only a little mc camping but plan to do a lot more. Looking forward to more trips combining two of my favorite things, riding and hiking.

When you get into the backpacking bags yes they can get very pricy. I am not concerned with the weight or pack size so I can use the lower price versions. I have a trailer I plan to use so I have the room for a larger bag size and weight.

Edit: Well with some more surching I found out the bags are called Adam & Eve sleeping bags. Cabelas has them online. Good2go now.

Thanks,

Dave

Update June 29, 2016

Treated myself to some new camping gear:

1. new Tent: Marmot Limelight 2P - this one has much more head room than my previous tent. Comes with 2 doors on the wider dimension - should have much better access. I really like the Marmot product - the waterproofing is very good and this tent comes with a footprint. The rain fly vestibule seems much more spacious.

https://marmot.com/products/details/limelight-2p?utm_expid=1002275-6.Hbt6eBQwRHOSW1HmvRMouA.0&utm_referrer=https://marmot.com/products/equipment/tents/2-person-tents

2. new Sleeping Bag: I treated myself to a down sleeping bag. This one is incredible - it packs down to NOTHING, weighs NOTHING. Got the zipper on the right side and it will fit my long lanky self.

https://www.rei.com/product/896029/kelty-cosmic-down-20-sleeping-bag-mens

3. New Pillow: Bought an inflatable pillow - again, this baby packs down to 1/2 the size of a coke can. More comfy than my old pillow too.

https://www.rei.com/product/866772/sea-to-summit-aeros-ultralight-pillow

Looking forward to trying it out in the Fall.