Motorcycle Camping - Where to Start? Try Here!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Large Ortlieb bag, holds my 2 man tent, sleeping bag, Thermarest cot, jet boil stove, rubber malate, and flashlight. Straps onto the back seat using Rok straps.

Last edited by a moderator:
Pants,

I have a Wolfman bag and I love the features it has. It is not the Dry bag version, but I know they have a line that is. If I was in the market for one, this would be the first place I would look. They are pricey and that could exclude you, given your frugalness.

The zippers are great, the pockets are perfect, it expands intelligently, appears very durable, and has a built in strap down features that can cinch down gear from either inside or outside.

Good luck pal!

El-toro Joe - is this the bag you have?https://www.bikebagshop.com/ortlieb-rack-pack-large-p-1038.html]https://www.bikebagshop.com/ortlieb-rack-pack-large-p-1038.html[/url]

Is the bottom molded (i.e. - flat and holds its shape)?
Nothing structurally to hold it's shape. The bag is very sturdy, and I have never had anything inside get wet. Great bag, and that is the same place I got mine...best price I could find, when I bought mine, several years ago. You might also want to consider the XL, depending how much stuff you'd like to pack.

For a very spacious dry bag that won't break the bank, I have had pretty good luck with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/DP-D1BL-Waterproof-Duffel-Blue-Large/dp/B002PKJ1PS/ref=sr_1_194?ie=UTF8&qid=1448197510&sr=8-194-spons&keywords=waterproof+duffel+bag&psc=1

41%2Bbd6yJ7PL.jpg
The extra large is 110 litres and will fit across the pillion seat without touching the painted part of the case lids (just barely). It actually makes a decent backrest but does limit the rider's room a little. If you don't need the space, the smaller (large) size might be better. I've had mine for a couple of years. Secure it to the bike with ROK straps.

Ross

Thanks for posting this. I saw this one and gave it a second look. If I understand the specifications, the bottom is flat and reinforced to hold its shape and keep the sticks and crap from puncturing tha bag?

RossThanks for posting this. I saw this one and gave it a second look. If I understand the specifications, the bottom is flat and reinforced to hold its shape and keep the sticks and crap from puncturing tha bag?
I can assure you that even without a flat reinforced bottom, that nothing is going to puncture the Ortlieb bags. But buy what you like. I know that I wouldn't buy anything but an Ortlieb bag, if I was ever in the market.

Ross
Thanks for posting this. I saw this one and gave it a second look. If I understand the specifications, the bottom is flat and reinforced to hold its shape and keep the sticks and crap from puncturing tha bag?
Bag bottom is flat and somewhat reinforced. Wouldn't puncture easily. It compares well with the Cabela dry duffel bags at less than half the price. Probably not up to Ortleib standards but the price isn't either. This one is very waterproof - just remember to place it on the bike with the roll-top rolled toward the back of the bike. I have probably done 25 camping nights over two seasons with the extra large bag and it is still in excellent shape. More space than I really need but I didn't think that the large would be enough for tent, cheap (large) sleeping bag, Thermarest cot, mattress pad, cooking stuff etc., etc. As I mentioned, you might feel a bit crowded with the extra large size on the pillion seat stuffed with gear. I'm not a small person and I had no problems riding 10,000 miles with it this year. One cautionary note: While the extra large does not (quite) touch the painted part of the side cases, it pretty effectively blocks what you can see in the mirrors; at least immediately behind you.

Time to chime in. Two thoughts: from experience of course.

1. When sleeping on the ground. Thermarest or Ensulate, etc. dig a small HIPHOLE. IOW figure out where your hip is going to be before you erect that tent. Dig a small indentation in the ground for your hip to reside and test it once or twice. Now, lay out your tent to accomadate said hip hole. You side sleepers will thank me for this. BTW. for most of us, the hiphole only needs to be a few inches deep. Don't go crazy and dig a foxhole.

2. For your campstove windscreen. I use an old pair of denims and a few tent stakes. Cut the denims to be about 4-6 inches high and about 12-18 inches long. Now sew the ends over each other to allow insertion of a tent stake. Using 4 tent stakes, 1 at each end and two placed wisely in the center, you have a perfect windscreen for your stove. After cooking and while eating, the windscreen doubles as a napkin and after the meal, you can use the tentstakes to anchor your rainfly.

Don't you just love two fers?

I like the idea of using the jeans for a windbreak, but don't carry an extra pair. Just take off the ones you have on till the meal's all cooked. Yer welcome.

Also like the bag Ross Kean posted. Like it so much, I linked to it in post no. 6. :lol:

Ross - thanks for your detailed reply. Real glad to hear the dry-pak compares to the cabelos bag as it has the features I'm looking for. I'm thinking about trying the smaller one. I know that bigger one would allow me to carry more crap, but I really want to be able to get into my saddle bag (particularly the right one) without unstrapping the camping bag. I just hope I can get all my stuff in the smaller one.

Mike - have you had similar performance and longevity with your Dry-Pak that Ross has? As Cav points out, I am "frugal". I don't mind spending money on the more expensive bag, but if the less expensive one will cut the mustard, why not?

Boker - Down here in the deep south - it rains a lot. Unexpectedly, often. If we dig out a "hip hole", and it rains during the night even moderately, in the morning, we are going to have a bigger problem than sore hips. Now OTOH - during my recent trip to Utah/Colorado, that ground was rock hard because, well.... I was sleeping on rocks!!!! That tip might be more helpful there. Thanks again.

Not sure if you remember my setup from our trip but I've been very happy with my Dryspec D66 set.

The larger bag is roll top and has a hard bottom and sides to keep its shape when not full. That can be removed if desired. The liner is white which really helps when digging around in low light.

The smaller bag rolls open at both ends which makes for very easy access to things like rain gear, walking shoes, etc. without undoing your straps I kept rain gear on one side and "early need" camping gear on the other. U normally keeps hammock, tarp and some sandals opposite the rain suit.

It's very waterproof and comes with excellent straps plus multiple tie-down points for lashing extra gear to it, like my insulated camelback. Not cheap but quality rarely is.

Mike - have you had similar performance and longevity with your Dry-Pak that Ross has? As Cav points out, I am "frugal". I don't mind spending money on the more expensive bag, but if the less expensive one will cut the mustard, why not?
I don't think you can beat it, Pants, especially at that price. Super tough and absolutely waterproof. Makes a great backrest, too, with the firm bottom. However full you pack it you can roll it up and tighten it down so it's just big enough--two straps go over and there are two more on the ends to draw it in. Check my link and click on other colors so see them. It's held up for about 4 years and lots of camping so far.

@RJAMT--If that's your dog, lucky you. He's a beauty. Boxers are the best dogs going, IMHO.

Nice, I missed this the first go round. Not sure how you can afford camping stuff what with your earlier comments about being broke if you got a 14...and now your on your second 14.
biggrin.png

I have a coleman pump I use for my air mattress. Runs off four D cell batteries and fills up the mattress fast. Also doubles as a fire stoaker. Seriously, the fire sounds like a blacksmith's when I have it cranked up. You can hear the fire howl.

My goal for my Colorado trip (non-camping) was to fit all my stuff in my side bags and top box. That didn't happen. I ended up stuck at the last minute the night before and ran to Wal-Mart and grabbed one of their El-Cheapo dry bags. On inspection it matched up with some much more expensive dry bags I've seen at the camping stores, but for about 1/3 or less the price. It held my stuff dry through a couple of rain storms on the trip and doesn't look any worse for the wear. Granted, I'd like a better bag like those duffels, but for the time crunch and the price it couldn't be beat. Depending on how frugal (coughCheapcough) you are, it could do the job.

Also, for inflating air mattresses, I've been curious to try one of these out.

@RJAMT--If that's your dog, lucky you. He's a beauty. Boxers are the best dogs going, IMHO.

That was Dillon. He's the one that died at 10 yrs old during my recent trip out west with pants and redfish. He wasn't my first Boxer. They have all been wonderful.

I half-joking say he'd hold the door while a burglar carries out the tv but touch the wife or kids and you're losing that hand!

Girl Guides tip: For a fire starter, Dryer lint! Collect enough for your expected time away and keep in a zip lock bag. Compress's very well. Try a test before you leave. Works very well!