Motorcycle Camping - Where to Start? Try Here!

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pants, I found this article quite helpful for quality but less pricey gear:

https://www.advpulse.com/adv-products/8-motorcycle-camping-gear-essentials-for-under-300/

The article lists a tent, sleeping bag, pad, cookset, stove, knife, bag, and headlamp which costs $300 in total. The stuff looks pretty good (except I'm skeptical about the stove - I'd splurge myself). But that's not a lot of dough to get nearly everything you need, save for a good camp pillow.

Rushes, I found this wind blocker which folds up and is a mere $7 on Amazon.

41eKxBNNMgL.jpg

41ghKNehVWL.jpg

A tip I have used in the past when caught out without a waterproof bag... Packing your gear in a garbage bag prior to putting it in the compression or storage bag will keep things dry. Don't forget to unpack the gear when you get home as the garbage bags do a great job of keeping moisture in as well... just sayin.

If I need a wind blocker bad enough, I use whatever comes to hand. A side case liner bag does the job for me. Or a couple logs. (Pants, you think you're frugal?)
laugh.png

I'm sure some of you pack a saw or an axe. I just use my sheath knife and it does the job. I tried to find an image of this technique, and there are lots of them on the web, but they all gave me that annoying-as-hell message "You are not allowed to use that image extension on this community." What the hell's that about? But anyway,

a good quick video of the process. Couldn't be easier, takes up no extra space (you'd have a knife anyway, right?). I never knew it had a name before either: "batoning."

Last edited by a moderator:
Hudson - that article is an excellent source of information. I hope the link stays current indefinitely as a reference for this thread.

S/M - I'll try that "Baton" method next time out just to know I have an option. Truth be told, I just recently bought my saw after seeing a buddy with one. I used to just use my feet, a couple of trees very close together, and anything else I could find as leverage to break/snap the sticks of firewood. Other times, we just through the end of the 10 foot stick on the fire, let it burn a break in itself, move the 7.5 foot drop over the fire, rinse, lather, repeat.

Maybe I should have titled this thread "Camping on the Cheap"! Especially now (Wifey is not working), I've got to watch the pennies. But even in better times, saving money allows more budget to travel, therefore more trips. I guess necessity truly is the Mother of invention. Whatever it takes to get me on the road more, I'll do it. It's the same reason I don't own a '14 FJR right now, even though it sometimes keeps me up at night (I'm crazy ape shit over that bike, man). If I bought the bike, there would be no budget to ride it, and what the heck is the point in that - especially when I've got a perfectly fine motorcycle now?

"Camping on the Cheap"! This is what appeals to me. I rather enjoy the camping and am interested in continuing to do it at low cost but with a reasonable degree of comfort. For me, the primary purpose of camping is cheap accommodations on the road.

Lots of good information in this thread and look forward to seeing some more tips from others.

ETJ - that cot is sweet. Looks like a PITA to set up, and a bit pricey, but Christmas is coming. How small does it pack?

Also, your chair seems very similar to mine in construction.

ETJ - that cot is sweet. Looks like a PITA to set up, and a bit pricey, but Christmas is coming. How small does it pack?
I have one too, and IMO your concerns are valid, Pants. Set up is tedious, at least, and you really need a good surface (like a full picnic table) either to assemble it or break it down. It packs small, basically a tube about 5" by 24", with lots of parts to keep track of. It should, and doesn't, come with a good secure-closing bag to keep it all together. It's also barely wide enough for me, so I feel the side rails if I happen to roll onto them. Overall, I'm thinking in the six to seven out of ten range, rating-wise. It does NOT go flat, however.
wink.png
Joe, how do you like yours?

I've been looking at that cot as well. On-line pictures show it packed up not much bigger than a boot! (at least one of my #14 boots)

It comes in 2 or 3 different sizes.

i have the cheap chinese ($6) stove and it works great

https://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpacking-Canister-Ignition-silvery/dp/B00ENDRORM/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1429140773&sr=8-1&keywords=ultralight+stove

paired with that stanley adventure cookset ($15 at walmart) it makes a great way to heat water or cook soups etc.

i have a helinox chair one, but there are also chinese knock offs of those if you are so inclined.

https://www.ebay.ca/itm/Portable-Chair-Folding-Seat-Stool-Fishing-Camping-Hiking-Gardening-Beach-2-Size-/301412110556?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item462d8fd0dc

i also really like this cheap little lantern.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B002C5BXGQ/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o08_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

i've picked up some other stuff this past off season, but haven't had a chance to give it a go.

trangia

bushbox pocket stove

mora bushcraft black.

grilliput.

when finally get out, i'll let y'all know if its decent or not.

oh, and its tough to beat the vaseline cotton balls for starting fires.

Great job HPPants! Thanks for taking the time to put this together. I'm always tweaking my system and enjoy learning what others have learned the hard way.

I think I can add a couple suggestions from my own experience:

1. Only bring synthetic clothing that can be washed in a sink and dried overnight.
  2. Light weight gear is good but quality light weight gear is better. This can quickly reach stupid-expensive levels.
  3. Tools and first aid kits are important (for your buddies).
  4. Having at least one steel tent peg/spike is nice to drive holes for the cheesy aluminum ones in hard ground.
  5. Don't pack extra items that can be resupplied on the road (stove fuel, booze, food, condiments).
  6. We are sophisticated gentlemen who ride 600 lb motorcycles, don't eat your perfect fire grilled steak with a spork! Buy quality Lexan or stainless utensils.
  7. Bring a quality knife to cut that perfect fire grilled steak, whittle a toothpick, trim cordage and stir your cocktail. Your knife is an extension of your soul.
  8. Extra cordage, clips and Gorilla Tape can turn a gear emergency into an enjoyable MacGyver opportunity.
  9. Baby-wipes... heaven in a Ziploc bag! A whole body wash can be done in as little as two sheets. Get the big one and go crazy.
  10. A tiny little Fiskars hatchet or similar can make kindling, pound tent stakes and offer a false sense of security in your tent at night. Hammering on your bent bike is another use.
Here is a Google spreadsheet everyone is welcome to tweak and make their own. I used this for Alaska and will be modifying it for the upcoming Continental Divide Ride.

The list.

I have one too, and IMO your concerns are valid, Pants. Set up is tedious, at least, and you really need a good surface (like a full picnic table) either to assemble it or break it down. It packs small, basically a tube about 5" by 24", with lots of parts to keep track of. It should, and doesn't, come with a good secure-closing bag to keep it all together. It's also barely wide enough for me, so I feel the side rails if I happen to roll onto them. Overall, I'm thinking in the six to seven out of ten range, rating-wise. It does NOT go flat, however.
wink.png
Joe, how do you like yours?
I didn't think the cot was hard to set up (I've only done so once so far, just to check it out) it does pack up small (I believe smaller than 24" length, more like 16-18") it will fit in my large Ortlieb dry bag along with my tent, sleeping bag, pillow, Jetboil stove & rubber mallet. I'm sure I'll have a better idea of how well it works, after actually using it...but it's gotta be better than sleeping on the ground.

Uber's #7 and #9 ring true. A good knife is your friend. Feel free to share suggestions.

Baby wipes are the best. Of all the camping luxuries, I think a hot shower ranks right near the top of the list, so a portable solar shower works well, and you can use your jetboil in a pinch to hear water to mix with cold for a warm shower.

Didn't think about the baby wipes. Will add that one to my party pack.

Sharp knife is a no brainer - mine stays in my tank bag and goes with me regardless of whether I'm camping or not.

They make adult wipes for cleaning and cost about the same as baby wipes. You can usually find them at Walmart. I carry them as they are a great way to get cleaned up when a shower isn't available.

Bumpsie:

(Save the flaming - I've found the old threads on this stuff and 3/4 of the URL links are dead now)

My waterproof duff compression sack didn't fare too great in my crash. Time to replace it.

Interested in knowing what are YOU using to pack your camping gear? And how much stuff do you stuff in it?

I feel like a 24" may be a smidge small, but a 36" might be overkill.

Thanks.