Motorcycle Helmet Performance: Blowing the Lid Off

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Big-D

Reaction score
Ever had someone piss in your cornflakes?

I ran across this article written in Motorcyclist magazine concerning helmets and just how good they really are. Or at least how good [our] perceptions of their ability to protect our brains really are. I don't know how many times I've heard the saying "if you've got a $79 dollar head, then buy a $79 dollar helmet".

Between my wife and me, I think we subscribe to 50% of every magazine published. Or at least it seems that way at times. Whether it's a set of spark plugs, a pack of razor blades or a box of cereal, when we see our favorite actor, restaurant icon, NASCAR driver or GP Racer, we tend to believe that if we buy the same product they are using, we will be bigger, faster, better looking, more popular or safer than if we bought the cheaper, less advertised edition. Although we are all fully aware that professional people don’t do anything for free, we still seem to fool ourselves into believing that the more we spend on something the better it’s going to be. Is that a true statement?

I’ve attached a link to the article. It’s long, at about 30 pages. Once you start, it’ll keep your attention. When you have time, read through it. It may surprise you.

(I didn't know which category to place this in, so if it's wrong, I suppose it will be moved)

Blowing the Lid Off (Helmet Truths)

Very Extremely old news. Been discussed endlessly here on the forum and everyone has their own opinion and makes their decision based on that.

After going head first into a guard rail support beam @ 35-45 mph, I'm glad I chose the helmet I wear.

YMMV.

lookie here

Helmets 101, by yours truly.

........... Whether it's a set of spark plugs, a pack of razor blades or a box of cereal, when we see our favorite actor, restaurant icon, NASCAR driver or GP Racer, we tend to believe that if we buy the same product they are using, we will be bigger, faster, better looking, more popular or safer than if we bought the cheaper, less advertised edition. Although we are all fully aware that professional people don’t do anything for free, we still seem to fool ourselves into believing that the more we spend on something the better it’s going to be. Is that a true statement?

No, and I can not believe you are really that naive.

I have found that when it comes to helmets, the 100 buck helmet will likely save your life just as well as the 400 dollar helmet, and what you are paying for is comfort, fit, and features. For someone that spends alot of time riding, these areas are important.

I myself do not believe most advertising, and prefer to do the research on a product myself. Forums like this are a valuable sourse of information on bike related products, and I'd take the word of someone here who has actualy tested a piece of equipment over some paid actor or celeb.

KM

we tend to believe that if we buy the same product they are using, we will be bigger, faster, better looking, more popular or safer than if we bought the cheaper, less advertised edition. Although we are all fully aware that professional people don’t do anything for free, we still seem to fool ourselves into believing that the more we spend on something the better it’s going to be. Is that a true statement?
No, and I can not believe you are really that naive.
+1 99.99% of all advertising are lies trying to convince you to buy stuff you don't really need.

+1 99.99% of all advertising are lies trying to convince you to buy stuff you don't really need.
Well, unless it's Maria Sharapova telling me to buy it. She don't lie -- and that's why I like her.

All 6'2" of her.

maria_sharapova_01.jpg

What! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, unless it's Maria Sharapova telling me to buy it. She don't lie -- and that's why I like her. All 6'2" of her.
I don't know much about photography. But I think, based on where my eyes go every time I look at that picture (I've run the experiment 10 times so far, and counting...), the composition of the picture is all wrong.

I don't know much about photography. But I think, based on where my eyes go every time I look at that picture (I've run the experiment 10 times so far, and counting...), the composition of the picture is all wrong.
So, you're saying you want more pictures....just for comparison's sake??? :rolleyes:

So, you're saying you want more pictures....just for comparison's sake??? :rolleyes:
Mmmmm. Not necessarily. I just think the photographer should, uh, throw a bone to all the dudes out there and recompose the shot with the obvious focal point nicely framed in the center of the shot. To wit:

maria_sharapova_01.jpg

Mmmmm. Not necessarily. I just think the photographer should, uh, throw a bone to all the dudes out there and recompose the shot with the obvious focal point nicely framed in the center of the shot. To wit:
personally, i think the shot is framed nicely. i like all the negative space behind her and i subscribe to the rule of thirds . :good:

rule of thirds:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rule_of_thirds

ah man thanks, now i feel like wtf. i have a hjc it was still around the 150 mark.

even thou you say the article is 3 years old that comparison makes me :blink: well worried.

i only get one shot at staying alive and still enjoy my ride. there saying my helmet is the second worst one

on the market......omfg....i may as well be riding helmet less according to this. (well with in reason)

i am so confused and dont have the cash for a 500 helmet. dam guess i have to quit riding. :rolleyes:

Ever had someone piss in your cornflakes?
I ran across this article written in Motorcyclist magazine concerning helmets and just how good they really are...It’s long, at about 30 pages. Once you start, it’ll keep your attention. When you have time, read through it. It may surprise you...
First discussed Here, IIRC.

Eve and I, just last night, were discussing her former boss and his lingering brain injury (most of the reason she no longer rides with me). Again, I wondered really hard how things would have turned out for him (and me) if he had a non-Snell helmet on.

I only know of one person who has taken a head strike with a non-Snell helmet, and she suffered no ill effects. I believe she is also in the age group with JB and MM2, who both got brain injuries out of their experiences. While this is by no means reliable indication, I have no intention of switching away from my Fulmer AFD-4 without some serious evidence to convince me it's not what's best for my safety. I was using a Shoei RF-1000 before I first read that article.

Hopefully, none of us will be impact-testing our helmets, but reality whispers otherwise.

I agree with your sentiment, Bob.

The BEST helmet anyone can get is the one that fits...so they wear it. I like the way mine fit and that they are quiet enough for me. Hopefully everyone finds the "right" helmet for them.

If any of us had the right helmet for the right impact at the right time we'd be extremely fortunate. At some point, we do the best we can and pray we never need the equipment we wear.

I believe she is also in the age group with JB and MM2, who both got brain injuries out of their experiences. While this is by no means reliable indication......
In my case, I don't know that anyone can say, unequivocally, that any particular helmet (Snell, Non-snell, whatever) would have prevented brain injury (blood clot). Head first into a 6x6 guard rail support @ 35-45 mph isn't an experiment I'm likely or willing to reconstruct.

I took an indirect head smack with a DOT only helmet. Broke a shit-load of bones, but none in the head. Current mental capacity is in serious question, however, it was before the crash also. ;)

Make the best decision you can and wear the helmet.

Perhaps a little better, Ari? For Ari's eys only (Мари́я Ю́рьевна Шара́пова)

Last edited by a moderator:
Very Extremely old news. Been discussed endlessly here on the forum and everyone has their own opinion and makes their decision based on that.
Folks, one little piece of info to add: SNELL has finally agreed with the rest of the world that their helmets transmit too much force. They are coming in line with DOT and ECE max g-force allowables. BUT NOT UNTIL 2010!

I understand that it will be known as SNELL 2010 spec. Too bad they waited so long.

Slardy

Too bad they waited so long.
Better late than never, but the Snell guidelines are better suited to car vehicle use, where you realistically run the risk of multiple impacts in the same spot, as against a roll bar when tumbling. There should be different standards for different applications....

Too bad they waited so long.
Better late than never, but the Snell guidelines are better suited to car vehicle use, where you realistically run the risk of multiple impacts in the same spot, as against a roll bar when tumbling. There should be different standards for different applications....

Exactly. Multiple impacks in the same location are not expected in motorcycle accidents.