Motorcycles are dangerous.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mcatrophy

Privileged to ride a 2018 FJR1300AS
Reaction score
Just filled up wth fuel. Started her up, zeroed my trip. Flicked it into gear. Glanced round, nobody a threat.

Opened the throttle sufficiently to start to move, lifted my feet onto the pegs, started the left turn to go to the petrol station exit. Done this a million times.

However, just as I get moving, another driver walks from left to right in front of me to go to the pay booth. If I'm to stop for him, I'll have to straighten the bike (or fall over), but this would mean aiming more towards him. So I turn a bit more to my left to go behind him.

As is common, the fuel pumps are set on a raised area surrounded by a curb. Unfortunately I'd left my toe dangling slightly out and below the height of the curb, my tightened turn takes me too close. My toe catches the curb, my foot is forced down and back as my foot pivots on my instep on the peg.

"Ouch" said I, or words to that effect (possibly out loud).

Luckily I could still see through my watering eyes. There was a car about to pull in front of me. Normally I would have waited for the car, but I'd already decided I mustn't stop until I'd fully assessed my situation; it was immediately obvious my foot wouldn't hold up the bike on the left side. So I opened the throttle some more to pass safely in front of the car.

My immediate route is to exit the petrol station onto a two-way road, then straight onto a fairly busy roundabout. "Only stop with right foot down" became my mental mantra, the corollary, of course, is "don't use the rear brake when coming to rest".

First stop is one car back from the first roundabout, I manage that, then round another roundabout without having to stop. Approaching the third, I'm now on a duel carriagway, twenty cars or so in both of "my" lanes waiting to get on the roundabout. There's no way I want to be in stop-start traffic with a useless foot. Luckily for me, there's sufficient room to filter between the lines of cars, I have to stop just once. Oh, if I'd had to use a foot gear-change, I'd have had to stay in 1st gear the whole time. YCC-S rules.

I proceed by filtering between queued cars until I turn off the main road onto the minor roads leading to home, only had to stop a couple more times. Stop in my drive, remotely open my garage door, ride it in.

Next hurdle is to get my side-stand down. I daren't just put it down by feel as I usually do, the only feeling I have is pain. I lean the bike firmly over to my right, right foot planted, look down at the side stand, gingerly lift my foot off the peg, get my boot's instep over the side-stand's peg, gently move the side stand into position. Now I put my left foot back onto the footrest, push the bike over to left, let it fall onto the stand.

So far, so good.

Now, how the heck do I get off the bike? No way can I dismount to the left. I use my arms to push my weight onto my right foot, still on the peg (I'm too short to get my right foot on the ground with the bike leant to the left). So, now I'm stood on the right footrest. I get my left leg over, but can't put it to the ground with my weight on it to lift my right foot off. I put my forearms flat on the tank, lean over putting all my weight on the tank, so I can lift my right foot and put it onto the ground.

I gingerly test putting my left foot down. It will go down flat, but I can't use it.

I take off my gloves, helmet and jacket, all standing on one foot and leaning on the bike, then comes the fun bit of getting my boots off. I want to stand on one foot whilst taking the boot off the other, I can't stand on my left, and trying to pull the boot off my left foot creates a whimpering sound from me.

Eventually, with a combination of a chair, the bike, and a few more "ouch"s (or words to that effect), I get them off.

I hobble into the house.

"What have you done?" are the words that greet me. "Nothing" said I. Well, compared with the replacement hip my beloved had 5 weeks ago, this is nothing.

"Ring the doctor" she says. "It'll be all right" I replied. "Have we got a crepe bandage, perhaps I should bind it?" We find a crepe bandage. I sit down, and take off my sock ready to bind it. "Perhaps I'll ring the doctor" I said, having seen the blue golf-ball attached to the side of my ankle.

Ring the doctor, "Any chance of seeing a doctor this-afternoon?" "Can you get here by 2:10?" from the receptionist. "I'll be there."

Then I think to myself, "How?" I can't ride my bike, I couldn't drive the car, no way could my foot operate a clutch pedal.

Luckily, She comes to my rescue. She'd driven the car for the first time since her operation this-morning, she agrees to drive me.

Doctor listens to my tale of stupidity, then grimaces when she sees my ankle. She gently moves my foot around. Says "You've pulled a ligament. Ice pack, and strong isopropenols" as she prints out a prescription. "If it doesn't improve in the next two weeks, come back."

So, here I am, sat with an ice pack, feet up, worrying about being unable to accompany my son tomorrow going to test ride a Ducati, I'm riding to Wales, Ireland and Scotland in five weeks, I'm supposed to be going on a cruise with Her (the inside passage) in a couple of months, which means miles of walking in airports.

She is not happy with me. This is the worst part.

Dangerous things, motorcycles.

Last edited by a moderator:
mca, I hope you see the humor in this through the immediate pain...

Now, how the heck do I get off the bike? No way can I dismount to the left. I use my arms to push my weight onto my right foot, still on the peg (I'm too short to get my right foot on the ground with the bike leant to the left). So, now I'm stood on the right footrest. I get my left leg over, but can't put it to the ground with my weight on it to lift my right foot off. I put my forearms flat on the tank, lean over putting all my weight on the tank, so I can lift my right foot and put it onto the ground. Then the kickstand broke. There I am, sprawled over the bike belly first, left foot throbbing, unable to get up. The the wife walked in and wanted to go shoe shopping.
Get better bud.. and only isopropenols for pain? Jessh.

*snip*

"Oh, if I'd had to use a foot gear-change, I'd have had to stay in 1st gear the whole time. YCC-S rules."

I bet you'll be back on your wheels in no time. That's one case I wouldn't mind a button shift!

Heal quick!

:)

Here's to a quick and complete recovery with little discomfort along the way.

I must say that although your premise is that motorcycles are dangerous, it is obvious that what you truely fear is Mrs. mcatrophy. Smart man.

mca, I hope you see the humor in this through the immediate pain...
Now, how the heck do I get off the bike? No way can I dismount to the left. I use my arms to push my weight onto my right foot, still on the peg (I'm too short to get my right foot on the ground with the bike leant to the left). So, now I'm stood on the right footrest. I get my left leg over, but can't put it to the ground with my weight on it to lift my right foot off. I put my forearms flat on the tank, lean over putting all my weight on the tank, so I can lift my right foot and put it onto the ground. Then the kickstand broke. There I am, sprawled over the bike belly first, left foot throbbing, unable to get up. The the wife walked in and wanted to go shoe shopping.
Get better bud.. and only isopropenols for pain? Jessh.
:)
Looking at the literature in the box, they're actually something called naproxen, not isoproponel. She must have said "stronger than..." not "strong...".

It also says I shall get bleeding stomach, heart attack, stroke, liver kidney and brain problems (the latter I can disregard), diorreah and constipation, nausia, tiredness, insomnia among other side effects. Nor should I take them if I'm pregnant or breast feeding.

It would appear that they're supposed to frighten you to health.

They'd better work.

coming home one day I found that the county had "rototilled" my road...trying to make it home over the rubble I caught my left toe on a chunk of asphalt...knocked my foot off the peg and jammed my heel under the center stand tang...levered the bike right off the rear wheel... rest of story is the same as Mr. Trophy's...
grrr.gif

Ouch! Heal fast. Unfortunately, ligaments are an area of poor circulation and therefor heals somewhat slowly. Naproxen is the right stuff for things like this. These days tap water comes with the same type warnings it seems.

I hope the initial diagnosis turns out to be correct, bad as it is it's still better that what would need to be done to fix bones. As an owner of lots of ankle hardware for both the tibia and fibula I can tell ya, it sucks.

Dangerous things, motorcycles wives.
(Since your wife is recovering from significant structural repairs she isn't gonna be doing a lot of walking for quite a while either. If she bitches complains about your ankle interfering with plans, remind her that her walking ability is limited too.)

Here's to a quick and complete recovery with little discomfort along the way.
I must say that although your premise is that motorcycles are dangerous, it is obvious that what you truely fear is Mrs. mcatrophy. Smart man.
I've got to go with the dinosaur man's post.
Here's to a quick recovery and watch yer back...Mrs mcatrophy might be lurking.

Done almost the exact same thing before - caught my left foot on a curb. Luckily it shook loose and nothing got twisted too much or broken. Good boots helped.

Hope you have a speedy recovery!

I think your mistake was stopping at a petrol station. I've never stopped at one a' them.

But if you can't make it, I'll be glad to ride to Wales, Ireland and Scotland for you, Mac.

Bad story, well told. Heal fast.

Ouch! That did not sound good at all... Hope you will heal up quickly.

It also says I shall get bleeding stomach, heart attack, stroke, liver kidney and brain problems (the latter I can disregard), diorreah and constipation, nausia, tiredness, insomnia among other side effects. Nor shoukld I take them if I'm pregnant or breast feeding.
What? No more breast feeding? Throw those useless pills in the trash and get back on the teat! ;)

Thanks for all the well wishes.

Dangerous things, motorcycles wives.
(Since your wife is recovering from significant structural repairs she isn't gonna be doing a lot of walking for quite a while either. If she bitches complains about your ankle interfering with plans, remind her that her walking ability is limited too.)
Huh. You don't know my wife. (This is possibly a good thing
wink.png
.) She walked a few steps without any aid the day after her operation. Since then she has used no aids to walking, gradually doing more each day. Gave up on the pain killers reducers after a couple of weeks because of their side effects. She is now walking with no limp (though she is consciously having to do this). She needs to build her stamina, and has a little trouble with stairs. Apart from that, she's walking fine. If you didn't know she'd had an operation, you wouldn't know.

Dangerous? Only if I get on the wrong side of her. Then life becomes somewhere between difficult and impossible. Even so, I wouldn't swap her for anything (or anybody).

AJ: Ouch...That's close to how 'Tucson' Joe got his ankle broken when I pushed over his Gold Wing up in Colorado. Hopefully it's just a pulled tendon. Get better.
Sorry mcatrophy, I had to "Fix" HotRodZilla's blatant lie. Get well soon Brother, pulling and praying for you that you can make your planned Rides! JSNS!

AJ: Ouch...That's close to how 'Tucson' Joe got his ankle broken when I pushed over his Gold Wing up in Colorado. Hopefully it's just a pulled tendon. Get better.
Sorry mcatrophy, I had to "Fix" HotRodZilla's blatant lie. Get well soon Brother, pulling and praying for you that you can make your planned Rides! JSNS!
No need to apologise. Anyway, nothing broken here (doctor could rotate my foot with no grinds or rattles, just the odd squeak from my mouth). And no way would I want to compete with your episode, I know when I am totally out-classed.
Mine's going to take some weeks to heal, yours is going to take a little longer. I'm already getting withdrawal symptoms, how you are coping I have no idea. Hope you mend ok.

So long as I can get my boots on, I will get to Ireland, I will raise a glass in your honour.