Motorcycles are dangerous.

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I can relate to your humorously well-written description. I've been in similar situations figuring out how to cope with some suddenly unavailable body part. Such as having to repeatedly start my MG in 1st gear to get home because I couldn't operate the clutch, for example. This due to a badly sprained ankle. At least I could power-shift among the remaining gears.

And riding my SL350 from near the top of Rollins pass all the way back to Denver where my right leg could only be extended/retracted in very slow motion because of a major ballooned knee after a crash up there. I had to carefully plan stops at traffic lights, stop signs, etc. so as to only need to use my left leg.

Two days of naproxen and ice packs later, the worst swelling has gone down. Walking hasn't improved one iota, it's still a one-sided hobble.

It has created some pretty colours ...

(Click on image for larger view)

And a comparison:

That hurts to look at mcatrophy!

...oh and riding motorcycles is safe, riding motorcycles near curbs Is what you need to avoid!!

Hope the oops heals quickly and you're back on two wheels.

--G

It's funny how we take ankles (knees, elbows, shoulders, hands) for granted....until something like this happens.

All the best with your, and wifey's, healing process!

Two days of naproxen and ice packs later, the worst swelling has gone down. Walking hasn't improved one iota, it's still a one-sided hobble.
It has created some pretty colours ...

And a comparison:

Wow, that must have torn the shit out of your flip flops.

Never has the little phrase (Click on image for larger view) been more unnecessary.

Last edited by a moderator:
... Wow, that must have torn the shit out of your flip flops....
My flip-flop has just a little rub on the toe.(Click on image for larger view)

I always wear good motorcycle-specific flip-flops, this is an occasion when they proved their value. I suspect they saved me from broken toe, foot or ankle bones, but no way could they have saved the ligament damage without tipping the bike over.

Two days of naproxen and ice packs later, the worst swelling has gone down. Walking hasn't improved one iota, it's still a one-sided hobble.It has created some pretty colours ...(Click on image for larger view)
0_IMG_1794.JPG
0_IMG_1795.JPG

And a comparison:
0_IMG_1793.JPG
That's gonna smart!

Eyttcchhh!!!!!!

It has created some pretty colours ...(Click on image for larger view)[img=[URL="https://atrophy.lock.net/pi/20150426_ankle/tmp/0_IMG_1794.JPG%5D"]https://atrophy.lock.net/pi/20150426_ankle/tmp/0_IMG_1794.JPG][/URL] [img=[URL="https://atrophy.lock.net/pi/20150426_ankle/tmp/0_IMG_1795.JPG%5D"]https://atrophy.lock.net/pi/20150426_ankle/tmp/0_IMG_1795.JPG][/URL]

And a comparison:[img=[URL="https://atrophy.lock.net/pi/20150426_ankle/tmp/0_IMG_1793.JPG%5D"]https://atrophy.lock.net/pi/20150426_ankle/tmp/0_IMG_1793.JPG][/URL]
That's gonna smart!
Eyttcchhh!!!!!!
Agree totally.
not_i.gif

..gonna smart..

.....not as much when wifiepooh learns he can't walk in time for vacation... me thinks mr. mca is in biiiiig trouble!

Yikes!

As I read your first several paragraphs I deduced that it was worse than a bump. (I'm clever that way.)

I also deduced that the foot was still attached and that your pain meds were inadequate - your writing is brilliant!

It also reminded me of a similar incident nearly 30 years ago. My bike was only a couple weeks old when I caught my left foot - in a bad neighborhood, where I was NOT going to abandon my bike. The 20+ mile ride home saw me breathing just enough to maintain a steady stream of obscenities as I hoped for traffic lights to be green. (The Divine Spectator had other plans for his amusement.) I got the bike safely home, swallowed some Percodan, and drove myself to the ER. The nurse seemed less interested in how I shifted with a broken foot (3 bones) than how I had acquired the Vitamin P.

I'll take broken bones over torn ligaments any time. Heal quickly!

I've been in similar situations figuring out how to cope with some suddenly unavailable body part. Such as having to repeatedly start my MG in 1st gear to get home because I couldn't operate the clutch, for example.
This is a blatant lie. MG has Lucas (non)electrics and therefore never start.

Sorry to hear of this, mcatrophy. Seriously, ligaments take lots of time to heal. Have you asked about physical therapy? Helped me immensely on two separate occasions.

Took a sharp curve at speed this weekend and felt the outside sole of my left foot slide on wet pavement. Thought immediately of you, and moved the foot hard against the bike.

So, your story has had a little goodness come from it!

Please make sure your wife knows it was NOT your fault. Call me if you need backup on that.

Sorry to hear of this, mcatrophy. Seriously, ligaments take lots of time to heal. Have you asked about physical therapy? Helped me immensely on two separate occasions.
Took a sharp curve at speed this weekend and felt the outside sole of my left foot slide on wet pavement. Thought immediately of you, and moved the foot hard against the bike.

So, your story has had a little goodness come from it!

Please make sure your wife knows it was NOT your fault. Call me if you need backup on that.
Last things first, She knows it was my fault, there's no way I (or you) could convince her differently. She can detect porkies at a hundred yards. but thanks for the offer :) .
I've occasionally rubbed the outside of my boot on the road surface. So long as it's smooth, you shouldn't have a problem. I'm not normally a peg scraper, and, like you, when it's happened I've pulled my toe in and up. Never thought I'd do what I did on a curb, though.

Yes, physio is worthwhile. I've been given exercises to do with strict instructions to get further medical help if it doesn't improve.

It either has started to improve or I'm learning how to hobble with it more quickly less slowly.

Last edited:
Holy Crap, Mc. I just bumped into this thread. That had to hurt like Hell. Ankles are delicate. I briskly took off from a red light many years ago and I clipped my left boot on one of those reflector pucks. I felt a little tingle but, payed it no mind until I get to the house. That's when it felt like my boot was on Fire! 3 teeny weeny bones had fractures in them.

It healed up nicely and needless to say, I always lift my toes on take off now. God Speed and enjoy your trip! :D

Holy Crap, Mc. I just bumped into this thread. That had to hurt like Hell. Ankles are delicate. I briskly took off from a red light many years ago and I clipped my left boot on one of those reflector pucks. I felt a little tingle but, payed it no mind until I get to the house. That's when it felt like my boot was on Fire! 3 teeny weeny bones had fractures in them. It healed up nicely and needless to say, I always lift my toes on take off now. God Speed and enjoy your trip! :D
It did hurt like hell, but being British and old-fashioned, I exercised my stiff upper lip and kept the pain to myself. That is apart from my Better Half, the doctor, posting up the event on the interweb, and anyone else I could get sympathy from :) . Not that She gave me any sympathy, of course :( .
As for breaking bones, this could have been the ultimate case of stubbed toes, and breaking bones there must be excruciating. I'm very glad my boot did its job.

So, since She was out, I limped my way into the garage to see if I could get my boot on, now that the swelling has reduced somewhat. After a bit of heaving and tugging (but no twisting), I did manage to get it on. Actually, once on, it felt very supportive, probably because it was very tight (there's a surprise).

Also I had a better look at the boot, in case it had received any structural damage, I couldn't see any.

However, I did find the scuff marks on the boot were a little more spread than I first thought.

Click on image for larger view

I don't know how the boot was scuffed further up the right side of the boot when the curb I "rubbed" was on the left. Or, perhaps I don't want to know!

No wonder it hurts :( .

At least I know I can probably ride the bike now, but not until I think it won't cause significant domestic upheaval - ionbeam is quite right:

Dangerous things, motorcycles wives.

Friday, exactly three weeks since I damaged my ankle, I went to see the doctor to get advice on ankle ligament healing. He said I couldn't damage it unless I twisted it again, and that any pain doing "normal" stuff was ok.
Gave me some exercises, including balancing on the "bad" foot (and also on the good foot to help the brain learn to deal with both), walking crossing the legs over, both forwards and backwards, and any amount of moving the foot around. Walking, going up and down stairs (down is still very painful), all good.

Today, Sunday, son comes round. He wants to put some miles on his Monster ready for its first service next Saturday, six days time. He asked if I'd like to go with him. SWMBO gave her somewhat reluctant permission.

So, for the first time in three weeks, I could go for a ride. Got kitted up, backed the bike out of the garage, pushing from the side - didn't fancy sitting on and pushing back with my feet.

Pressed the starter. It's as if the bike was eager to go, it started instantly on the first compression.

So we went on a local loop.

Weather was slightly overcast, temperature 11-13C (52-55F), perfect for me. Son later said his hands were getting cold, he had his summer gloves and no heated grips.

On the bike my ankle was fine, but coming to rest I had to be careful. The only way to use my left foot without any pain was to get the bike absolutely stationary before putting my foot down, and preferably with the foot flat. But it was do-able. Yes, I know the doctor said that pain was ok, but I think holding a bike up with the ankle's pain increasing to I don't know how much would be unwise.

Route summary:

The route:
(Click on image for interactive map)

So I reckon I'm ready for Wales, Ireland and Scotland starting Saturday.