move to the darkside???

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
:assassin: :assassin: :assassin: i gotta tell ya, my little lady has made the commitment that if i get a scoot that will give her a bit of security while riding two-up she will go with me on my rides. I simply love my fjr and just competed a 2500 mile trip through the beautiful pacific northwest with my pal but honestly, I would rather have my bride of 24 years riding with me than leaving her at home. I have been considering a "oh my gosh" HD Ultra Classic instead of the FJR and wanted to see what ya'all thought about my thought process. You have all been great here and I have learned so much from the forum, i gotta know what "you guys" think about dfp's dilemma... Okay, have at it ladies and gentlemen, i can take it... :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:
To see my vote look at my sig line :yahoo:

Bob Vail

If your serious get the Wing...built for comfort and get going these days with the 1800 donk...as for the HD they were not built for the passenger it was like the built the bike then plonked the rider and the passenger down and said "there ya go" where the wing was built around the rider and passenger.
+++++

Well, I rented an Electra Glide for a day and did about 500 miles on it with my wife. She LOVED it. In fact, it was so comfortable and secure feeling for her she said she almost fell asleep. To be honest, I didn't find the bike that exciting, but truly we were just cruising around so I wasn't really riding it in a way to generate much excitement. The bike can be a real mile eater with the sixth gear overdrive and torque filled 96 inch v-twin. Still, being a Harley rider, I don't always recommend Harleys to those who haven't ridden them. The touring bikes are not counter balanced and the engine does vibrate at idle. I don't notice it at speed as the engine is rubber mounted to the frame and the vibes really smooth out. For some though, they may not like it. Harley's are not as refined as bikes like the Gold Wing. Personally, the Wing is not to my taste. I know it is a very cabable bike, but I like the vibes of the Harley. I like the low rumble of the v-twin. And on the Electra Glide, with the big fairing, nice stereo, available cruise control. Cavernous bags and tour pack, thick seat, and everything else, I think it is a quite comfortable touring bike.

But hey, different strokes for different folks. I'd ride with you whatever you buy. And as far as the cost of the Harley, Honda finds the Wings pretty precious as well.

Enjoy.

Dan

What is wrong with the STAR VENTURE??? 5 year warranty, 5 year road assistance, A motor that is bullet proof.

What do you guys think???

It's all relative. I've always rode sport bikes, most recently a 2000 CBR929RR. Guess what color. Anyway, the wife and I did a lot of two-up sport riding on that bike. Compared to a full sport bike, the FJR is like an easy chair. We did one 600-mile day, several 500-milers, and many 400-mile days on the 929. If you don't know any better, then you don't know. We've done a couple of 400-mile trips on the FJR, and it's positively palatial compared to the CBR. And I did two 1200-mile weekends on the FJR, solo. No problem. Stock seat with a sheepskin.

We've been riding two-up together since '77, and she's a great passenger. Only tossed her off once, and that was back in '78. Her daddy was pissed.

I've never sat her on the back of a GL1800, but I bet she'd like it. No offense to the HD loyalists, but I need more performance than they can provide. Sorry, that's just what I like.