MPG After PCIII install

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rondo777

Reaction score
I installed my PCIII a couple of weeks ago that I bought as part of the group buy. I loaded this map Wally Holeshots Combo Map into the PCIII. It worked really good to smooth the throttle and it def added some umff through out the entire throttle range. But.......

I went from 43mpg to 36mpg on the first tank. Same type of riding, a mix of city and slab but mostly city. I just loaded up the M419-001 map from the PCIII download page and started out with a full tank of gas. The throttle response is still very nice but the extra UMFF is gone. No big deal, the bike is UMFFY enough for me.

I was just curious what maps you folks are running with and how they effect MPG. Hopefully mine will come up a bit with the current map loaded. I didnt get the chance to burn up a tank on the HWY with the Holeshot map so I dont know what it would do there but I normally get a little over 50mpg on the HWY. Also with the PCIII the computer display is way off. Used to be extreamy accurate esp avg mpg, now it actually reads higher then ever even though the mpg dropped.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yep, The most I get now is 38 tops. This is hand calculated due to the fact that the ecu is not reading what is actually being injected and throws the avg and instant displays way off. I have the Wally smoothness map.

Yep, The most I get now is 38 tops. This is hand calculated due to the fact that the ecu is not reading what is actually being injected and throws the avg and instant displays way off. I have the Wally smoothness map.

Oops! That would explain why I see 46 mpg now instead of 42 I've always gotten w/o the PCIII! :blink: I have the base map loaded with stock bike.

Herkypilot

This is the thrid bike I've installed a PCIII on. My experience is that you need to have it Dyno'd to maximize the bike. I also used a holeshot download with my header/slip on combo. It was still way off on the fuel mix ratio. A generic map is just that. Remember, every bike is different. I had a mechanic at a race shop, that has dyno'd all three of my bikes and works on a ton of race bikes, tell me that there can be as much as a 10% difference in horsepower from the same manufacture and style of bike to the next one. Which means each bike needs to be tuned different. Every generic map I used while waiting to get in to dyno has always created fuel mileage issues and has not max'd out performance. Pay the experts to do what they do best....just my opinion

Ray

I have the 001map in my '05 and usually get about 39pg on the Hwy. I used to get 46'ish without the PC. I would be interested in going to a dyno place but have not found one in the SoCal area. So, post up if anyone knows of one.

I am considering changing back just to see if there is much actual difference. I originally put the PC on to help with engine temperatures. Hard to say what is best for the bike. Running Fat but cool or running lean and hot or trying to run optimum, I have no idea where it sits. What I want is running optimum, best for the engine, and good MPG. Is there such a thing? :unsure: :glare: :blink: :dribble: Maybe I need to go back to checking the plug color.

I'm using Uselesspickles map and average about 43 not much difference.
Radical are you running the one for this bike config.

Stock exhaust

Stock air filter

Stock O2 sensor disconnected

I have orderedr a K&N but its back ordered.

And did it fix your abrupt throttle on/off? Sounds like you didnt really take much of a hit in MPG department.

I lost about 5mpg with the PC install. The readout shows what it was, not what it is now. I"m getting around 40, plus or minus in typical riding. On a staight shot of highway riding it will get around 45 now.

I just installed my PCIII and I'm anxious to see how my mpg has changed. I started off using Wally's smoothness map for a stock bike. By the way, how are all of you getting better mileage on the HWY. I usually run 80 mph which is about 4.2K RPM and my mpg drops compared to my normail daily commute riding, which doesn't involve using a hwy. Of course I have always contributed this MPG drop to the higher revs needed to maintain the Hwy speeds.

I have had a PC installed on my 03 for 5 years. The Wally map and such give good but not a great match for any bike. After installing Holeshot cans, then tweaking the map, then the full system, and another tweak, I had it put on a dyno for a custom map. No comparison. It rocked from leaving the building way better than any other map used. I lost ~ 10% in mielage on normal highway use. But the band of power and the smooth delivery make it worth the mileage drop. I get 42-44 on the road and 38 in the commute. Still respectable.

I'm using Uselesspickles map and average about 43 not much difference.
Radical are you running the one for this bike config.

Stock exhaust

Stock air filter

Stock O2 sensor disconnected

I have orderedr a K&N but its back ordered.

And did it fix your abrupt throttle on/off? Sounds like you didnt really take much of a hit in MPG department.
It did fix the abrupt throttle. I am running the config exactly like you listed. I did, last night, try the 419-001 but it's too early to determine mileage. I'll post back after a few hundred miles and let you know what I find. I am running my bike stock.

Full holeshot exhaust, K&N, PCIII loaded with Dale Walkers full system Map.

43MPG highway averaging 70-75 on the speedo.

I installed my PCIII a couple of weeks ago that I bought as part of the group buy. I loaded this map Wally Holeshots Combo Map into the PCIII. It worked really good to smooth the throttle and it def added some umff through out the entire throttle range. But.......
I went from 43mpg to 36mpg on the first tank. Same type of riding, a mix of city and slab but mostly city. I just loaded up the M419-001 map from the PCIII download page and started out with a full tank of gas. The throttle response is still very nice but the extra UMFF is gone. No big deal, the bike is UMFFY enough for me.

I was just curious what maps you folks are running with and how they effect MPG. Hopefully mine will come up a bit with the current map loaded. I didnt get the chance to burn up a tank on the HWY with the Holeshot map so I dont know what it would do there but I normally get a little over 50mpg on the HWY. Also with the PCIII the computer display is way off. Used to be extreamy accurate esp avg mpg, now it actually reads higher then ever even though the mpg dropped.
I had similar issue on my '08 C14. After I installed an ZX14 header, AreaP dual exhaust and a PC3 with a custom map my fuel economy dropped to 40-41 mpg @ 70 mph. Several guys at the forum had FuelMoto custom map for "economy" with excellent results. So I ask for one of Jamie's originals and the edited version for "economy". What I saw was a 7 to 8% cut in the fuel trim values from 5% to 40% throttle position settings in the 2000 to 5000 rpm range. I decided to try an experiment.

I took my bike on a 158 mile trip and pinned my speed on 70 mph. It used 3.83 GAL. for 41.2 avg mpg. What I expected...

So when I got home I opened my Power Commander software...edited the map accordingly. I cut the fuel trim 7% in the prescribed fields then re-loaded it onto my PowerCommander. I then took the exact same trip...158 miles so the terrain would be identical. The winds were about the same on both days ...8 - 10 mph out of the south. This time the bike used only 3.34 gals for an avg of 47.3! Needless to say I was pleased.

I have checked it numerous times since then and the bike is getting about the same. I can not feel any significant power loss in the mid range throttle. However I did not touch the 80 and 100% throttle position ranges so the bike still has full power when I crank it open. About the only difference I have observed is just better fuel economy.

I encourage you to do same. It's very simple to do. You can always re-load the original map if you don't like it. I've had the bike sniff checked for FA and it was fine.

I was getting 37mpg with Wally's map. I went back to stock map and I get 42 to 45mpg. Actual calculations not the computer.

so if I manage to get one of these, (now that they're "illegal" in CA), where in the lower Bay Area is a good place to get an actual dyno tune? It's gonna be awhile, but I plan on ending up with a K&N filter and Holeshot slipons while leaving the rest of the motor alone. I'm mostly looking to fix the abrupt throttle, but after doing some minor intake and exhaust changes I'd love to have it custom dialled in.

it's pretty expensive to get this done, isn't it?