MPG, MPH, MPD (or HPD)

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sherman

Reaction score
Could some of you with the big Iron-Butts please sound off and tell me about your trip planning averages?

Say...

MPG?

MPH?

MPDay?

I see talk about the FJR being a mile eating machine. Do you think you can cover more miles per day than a car?

Thanks,

Bruce

Well I'm in the big butt "touring" catagory, so my planning estimates are:

MPG - don't track nor care (though my record NA high "ever" was $4.25US a gal in Big Sur last Sep!);

MPH - my FJR likes to cruise at 140 km/hr (90mph) but vary up or down depending on local conditions/leos/weather;

MPD - 800-1000km (500-600miles) per day when I'm "getting there" (like it's 3 days to Denver), and maybe less when I arrive somewhere nice... except that when I get somewhere nice usually there is sun from early morning to later in the evening and I tend to ride until dark (made for very long days in Alaska) B) .

My basic parameters are how much time do I have to travel (typically 15 days) and I squeeze every day dry... (or maybe not.) :rolleyes:

Bet that was useful info.... you should see me plan a route!

Could some of you with the big Iron-Butts please sound off and tell me about your trip planning averages?Say...

MPG?

MPH?

MPDay?

I see talk about the FJR being a mile eating machine. Do you think you can cover more miles per day than a car?

Thanks,

Bruce
I don't know about it being totally iron yet. It's probably galvanized at this point.

My rules of thumb when riding 1000+ mile days:

MPG: 40 +/- 2

MPH: Posted + 9 is my goal cruising (less in dense areas and more in remote areas) 12 minute gas stops

MPDay: 1020-1566 have been my ranges for 24 hours or less so far.

I think I can cover more miles with the bike because it's provides less of a profile than cages to LEO radar and entirely more interesting.

I never intentionally attempted an LD car ride, but my car best is 980 miles and took about 20 hours.

+1 to what Iggy said, and

Lots of the MPD value depends on if I'm in "get there ASAP" mode, or "get there, but stop every now and then to see something interesting" mode.

MPG?

MPH?

MPDay?

All depends on the kind of riding you're doing and your endurance capabilities. If you are doing nothing more than eating miles on the superslabs, figure on anywhere upwards of 40 mpg depending on windshield height (yes, it makes a difference) and average speed (buzzing along at 75-80 will drink more gallons than 65-70). For MPH, If you're going to keep it around 10 mph over the speed limit and you take somewhat-leisurely stops for gas and food, figure on somewhere around 60-62 mph for a long (1000+) day. For MPD, 1000 is doable without too much pushing, especially if you have a lot of time on the highways, however, don't let your pride get the best of you. If your body is telling you to stop, then, by all means, stop.

Set realistic goals for yourself. What works best for me is to figure an end time and number of miles and then figure out what speed you will need to average to hit your target.

Your mileage WILL vary

My planning factors:

MPG= 40

MPH= 75 on any interstate, 70 on secondary roads

MPD= I ride based on elapsed time, usually use 15 hours max.

On the 100CCC Insanity or such ride, I ride for 1200 miles more or less.

Bruce Posted on Apr 10 2006, 02:41 PM

Could some of you with the big Iron-Butts please sound off and tell me about your trip planning averages?.....I see talk about the FJR being a mile eating machine. Do you think you can cover more miles per day than a car?
Bruce,The FJR is a multi-faceted sport-touring machine -- so, along with its windey road prowess it can cover some serious miles if needed or wanted. Here's an example: In the middle of a day during a cross-country trip. Approached I-25 in NM from the east, stopped, refreshed, filled the tank. Got on I-25 southbound at exit 450 (Raton), a few hours later -- got off I-25 at exit 150 (Socorro). Fast, safe, comfortable......300 miles non-stop w/interesting riding before and after.

MPH depends on where you are. Super slab 5-15 over. Wide open portions of the western states well hang on! This is where the FJR is a blast, for example it is 171 miles from Tonapah to Ely,Nv. and a certian rider I know did it in under 2 hours with a quick pit stop to water a bush. You do the math and still got 38 mpg. I am learning to leave early and working on quicker gas stops.