MSF rider course

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I do all the demos on my FJR. It build confidence for the younger riders seeing that big FJR do it.
BRC demos? Interesting,I always use a training bike to provide confidence to the students so that they know the bikes their on will do what I'm asking them to do.
Besides, demoing on the training bikes is required, we are not showcasing our abilities, we are demonstrating the exercise.

And oddly enough, the big Harleys are easier to maneuver in the box than the FJR.

DC
Actually it's not required when you teach a BRC using students own bikes. When using training bike's, then yes, demo on a trainer.

I haven't used a big Harley for demos, but I would think they would be fine. The lower mass would help to be more confident inspiring and the bar leverage would help maneuvering.
Ahhhh. In Mass. only training bikes are allowed in the BRC.

DC.

DC.
Yup...same in PA. Only training bikes in the BRC and the instructors demonstated the exercises on the training bikes. They were all Honda 250 Rebels except for one Suzuki DR400...That's the one I rode and it was a hoot. Would have been really embarrasing if I flunked the BRC after riding for 30 years. :blink:

I do all the demos on my FJR. It build confidence for the younger riders seeing that big FJR do it.
Did the course on my GL1800......aced it. Much to the surprise of my instructor who told me that he only had one other person try it on a full dresser. I also had a V-strom 650 but I just had bought it and was more comfortable on my Wing. The entire story is that I was moved to Eglin AFB after a year in Korea, even though I had a MC endorsement on my drivers license I did not have a MSF course card. The safety NCO on base would not believe me that I had taken the course years before even had it on my insurance policy but they made me retake the course. The next one available had all the loaner bikes taken and I only had the wing and a new DL 650. I did not mention that I had been riding motorcycles since 1975, so I did have 28 years of seat time. Still I think the FJR is more than capable of doing the course and yes it would be fun to see it done.

I took the ERC on the Feej, it was actually a lot of fun even thoght it was pissing rain all day :)

I'm doing Total Control this Saturday, looking forward to even more fun :)

Have done the "new" ERC a couple of times on the FJR. Did the alternating S in a box drill using the smaller box just to make it fun. I didn't know at the time that the smaller boxes were meant for the 250's used during BRC.

Does anyone have the dimensions of that box? I wouldn't mind practicing that figure "8" before I take the advanced course.
bigjimbiker from Florida
In Maryland, it's 20 ft for 600cc or smaller bikes - 24 ft for bigger.

With practice I've done it in 19 ft on the Feej, but it's tight.

DC.
Yup...same in PA. Only training bikes in the BRC and the instructors demonstated the exercises on the training bikes. They were all Honda 250 Rebels except for one Suzuki DR400...That's the one I rode and it was a hoot. Would have been really embarrasing if I flunked the BRC after riding for 30 years. :blink:
I teach on base and we dont have training bikes, So we ride what you have. We as a militarty base have a different set of rules as far as that goes. ERC and BRC are on your own bikes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just took the ERC last week. The FJR did great. I was able to complete the figure 8 in the smallest box. Several sport bikes, an R6 and GSXR could not complete the largest box. There was a guy on a Sportster w/ apehangers and he was dragging pegs and hanging in there on all the drills w/ ease.