MSF rider course

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boomerang

Reaction score
Went for a ride through town yesterday and there were a couple guy's setting up an MSF practice coarse. So,being the curious person that I am I stopped to watch.

They were struggling hard with most of the coarse especially the slalom. That and the box turn.

After watching for a few min's. I decided what the hell I'll give it a try. Aced it first time through ! The big girl did very well. In the slalom portion you damn near have to come to a complete stop without putting your foot down just to make the last turn in.

So,in conclusion, the FJR is a very capable bike for a big top heavy bitch!

Either that or I'm just that good :yahoo:

Yes it is very capable. Usually after a BRC I demo the States ALMOST test on my FJR to help build the students confidence.

I work right down the street from CSN where they have the MSF course setup all the time (miinus cones of course).

I try to go there every couple of weeks, during lunch, to practice my u-turns and slow maneuvers. It definitely helps me keep well practiced with this top heavy beast.. Plus, it's a lot of fun!! :)

I work right down the street from CSN where they have the MSF course setup all the time (miinus cones of course). I try to go there every couple of weeks, during lunch, to practice my u-turns and slow maneuvers. It definitely helps me keep well practiced with this top heavy beast.. Plus, it's a lot of fun!! :)
Which campus is that at?

I work right down the street from CSN where they have the MSF course setup all the time (miinus cones of course). I try to go there every couple of weeks, during lunch, to practice my u-turns and slow maneuvers. It definitely helps me keep well practiced with this top heavy beast.. Plus, it's a lot of fun!! :)
Which campus is that at?
Cheyenne. It's in the back next to the Campus Police motorpool.

Which campus is that at?
Cool. I will have to run over there and check it out. Probably time for me to take a refresher course! It's been a couple years since my last one...

Sorry for the thread hijack!!!

I do all the demos on my FJR. It build confidence for the younger riders seeing that big FJR do it.

Glad to hear that, I'm taking the advanced course in a couple of weeks and am really worried about my ability (being new to the bike) to do low-speed with it. Getting used to the higher COG and the monster power/torque!

Dan

Does anyone have the dimensions of that box? I wouldn't mind practicing that figure "8" before I take the advanced course.

bigjimbiker from Florida

I just took the MSF ERC course a couple weeks ago on my FJR and had no problems at all. Although having come off a Valkyrie Interstate and also still owning a VTX1800 (both 800 lbs +) the FJR feels light and nimble to me. That said, there were two guys who also passed the ERC and one rode a HD Ultra-Road-Electra-Glide-something or other and another was on a VTX1800 Retro and although they scraped pegs they had no problems doing the figure eights or any of the other exercises either. I would be wary of the riding abilities of anyone who couldn't pass the tests on an FJR. IMO it's a very responsive and manageable bike at both high and low speed.

Does anyone have the dimensions of that box? I wouldn't mind practicing that figure "8" before I take the advanced course.
bigjimbiker from Florida
28X70 For the ERC to start, then down to 24' at the end when(if) you test.

I've used the FJR for the BRC and ERC demos, the new Military Sport Bike Course and the Lee Parks course demos. Great bike for anything you want to throw at it. :clapping:

bigjimbiker from Florida
28X70 For the ERC to start, then down to 24' at the end when(if) you test.

I've used the FJR for the BRC and ERC demos, the new Military Sport Bike Course and the Lee Parks course demos. Great bike for anything you want to throw at it. :clapping:

Thanks Chris...bigjimbiker

I do all the demos on my FJR. It build confidence for the younger riders seeing that big FJR do it.
BRC demos? Interesting,I always use a training bike to provide confidence to the students so that they know the bikes their on will do what I'm asking them to do.

BRC demos? Interesting,I always use a training bike to provide confidence to the students so that they know the bikes their on will do what I'm asking them to do.
Besides, demoing on the training bikes is required, we are not showcasing our abilities, we are demonstrating the exercise.

And oddly enough, the big Harleys are easier to maneuver in the box than the FJR.

DC

Besides, demoing on the training bikes is required, we are not showcasing our abilities, we are demonstrating the exercise.

And oddly enough, the big Harleys are easier to maneuver in the box than the FJR.

DC
Actually it's not required when you teach a BRC using students own bikes. When using training bike's, then yes, demo on a trainer.

I haven't used a big Harley for demos, but I would think they would be fine. The lower mass would help to be more confident inspiring and the bar leverage would help maneuvering.

Last edited by a moderator:
My instructors were on Gold Wings showing us how to work the course. Figured if they could do it, no one else should have a problem. Only people with issues were the chopper guys. Long rake of the machines had problems working the tight course.

Which campus is that at?
Cool. I will have to run over there and check it out. Probably time for me to take a refresher course! It's been a couple years since my last one...

Sorry for the thread hijack!!!
Re-Hijack, let me know when you go, I expect to actually be in town for the next couple of weeks, and I could use a run through the course.

We now return you to the thread already in progress