Mt. St. Helens road status

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Steve G.

Reaction score
I heard that Windy Ridge [NFD99]is seriously washed out, and there's no serious fast plans to open it up. What's going on around there? I'm spending a week in and around John Day in late June, riding and stuff. Wanting to ride south from the back end of St. Helens, forget the road, to make my way to The Dalles and points south. I heard that even this north/south rd is washed out. Any updates would be great.

Cheers, Steve

I heard that Windy Ridge [NFD99]is seriously washed out, and there's no serious fast plans to open it up. What's going on around there? I'm spending a week in and around John Day in late June, riding and stuff. Wanting to ride south from the back end of St. Helens, forget the road, to make my way to The Dalles and points south. I heard that even this north/south rd is washed out. Any updates would be great.Cheers, Steve
I think the road has been like this since the 2007 storms that really pounded OR and WA States.

Dual sports would be the best mode of transport to get near Windy Ridge.

Pity they will not be fixing the road soon as it is one of my favorite summer rides.

Ride safe,

Taff.

My understanding is that Windy Ridge will only open to Bear Meadows, which I think is about 11 miles in. You'd have to walk or bicycle up to the viewpoint from there.
As of last month, FS25 from Randle was closed due to a slide.

You can get current road conditions here: https://www.fs.fed.us/gpnf/recreation/curre...ons/roads.shtml
Because of the slide, they can't even get to the snow. If there wasn't a slide, it would still be closed due to snow. Normally, you can't even think about 25 being open until June and most likely June 15th. Normally that is. Note, 23 and 25 usually open within a week of each other. Look closely, everything is still closed due to snow.