My first long trip on the Feej

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kolonial72

Reaction score
So I took a little trip recently. Rode from Lancaster, PA to Boone, North Carolina (505 miles) to meet my dad. Met him there on a Sunday afternoon at the Super 8. It started raining Sunday evening. Stayed in the freakin hotel room all night because of the rain. Oh, I was geared up, but the South Florida boy forgot to bring his warm clothes and rain gear. So we ordered in and catch some World Poker Tour from 2 years ago.

Next morning, it was still raining. Coming down pretty good, too. After breakfast I looked out the window and saw that the rain had subsided. I let the old man know, and we got ready to take off to Wally World for the purpose of – can you guess? – finding him some wet weather wear! Wouldn’t you know, we get outside and, damn, raining again. Rode to Wal-Mart anyway. Found him some warmer stuff and a rain coat that he could wear while riding. It had a big white ‘A’ on it for the Appalachian State University Mountaineers. Who, by the way, are the raining three-time Div I FCS National Champs. (Mounaineers hollah!)

Got back to the room, ordered in again, and let Pop warm up. His glove situation was still dicey and he had no rain gear for his legs. Legs that got soaked on the Wal-Mart trip. So I saw another break in the rain, and off we went to the closest MC store around (23 friggin miles?!?). Walked out of the hotel, and DAMMIT! It’s raining again. This was, in my opinion (and excellent wet weather gear), funny as hell. My dad, he was not so amused. I admit though, he toughed it out, and we found a nice setup for him to keep the drizzle off of him. Rode through an actual cloud on the way back to the room. Not fog, a cloud. On the road. That was a first for me. I think we were something like 3k and something feet above sea level.

Ordered in. Warmed up. Slept.

Next morning was absolutely beautiful. Looked like barely a wisp of cloud in the sky. With optimism and new unnecessary rain gear, my dad and I hit the road. Headed out to follow the Blue Ridge Parkway south toward 441. Just a few miles into it there was a detour that we had to use. It brought us back into Boone, right by the dang Wal-Mart, and within 2 miles of the hotel we were staying at. I was like, wtf? We had a good laugh about that.

Well enough of the blah blah, here’s some pics.

P5120002.jpg

P5120004.jpg

Here are two shots of our first stop. We tried to stop and get pics every 15 or 20 miles, but sometimes the riding was just to good.

P5120036.jpg

P5120037.jpg

For example, these roads exemplify the path of the BRP.

P5120010.jpg

P5120010.jpg

And here are some of the views.

P5120015.jpg

We were by far not the only riders out on the BRP.

P5120023.jpg

Here’s my dad along with his Harley. It’s slow, but then, so is he.

P5120020.jpg

And just so you don’t think I walked the whole thing, here’s the Feej. Grandfather Mountain is in the background.

P5120032.jpg

P5120033.jpg

Black Mountains Overlook provided one of my favorite vistas of the trip.

P5130046.jpg

P5130050.jpg

Here is another favorite view, this one from Buck Springs Gap.

Right around Mount Mitchell State Park, about 15 miles east of Asheville, the road was closed. Apparently the retaining wall gave way and part of the road fell down the side of the mountain. It was after finding this out that I found a nifty site to check for road closures: clicky

Ah well, at least the detour took us to State Road 80 South. The first 5 miles of that road were twisty and turny, kinda like a series of hairpins. And those curves were banked, so you could really lean the Feej over! Was going a pretty good clip through some very tight turns. And to my surprise, my dad kept up (more or less)!

Some where in here, we stopped on the outskirts of Asheville. If you never have to visit Asheville, you’re probably going to be alright. Urban sprawl, not much else. And the Super 8 there sucked. But, they did have a Hooters. (My dumb ass forgot to bring the camera!)

P5120041.jpg

P5120042.jpg

There were so many creeks and streams like this one. Most of the pics of them did not come out well. I just wish I had a sound file to go along with this pic. It’s so peaceful near these streams.

P5130068.jpg

The guy on the right is smiling ‘cause he is having a great time. The guy on the left is smiling ‘cause he is about to get $5 for posing for a picture.

After the brief stop in Cherokee, NC, we headed up 441. This was also a beautiful road, for the most part. There was some construction on 441, but once we cleared that, the road was a lot of fun. This road took us into Gatlinburg, TN. I really think that next time I take a trip down that way, I’ll stay in Gatlinburg for a day or two. Anyhow, the next morning found us packing up and hitting the road on our respective rides home. My dad had a short jaunt to his truck and trailer in Georgia. That’s right, his truck and trailer. Did I mention he rides a Harley? Me, I rode from Gatlinburg back to Lancaster, PA (580 miles). The last 1.5 hours of this leg was very wet – I almost outran the storm that was coming from the west! Total trip was almost 1600 miles. The Feej handled it admirably. My backside, a little less so. Had to stop every 140 to 150 miles, and not just for fuel. I like my Corbin Canyon Duo, I really do!

Thanks for reading my ride report. Hope you liked the pictures. (If you didn't like the pics, suck it.) I highly recommend the BRP, either in NC or Virginia. There are sooo many ltitle spots like Little Switzerland and Linville Falls. Enjoy!

Nice write up. I will be very shortly(within a couple weeks) taking two of my closest friends with me for a 1k in a day trip. we're goin from Plymouth MA, to Johnson City. By way of the Mohawk Trail. 1003 miles start o finish. We all want to earn out IBA pins together. I look forward to writing up a nice post like you.

Nice story. That's a beautiful part of the country. Your dad doesn't look old to me--I'm 53 though.

What kind of after market seat do you have and how do you like it?

Nice story. That's a beautiful part of the country. Your dad doesn't look old to me--I'm 53 though.
My dad turned 57 last month.

What kind of after market seat do you have and how do you like it?
I like it until I hit about 140-150 miles. Then it's time for an early fuel stop. SPORT is already giving me **** about it for our upcoming Nova Scotia trip, and we haven't even left yet! I'm going to try out a beaded cover to see if that helps. Also, there may be an issue with the bend in my legs. I might need something to raise my butt an inch or two. On this seat I can slide forward for a sportier position, or back if I want the little winglets to hold my cheeks. I can move around easily on the seat, but my butt grip (?) is decent.

If you're serious about LD riding, this is probably not the right seat.

Nice write-up! Mrs. BikerGeek and I rode a chunk of the BRP last year at EOM. Very, very nice road and scenery.

As for riding with your dad - I think that's awesome you guys take trips like that. We are heading out on a week-long trek with my dad beginning tomorrow. Should be a hoot.

And your description of getting rain gear... That's funny!

I'm going to try out a beaded cover to see if that helps.
Tell you what - I've got a BeadRider, front and rear, that's yours gratis if you want it. It helped on the stock seat. PM me your mailing address if you want it.

Just before SFO, I bought a Russell Day-Long off another board member. Best money I ever spent.

I also have a GenI Bill Mayer for sale. Check it out in the For Sale section if you're interested.

Ride safe,

BG

Nice write-up! Mrs. BikerGeek and I rode a chunk of the BRP last year at EOM. Very, very nice road and scenery.
As for riding with your dad - I think that's awesome you guys take trips like that. We are heading out on a week-long trek with my dad beginning tomorrow. Should be a hoot.

And your description of getting rain gear... That's funny!

I'm going to try out a beaded cover to see if that helps.
Tell you what - I've got a BeadRider, front and rear, that's yours gratis if you want it. It helped on the stock seat. PM me your mailing address if you want it.

Just before SFO, I bought a Russell Day-Long off another board member. Best money I ever spent.

I also have a GenI Bill Mayer for sale. Check it out in the For Sale section if you're interested.

Ride safe,

BG
Thanks! I had a custom Russell made for my FZ1 and it was both a terrible disappointment and a waste of money. It shoved me too far forward, into the tank and on to my arms and wrists, plus the bike is harder to control. It's just too short from front to back for the driver. I sent it back twice and they simply couldn't figure out how to get the angles and dimensions right, something Corbin did, but crafted their seat out of extra-hard concrete. I pulled off the Day-Long cover, chopped out some of the foam at the back of driver's seat and that helped a little, but not enough. But inside I found springs shimmed up with 1/4" plywood! Yeah, PLYWOOD!

Then at a rally at Port Jefferson, someone had a Day-Long made for his FJR and let me try it. It was exactly the same problem as my FZ1 seat, so, needless to say I didn't repeat the exercise.

However, if I can go 150 miles on a seat before I have to take a break, I'm THRILLED!

I'll look for your Bill Mayer. Maybe that's the seat for me.....

All the best,

YT

I've struck out on most custom seats so, I tried the non-custom take it or leave it Sargent and I actually like it. If the stock seat feels right and you want a bit more support and a little more room to spread your cheeks, or in my case, large bones.... it may be all you need.

I liked the stock seat when new, after a few thousand miles I was hitting the seat pan, so far after few thousand miles on the Sargent I still have some support and the foam is still keeping my 270 pounds planted without sliding my privates against the fuel tank causing undue damage.. I like the lack of wings too. :not_i: