My GPS died

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Whenever talk turns to GPSes, invariably there will be suggestions made for use of various automotive models in a sandwich bag.

Not being waterproof is not the big deal breaker in these cases. Not being able to pipe the audio into your helmet is the big deal breaker.

A GPS that requires you to constantly look down at the screen is worse than useless on a motorcycle, it is dangerous. Unfortunately the Nuvi 1690 falls into that category.

The old Nuvi 765T was a full featured automotive GPS, and it included an audio output jack as well as the ability to pair the audio to a Bluetooth headset. In fact, feature for feature it was the equivalent of a Zumo 660 except that it was not waterproof. But alas, that model has now been discontinued by Garmin. You may still be avble to find refurb units for sale at a reasonable (cheap) price.

There may be some other, newer models that include audio output jacks or blue tooth outputs. That is one feature that is a must have on a bike.
A GPS that requires you to constantly look down at the screen is worse than useless on a motorcycle, it is dangerous. Unfortunately the Nuvi 1690 falls into that category.

I don't entirely agree with this statement. I have trained myself with the Nuvi to understand how far it is to the next turn and then gauge when to look at the GPS briefly. If the next turn is 5 miles away I know I have 5 to 7 minutes to look at the GPS. If it is 20 miles away I will probably glance at the GPS a couple times during those 20 minutes.

This is a glance and not an extended stare. How many of us traveled with Route Maps tucked nicely into our tank bag map holders. Now that was dangerous in comparison.

While I will agree it would be preferable to have voice heard somehow (I use the external speaker in the 2710) I found a quick glance is all you need. If the GPS is positioned correctly this would be no more than glancing down at the speedometer or tach to gather this information.

For the newbee gettng a GPS they will probably make the same mistake that most of us did with a newly acquired GPS, looking at the screen instead of what is in front of you. The first near hit to the car in front of you generally cures and permanently breaks this habit and you realize the GPS is a tool not the pilot.

Given my response, I respect your warning to others for GPS's of this nature.

Willie

Last edited by a moderator:
Whenever talk turns to GPSes, invariably there will be suggestions made for use of various automotive models in a sandwich bag.

Not being waterproof is not the big deal breaker in these cases. Not being able to pipe the audio into your helmet is the big deal breaker.

The old Nuvi 765T was a full featured automotive GPS, and it included an audio output jack as well as the ability to pair the audio to a Bluetooth headset. In fact, feature for feature it was the equivalent of a Zumo 660 except that it was not waterproof. But alas, that model has now been discontinued by Garmin. You may still be avble to find refurb units for sale at a reasonable (cheap) price.

There may be some other, newer models that include audio output jacks or blue tooth outputs. That is one feature that is a must have on a bike.
The Nuvi 765T also has a microphone jack in addition to the audio output, and A2DT stereo Bluetooth. .You can still get this unit for under $150 refurbished and under $200 leftover new. Garmin has been consistent in discontinuing the best, and most capable of their products. I use the Streetpilot 2820 and Nuvi 765T for different missions and sometimes together. The 765T works well with an Autocom and actually handles 2-way phone conversations when the phone is paired through the GPS. The audio quality of the Nuvi is much better than the Streetpilot, but the display and detail on the Streetpilot remain superior, even though it lacks lane-assist and some other nice features.

Point being, if anyone is interested in getting the Nuvi 765T, now is the time to snap them up because they will become one of the legacy GPS units that people talk about much like the Streetpilots.

Yeah exactly. I guess I wasn't being enthusiastic enough. The 765T is a Zumo 660 without the waterproofing.

Nuvi 765T = ~ $200.

Zumo 660 = ~ $600

Lotta money for waterproofing. ;)