My Spencer Seat is Back

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I pulled the rubber bits for the ride home from work. That did help!!!!! Thanks for the suggestion.

I got the Spencer mod a couple of years ago and wasn't impressed. Just a placebo as far as I was concerned. A very small (coffee can size in diameter) piece of his material goes into the seat. Not worth $10 to me. Probably took less than 15 minutes to do the mod. I got an electric knife and did my own mod then added an Alaskan Sheepskin. Much better now. For a stock seat that is.

GP

I sent my OEM seat off to Florida to be "Spencerized". It looks exactly like my old seat because he uses the OEM cover, but it is far more comfortable than the original. I spent three hours on it Saturday with no hot spots or squirming issues. That would not have happened with the original. Before, I was ready for a break after 45 minutes. It's not perfect, but well worth the money. The seat left Texas on a Monday, arrived in Florida on Thursday, and he had it back in the mail to me by Friday. I had it back on my bike the following Wednesday (nine days).

To get the foam replaced in both front and rear seats cost me $100. Postage will run you another $50-$100. He can't make the seat any lower on FJRs, but there is more of a cutout feeling where your butt contacts the bike. He used e-mailed pictures to get an idea of my riding position and then cut the seat accordingly. He told me the break in period was "three tank-fulls", but after 500 miles I'm satisfied with the results. If it gets a lot better I'll report back.

I also bought an Alaska Leather sheepskin pad for the seat. It feels nice but requires some getting used to... feels funny to be sliding around on the seat. I will say that the pad fits the FJR perfectly.
here's my story....

https://fjriders.com/forum/showthread.php?4332-Seat-Saga-the-long-story-reworking-my-stock-seat