My Update

Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum

Help Support Yamaha FJR Motorcycle Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Best wishes for a successful surgery Adam! In case, pray for a ticker!! :D

Good luck, Adam. This is heavy duty surgery, but these guys and modern technology make it seem so simple. They going on pump or off? Open or endovascular vein harvesting? I would assume with your age you have good targets and could go off pump, but it is always surgeon's preference.

If I may, I would gladly share some light on his comment of 40% above, as this is the racket I am in. That percentage is his heart's ejection fraction, or EF. It is a measure of how much blood your heart squeezes out on each contraction (or beat). Normal hearts are in the range of 55-65%. For more, see Ejection Fraction, or Ejection Fraction. This number is important especially to patients with structural heart disorders, like heart attack victims, those with viral, idiopathic, or other cardiomyopathies (enlargement, etc). A reduced EF can occur, as an example, after a heart attack because some of the heart muscle is infarcted (dead), and the heart is less efficient. Severely low heart efficiency often leads to congestive heart failure, or CHF, which is a series of symptoms associated with the heart's inability to move enough blood, or equal amounts of blood to the body and lungs. Dying from pump failure (end stage CHF) is a horrible way to go, as it is slow and leads to systematic respiritory and renal failures.

Structural diseases of the heart can also lead to arrhythmias, like ventricular tachycardia or fibrillation. In these, the heart is quivering, rather than pumping, and this almost always result in sudden cardiac death. Atrial fibrillation is also common in patients with CHF, and is a disorder where your heart's physiologic pacemaker is overriden by many new "pacemakers" and the erratic signals leads to rapid and irregular heart rhythms. This disorder almost always requires anticoagulent or antithrombitic medication to reduce the resulting high risk of stroke.

In any event, we should all learn a lesson (as is what this forum does for us) from Adam's unfortunate events. If you have risk factors (family history, sedentary lifestyle, poor diet and/or clinical obesity, smoking, hypertension, poor lipoprotein profile, age, etc), you absolutely should bee seen by a cardiologist. If you ever feel chest pain during exertion, run, don't walk, to your cardiologist for an evaluation. Evaluations can be non-invasive like stress tests, nuclear scans, and CT's, or can be invasive like catheterizations.

Early evaluations are the key, because once a coronary artery becomes occluded, it is likely you will suffer muscle damage. It just snowballs from there - catheterizations, angioplasty, stents, bypass surgery, defibrillators, heart failure rehabilitation, etc. And don't even get me started on the medication list cardiac patients have to take and pay for. None of it is pretty or fun.

For more, on treatment options, see Who I work for. Yeah, its a shameless plug, but hey, I've got stock that needs to value. If anyone has any questions, post below or PM me. I'm not a physician, but I'll share what I can without diagnosing you!

-BD

Last edited by a moderator:
Geez BD next time my cadiologist gets to technical with me I'm looking you up.

Lessons to be learned here guys.

:jester:

Adam, hang in there guy......we need you to lead the pack again at a future SFO!

Tim

Hey Adam, if they can fix ticking Yami valves, they can fix anything.

We are praying for you Bro. And I am reserving you a free ride on Cherie at WFO!

Jeff

GB,

I've been following these posts since your fall, not really sure what to say...hoping you would get better real soon. But damm! One day you're barely conscious, the next day you're a postin' away!!

Man that is SO awesome!! I'm guessing you're going to be fine when you get thru all this medical stuff and am hoping to meet up with you at WFO6. Just retired and getting a bit tired of Maine winters. Giving some serious thought to moving south and wanted to catch up with you at WFO to hear about south MO.

I enjoy reading your posts...they are informative and intelligent...and I'm glad you're back. Best of luck with your surgery. When the girls start looking good, ya know you're getting better.

Charlie

Adam:

Good luck and get well soon. Thoughts and Prayers are with you for a speedy recovery.

Looking forward to another update after the surgery.

There you are! Adam, you don't know me... but I know that you've had a rough time... but all will be good. You take care, good luck in the morning. My very warmest & hearfelt wishes for great results & a quick recovery are there. Let us know how things go/are, ok?

Heidi

It's about midnight your time. I doubt you're sleeping, due to the anticipation, maybe some nerves and no doubt a nurse or doc is in your room every 5 seconds doing prepatory tests. Hopefully you'll be able to jump on the forum and see all the messages. Do what your docs say, don't do too much too soon, eat well and we'll see you in Park City :) . Hang tough, buddy.

Good luck, GB. But, let's not forget the important things here:

NOW is the time to pat the nurses on the fanny. Blame it on the meds. Fain semi-unconsciousness.

Good luck, GB. But, let's not forget the important things here:NOW is the time to pat the nurses on the fanny. Blame it on the meds. Fain semi-unconsciousness.
The only problem with that my dear friend scab...is the nurses can & probably will get even when Adams gone to sleep :blink: .... :eek: ....(he'll look funny all shaved though won't he :lol: )....